Starocci Talks like young Gilman...

Hammerlock3

Rememer when Gilman used to be Capt Iowa and gave a lot of long winded interviews where he was succeeded in being rude and boring at the same time? Starocci is the same way. No one ever seems to mention it, probably because he is so good he can get away with it to be honest.

• Fire 3

"Half measures are a coward's form of insanity."

You are correct on all counts. I'm a big fan and have been since high school. I always predicted big things from him. He is a very unique individual and is easy to dislike if you're not a PSU fan. But I would compare him more to Cassius Clay than Thomas Gilman. Not many loved Clay and even fewer young Ali, but fans worshiped Ali later because he dazzled fans, matured, and became less angry.

All that said, I would rather he not be so brash and disrespectful to his competitors. I think his mouth writes some checks his body can't cash right now. I know that he has plans for his brand and business career (which will revolve around that brand). If I were advising him, I would suggest he work to increase his likeability quotient. It will probably come naturally with age as it did with Ali and Gilman.

1 hour ago, 82bordeaux said:

You are correct on all counts. I'm a big fan and have been since high school. I always predicted big things from him. He is a very unique individual and is easy to dislike if you're not a PSU fan. But I would compare him more to Cassius Clay than Thomas Gilman. Not many loved Clay and even fewer young Ali, but fans worshiped Ali later because he dazzled fans, matured, and became less angry.

All that said, I would rather he not be so brash and disrespectful to his competitors. I think his mouth writes some checks his body can't cash right now. I know that he has plans for his brand and business career (which will revolve around that brand). If I were advising him, I would suggest he work to increase his likeability quotient. It will probably come naturally with age as it did with Ali and Gilman.

Reminds me of a great photo...LIFE ! 映画 - Google 検索 | Life magazine covers, Life ...

• Fire 1

1 hour ago, Fadzaev2 said:

Reminds me of a great photo...LIFE ! 映画 - Google 検索 | Life magazine covers, Life ...

Except he wasn't really taunting him. He was telling him to get up because no one would believe it.

One interesting thing about the photo is when you look at the film. This pose was just a split second.

Edited by gimpeltf
  • Fire 1

26 minutes ago, Jimmy Cinnabon said:

Imagine if Starrocci were on your favorite team.  Would you like him?  If the answer is yes then it's just your bias showing because he competes for the Nittany Lions.

at least he doesnt welch on bets

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, Jimmy Cinnabon said:

Imagine if Starrocci were on your favorite team.  Would you like him?  If the answer is yes then it's just your bias showing because he competes for the Nittany Lions.

There's no way that's your takeaway from his comment.  

• Fire 1

2 minutes ago, flyingcement said:

Yeah I also got this from him.  Maybe he can improve his wit over time.  Gilman is a bit different now isn't he?

gilman grew up. he said in one interview on senior level teams he used to be all stand offish with the PSU guys....then he realized that was stupid.

7 hours ago, flyingcement said:

Yeah I also got this from him.  Maybe he can improve his wit over time.  Gilman is a bit different now isn't he?

Gilman used to be provocative but not particularly funny while he was on his diatribes speaking at those low ceiling, linoleum floored restaurants that Iowa would hold banquets in. Over time he has matured, become self-deprecating, and funny. Maybe Carter will follow that path, and perhaps not. One difference between the two? Standing on top of the podium in March.

• Haha 1

16 hours ago, Hammerlock3 said:

Rememer when Gilman used to be Capt Iowa and gave a lot of long winded interviews where he was succeeded in being rude and boring at the same time? Starocci is the same way. No one ever seems to mention it, probably because he is so good he can get away with it to be honest.

Good comparison. Both Starocci and younger Gilman seem like ultra-competitors who were just bad at trash talking and overcompensating. 

There was some preseason fundraising event a while back that Iowa, ISU and UNI we’re all at. Gilman went to rep Iowa while Dresser and Schwab went for ISU and UNI. When Gilman went up to speak his attempt at roasting left out any humor and was really just a couple of dumb angry insults of the other two programs. They fell flat and people were kind of laughing at Gilman, including both Dresser and Schwab. There was a clip of this somewhere.

4 hours ago, BuckyBadger said:

Good comparison. Both Starocci and younger Gilman seem like ultra-competitors who were just bad at trash talking and overcompensating. 

There was some preseason fundraising event a while back that Iowa, ISU and UNI we’re all at. Gilman went to rep Iowa while Dresser and Schwab went for ISU and UNI. When Gilman went up to speak his attempt at roasting left out any humor and was really just a couple of dumb angry insults of the other two programs. They fell flat and people were kind of laughing at Gilman, including both Dresser and Schwab. There was a clip of this somewhere.

The good ol Fight Night! Yeah Gillman's showing there was bad, I mean he couldn't even come up with a joke about Illinois wrestling. It is a great concept, get all of the HS & college coaches from the state to give a sneak peak about each program. A great opportunity to get together, drink beer, and talk wrestling. 

5 hours ago, BuckyBadger said:

I'd forgotten that cringe, "go hawks" grunted into an empty tomb.

The difference is Gilman was a less consistent performer, so he'd get roasted on occasion. I don't think you can back up lame trash talk, but until starocci get humbled on a mat people are gonna have to take it.

24 minutes ago, Hammerlock3 said:

I'd forgotten that cringe, "go hawks" grunted into an empty tomb.

The difference is Gilman was a less consistent performer, so he'd get roasted on occasion. I don't think you can back up lame trash talk, but until starocci get humbled on a mat people are gonna have to take it.

Agreed, but to your original point his interviews are cringe-worthy. He comes off as very unlikeable, which I’m sure he’s not concerned with. If he can back it up…

21 hours ago, 82bordeaux said:

Totally disagree. Ali, even when hated, was charismatic, creative, clever and funny. Starocci is none of those things. It's coach/athlete speak minus the typical respect for the opponent. When he starts trash talking in rhymes, let me know.

• Fire 2

1 hour ago, uncle bernard said:

Totally disagree. Ali, even when hated, was charismatic, creative, clever and funny. Starocci is none of those things. It's coach/athlete speak minus the typical respect for the opponent. When he starts trash talking in rhymes, let me know.

I'll give you the fact that Ali was a bit of a stretch on my part. But time will tell how he presents himself as he gets older. As I also said, I'm not a fan of the disrespectful way he has spoken about his opponents. I wish he'd clean that up. Everyone that steps on the mat with him deserves a great deal of respect. Especially those that have more points on the board than him.

3 hours ago, bnwtwg said:

Reminds me of Bo Nickal shit talking without the Gorrarian dominance

What exactly have either of them said that would qualify as "shit talking"?  I've only heard them say things like I train to be the best, I believe I am the best wrestler, etc.  Never trashing their opponents, but only expressing confidence in their own abilities.  I'd call this confident talk, maybe even boastful, but it's certainly not shit talking.

• Fire 1