Locks for a national title?

Packard

Do we see any locks for a national championship this year? So far I have 3

Spencer Lee

Real Woods

Aaron Brooks (yes, he lost, but lightening doesn’t strike twice)

In my opinion, every other weight has a viable contender to knock off the top guy. 

I’d go in this order

Spencer, Brooks, RBY, Yianni, Starocci, O’Toole, Austin O’Connor, Real Woods, Mason Parris, hopefully my guy Tanner Sloan 

I feel pretty confident about the first 5, not as much about the last five

I agree that it’s too soon to call O’Toole a lock, but now that he’s healthy again, I don’t see him being challenged. He just majored Sheets, who Carr barely beat, and Griffith doesn’t seem to have improved much, although he does peak for NCAA’s. He probably doesn’t move to lock territory unless he wins convincingly this year. 

4 hours ago, Packard said:

Do we see any locks for a national championship this year? So far I have 3

Spencer Lee

Real Woods

Aaron Brooks (yes, he lost, but lightening doesn’t strike twice)

In my opinion, every other weight has a viable contender to knock off the top guy. 

Lee is as close to a lock as you can get this year, but there's ALMOST never a "lock." Stevenson being the closest last year. 

I really think Lee can be beaten. Not likely, but as likely as Metcalf. 

I don't think I'd have Woods anywhere close to a lock. If I had to rank the most likely, it'd be Lee, Brooks, Starroci and then...I don't think I could think of a 4th "lock." O'Toole's a strong favorite. Too many locks have gotten beat for me to come up with more than Lee and, as I said, I think Glory MIGHT be able to put together the game plan to beat him if Glory is fat and healthy for that Sat Night.

2 hours ago, Wrestleknownothing said:

Spencer Lee and Yianni Diakomihalis are as close to a lock as I see, but not locks.

We live in a world with Larry Owings.

Jesus...I don't know how Yianni slipped my mind.

Yeah, I'll revise it to Lee and Yianni as the two closest to being locks. 

Can't see Gomez repeating his early season feat(even if he's healthy). 

Agree that Gable was more of a sure bet than a not-healthy Spencer but the field is pretty soft at 125. Glory won't make the finals. It'll be somebody like McKee or Cronin getting hot and having a good draw until they run into Lee. My only question is whether 2nd or 3rd period Lee could get out from underneath if a physical wrestler throws in double boots.

9 minutes ago, Jerry Callo said:

I think Parris is more of a “lock” than either Woods or anyone at 157.  
CASS gave it his best shot and was not REALLY that close to beating him.  

I think a case could be made for awarding Parris the Hodge if he wins it all. Impressive body of work this season, he's been competing on another level.

1 minute ago, CHROMEBIRD said:

Agree that Gable was more of a sure bet than a not-healthy Spencer but the field is pretty soft at 125. Glory won't make the finals. It'll be somebody like McKee or Cronin getting hot and having a good draw until they run into Lee. My only question is whether 2nd or 3rd period Lee could get out from underneath if a physical wrestler throws in double boots.

Well...I don't know about that, but IF Glory makes the finals, he's the guy who can do it. 

1 minute ago, CHROMEBIRD said:

I think a case could be made for awarding Parris the Hodge if he wins it all. Impressive body of work this season, he's been competing on another level.

No way.  1st time champ with when you have multiple 4x champs and multiple 3x champs....is not getting the Hodge unless he pins his way through NCAAs.

7 minutes ago, Jimmy Cinnabon said:

No way.  1st time champ with when you have multiple 4x champs and multiple 3x champs....is not getting the Hodge unless he pins his way through NCAAs.

It's supposed to be based on the current season foremost with prior championships an ancillary factor, but that would assume that the voting actually follows its own criteria...