Eliminate redshirting

Dark Energy

35 minutes ago, Formally140 said:

I think people need to really confront whether or not they want to grow the sport. Which can is being done.. or decide if they want it to only become a primarily upper middle and upper class club sport. But I don’t think people are willing to confront the reality. 

What I’ve also noticed is that there is a certain subset of people that seem to be against anything that’s makes it more possible for a kid who started later, to catch up to the kid that was dragged around the country and had a bunch of money spent on them from a young age. 

It will be interesting to see how it goes the next few years

So what's a possible solution?  I don't see a Rs helping on that.  The kid could just be in the room getting better for two years start as a Jr.  With a Rs he might be in the room for two years start as a rSo but he's competing against guys who came in ahead of him and took a Rs thus has he gained any ground.  Now if he didn't do all the travel, the parents saved the money for college, invested in education etc. then he should be ahead of the others and not need the Rs for academic reasons.  I don't see any simple solutions.

• Fire 1

54 minutes ago, ionel said:

So what's a possible solution?  I don't see a Rs helping on that.  The kid could just be in the room getting better for two years start as a Jr.  With a Rs he might be in the room for two years start as a rSo but he's competing against guys who came in ahead of him and took a Rs thus has he gained any ground.  Now if he didn't do all the travel, the parents saved the money for college, invested in education etc. then he should be ahead of the others and not need the Rs for academic reasons.  I don't see any simple solutions.

There’s not any simple solutions. As far as the thread. Some of the views seem either naive or bitter due to not getting the same chances

• Fire 2

1 hour ago, Formally140 said:

There’s not any simple solutions. As far as the thread. Some of the views seem either naive or bitter due to not getting the same chances

I swear to god whoever calls Waste Management and gets this thread shut down, just when we are FINALLY hitting our stride all the way down on page 6 is going to meet up behind the monkey bars after school

• Fire 1

i am an idiot on the internet

2 hours ago, Formally140 said:

5 hours ago bnwtwg said:

I swear to god whoever calls Waste Management and gets this thread shut down, just when we are FINALLY hitting our stride all the way down on page 6 is going to meet up behind the monkey bars after school

I'm optimistic that this site will not be TheMat II.

6 hours ago, 1032004 said:

I wasn’t necessarily talking about the “outcomes” of grayshirting, just the people who are more likely to do it.  I did mention I don’t even think grayshirting is really much of a problem in wrestling currently - and really outside of the Ivy League it may not have resulted in much benefit.  At Penn State it seems to just mean you’ll get recruited over.

Can you clarify your last paragraph?  Are you saying living in a “flophouse” is or is not cost prohibitive?

Obviously a typo. Plenty of affordable off-campus housing in many cities/towns with top D1 wrestling programs-especially if you are living simply.

What is the point of even mentioning grayshirting if you agree it has little to do with success in D1 wrestling? Children of privilege can go to Switzerland for holiday skiing-- does that have any relevance to wrestling performance?

For a child to have access to top clubs and an environment to maximize their potential in wrestling often requires a highly involved parent, typically the father. It is unfortunate that many children do not have a stable nuclear family life to maximize their potential in all aspects of development. However, to invoke privilege (as the term was traditionally used) is inappropriate. 

The boys in Iran and Dagestan/Ossetia would get a good laugh at the notion of their own privilege.

This will PROVE......I am OLD........

Back in the day...... freshmen not eligible for NCAA's..... I went 26-0 as a freshman ......couldn't stay healthy after that . Between tore up knees and mono I only wrestled another 15-20 or so matches. Would have loved to have gotten the chance my freshman year. But to answer the question......... I say let those involved decide.

On 11/9/2022 at 5:52 PM, Theo Brixton said:

Obviously a typo. Plenty of affordable off-campus housing in many cities/towns with top D1 wrestling programs-especially if you are living simply.

What is the point of even mentioning grayshirting if you agree it has little to do with success in D1 wrestling? Children of privilege can go to Switzerland for holiday skiing-- does that have any relevance to wrestling performance?

For a child to have access to top clubs and an environment to maximize their potential in wrestling often requires a highly involved parent, typically the father. It is unfortunate that many children do not have a stable nuclear family life to maximize their potential in all aspects of development. However, to invoke privilege (as the term was traditionally used) is inappropriate. 

The boys in Iran and Dagestan/Ossetia would get a good laugh at the notion of their own privilege.

I wasn’t the one that brought up grayshirting.  But I called out that OP didn’t seem to care to restrict grayshirting despite wanting to eliminate redshirting.  And while I don’t think grayshirting is currently an issue in wrestling, it will be if redshirting is eliminated.

I don’t think it’s really fair to compare to Iran/Dagestan/Ossetia.  Wrestling is a means to a good living there and a way out of poverty, more similar to baseball/soccer in Latin America or basketball/football in US inner cities.

• Confused 1

6 hours ago, Husker_Du said:

@Dark Energy

i love the idea and i'm going to talk about it on the show on monday.

one of the reasons i love message boards. very intelligent community (this side of NJ Dan) that has great ideas and fosters great discussion (and perhaps sometimes change)

Speaking of which, Brooklyn Dodger has been mute (and doesn't even appear when I @ him). What did you do @Husker_Du?

Drowning in data, but thirsting for knowledge