Micah Parsons - PSU Football - quit wrestling

Dark Energy

1 hour ago, jchapman said:

But we don’t really need a weight class between 197 and 285… lol

Since he only wrestled up until high school his weigh cutting comment didnt' have anything to do with college weights... lol 

Sponsored by INTERMAT ⭐⭐⭐⭐

15 hours ago, GreatWhiteNorth said:

Micah was being polite. I, for one, appreciated that.

If he was being bluntly honest, he'd say "Easy choice, no money in wrestling. NFL is where the money is."

If he was born in Russia though we'de be talking about The Great Parsonlaev.

20 hours ago, Le duke said:

I know some people who can’t do match without a calculator would be super pissed but we realllllly need to go to UWW weights.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

When trying to mock people who are bad at math is it customary to treat English as a second language?

• Fire 1
  • Haha 1

22 hours ago, jchapman said:

But we don’t really need a weight class between 197 and 285… lol

I mean...pretty sure you're not getting the 4th overall recruit in the class to Wrestle rather than play Football, but sure. 

The only problem I have is that I think the HWT division would be weak. Kerk, Cass were both ~220 and may have stayed there(less likely Kerk, but Cass probably). Davidson, Elam(either ones), Hillger, Trumble, Laird(and a whole lot more guys...probably Feldman...and then Snyder would have been a HWT and we'd have missed an all time great HWT finals match). 

I think 220 would be a great weight class. HWT would be a very weak one...most years. Not a good enough reason to make guys cut an unhealthy amount to go from 225 to 197 or have a HWT eat 12,000 calories a day which...when he does it shows his dedication, but when I do it I'm "killing myself," and am "morbidly obese." Silly double standards aside, it'd be worth it.

3 hours ago, Scouts Honor said:

as a stud... which i am sure he is.. why would he have had to cut

Yeah, that's the thing. I don't think he actually did. He said he went from 187 one year to 210 the next year. Well, he came out of  High School weighing 215. So he'd have been able to fit into 220 easily. 

I don't actually think HE quit because he "had" to cut. I just don't buy it...particularly since he quit before HS. He said his passion was Football, and he was ALREADY getting attention by the time he was a Freshmen in HS for FB. BUT I don't think it's all that important why he said it or if HE actually did quit for that reason, I think the fact that you do have guys who quit because of their Football aspirations is the problem. So if he was maybe a little full of it, it's immaterial, it's a reality of the sport.

It's not an issue with weight classes, I think it's a problem at schools where the FB coach discourages Wrestling on the basis that they'll have to cut and that'll interrupt their lifting and building, and then Wrestling coaches who push weight cutting at the HS level and drive Football players. They changed the weight classes to more than accommodate for Football players. 

• Fire 2

4 minutes ago, jchapman said:

He said he quit because he was sick of cutting weight, and we have multiple people coming on here saying they don’t believe him.  Why?

Because of the context in which he said it. He quit before HS. He said 'He'd be weighing 187 one year and then 210 the next year, and my passion was Football, I knew that's what I was gonna do." So he cited weights from his Jr and Sr, didn't go out as a Freshmen and instead picked Basketball. So who was pushing weight cutting onto him?

And I don't believe coaches were taking a National Champ and making him to cut to 182 rather than let him Wrestle at 195 if he so choose.

We're agreeing with the larger point, but I don't think it makes sense in this particular case. I think it was a component of the sport he didn't like and not the actual reason.

I'm skeptical...that's all. The story doesn't make sense to me. He was a great athlete, great FB player and a great BB player. Seems like he just...had more fun playing Basketball. 

• Fire 1

5 hours ago, jchapman said:

He said he quit because he was sick of cutting weight, and we have multiple people coming on here saying they don’t believe him.  Why?

I’m assuming this is rhetorical, yes?

• Fire 1

Is there a link to the interview?  I don’t recall the exact words, I know he talked about cutting weight, but I don’t recall him saying that was why he stopped wrestling.  I thought he said “he knew his passion was football” or something

• Fire 1

23 hours ago, 1032004 said:

Is there a link to the interview?  I don’t recall the exact words, I know he talked about cutting weight, but I don’t recall him saying that was why he stopped wrestling.  I thought he said “he knew his passion was football” or something

He did...and again, he never HAD to cut weight to Wrestle for any HS team. He CHOOSE to play Basketball. 

He wasn't a guy who coaches were going to say "cut or you're not going to wrestle." It's possible he may have been on a stacked team and not wrestled early on without cutting(unlikely, but possible) but he never even got to that point. He went straight to Basketball. 

So when was this weight cutting? He was a big guy. 

The guy choose Football and Basketball.

On 1/29/2023 at 5:29 AM, Jason Bryant said:

How much context can you drop in a three minute standup? Hardly enough ... jeez people. 

Plenty...particularly when you know more about his history in the sport as it's not a secret.

Again, it's not like he was made to cut down to 195 as a Sr when he was weighing 215 and FB was his goal.

He NEVER Wrestled in HS. Frankly it sounds more like guys who didn't really Wrestle a lot and then tell you how much they hated cutting. The only difference, we know he was really good ats a kid.

But he AGAIN, never even Wrestled in HS. 
He played Basketball along with Football.

Said Football was his passion. 

That's enough context for me that he wasn't being forced or even asked to cut weight and that was the driving force behind him cutting weight. 

As I said, this shouldn't even be about Parsons, it's a larger conversation, but if you're asking given what we know about him, AND what he said in that interview...if it makes sense that he quit because of the weight cutting, I don't believe it. It makes more sense that he knew he was gonna play Football, he loved Basketball(it's just a lot more fun for most people and as a 6'4 freak athlete, I'm sure he was pretty damn good at it). 

It's not impugning his integrity(though a little event at PSU did that a little bit). I'm just saying it felt like it was more of a throwaway line. 

simply eating healthy as a lifestyle to have your body at your optimum weight is considered "cutting" to some in pre-high school wrestling...

any amount of discipline is tough for most and i do not blame any kid who has a legitimate choice to choose the easier, more glamorous, more financially stable path once they get a taste of what even the average wrestler does in high school...

19 minutes ago, LJB said:

simply eating healthy as a lifestyle to have your body at your optimum weight is considered "cutting" to some in pre-high school wrestling...

any amount of discipline is tough for most and i do not blame any kid who has a legitimate choice to choose the easier, more glamorous, more financially stable path once they get a taste of what even the average wrestler does in high school...

Good, I was worried you were blaming kids.

Craig Henning got screwed in the 2007 NCAA Finals.

On 1/27/2023 at 10:40 PM, Jimmy Cinnabon said:

I think he made the right decision.  He's gonna make like $150mm in his career playing football.  Even a GOAT like Spencer Lee would be lucky to make $150k in his career wrestling.

Spencer will make more than that wrestling even if his senior level career is considered a flop.