Step Aside Pennsylvania

Wrestleknownothing

10 minutes ago, Interviewed_at_Weehawken said:

In 1787, Ohio was considered part of the Northwestern US!

In 1400 Ireland was considered far west

Well there was that Greenland thing, correct?  😉

Edited by ionel
  • Fire 1

1 hour ago, Scouts Honor said:

In 1854 Horace Greeley, a New York newspaper editor, gave Josiah B. Grinnell a famous piece of advice. "Go West, young man, and grow up with the country," said Greeley. Grinnell took Greeley's advice, moved west, and later founded Grinnell, Iowa.

Unsubstantiated. Or as Greeley called it, "Fake news." 

1 hour ago, Scouts Honor said:

In 1854 Horace Greeley, a New York newspaper editor, gave Josiah B. Grinnell a famous piece of advice. "Go West, young man, and grow up with the country," said Greeley. Grinnell took Greeley's advice, moved west, and later founded Grinnell, Iowa.

Fake news!

3 hours ago, Wrestleknownothing said:

I am one of maybe a dozen people who saw that movie in the theater.

Nice... I did too...make that a baker's dozen. I thought the new one was well done and kept the spirit of the original and the book. 

Sponsored by INTERMAT ⭐⭐⭐⭐

West in this context is a relative term and I read that we are talking of going West from PA to find the mecca of points per million (PPM).  All the other quibbling has been mildly amusing to read but the original poster is Fact Checked as Right Enough for me.

In another West context is this.  HAIL!

• Fire 1

14 hours ago, GreatWhiteNorth said:

After further review, I've got to agree with LJB here.

ND is the west edge of the 'midwest', but not quite proper 'west.' Also, a point worth mentioning, NDSU is basically on the ND/MN border - more east by the length of ND.

In any case, good stuff on this thread.

map-of-midwest-states-scaled.jpeg

And now we know why Michigan wrestlers are always at the top of the podium in  underwater wrestling tournaments.

6 minutes ago, Alces Alces Gigas said:

Ever been to the west end of the Dakotas?    Great out not plains 

Yep and flown over them Great Plains all the way up to Saskatchewan.  Sure the far west edge has some big rocks doesn't make the whole state mountain.  

7 minutes ago, flyingcement said:

Neither been to either Dakota or the Big Sky country.  Gonna do a trip for ten year wedding anniversary either to Montana, Wyoming or Alaska 

If you do Montana Wyoming add Idaho to the trip.  Haven't done Alaska yet but everyone that I know who's done it says 2 1/2 weeks minimum and even that is not really enough time

• Fire 1

I Don't Agree With What I Posted

5 minutes ago, PortaJohn said:

If you do Montana Wyoming add Idaho to the trip.  Haven't done Alaska yet but everyone that I know who's done it says 2 1/2 weeks minimum and even that is not really enough time

Depends on how much starch you can handle.  

Edited by ionel

1 hour ago, ionel said:

Back in the day you could fly thru the arch but not nomore, so is it really a "gateway" to anywhere now?  

Actually, St Louis was guilty of spreading misinformation with the arch claim. The vast majority of wagon trains taking settlers out west left from St Joseph, Mo, north and quite a bit west of St Louis.