Tom Brands hasn’t seen anyone better than Lee

Eagle26

Just now, LJB said:

you clearly missed the BC post on the googlewebs years ago that clearly showed he was 3 years older than what some of us thought at the time...

Yes, I missed that.  Only thing I know on the issue is that Russia put his birthdate as May of 1996 which contradicts what he stated on his own page as October of 1994

I Don't Agree With What I Posted

1 minute ago, PortaJohn said:

Yes, I missed that.  Only thing I know on the issue is that Russia put his birthdate as May of 1996 which contradicts what he stated on his own page as October of 1994

personally, i do not care about the BC shenanigans because i know how much a club in russia/hungary/(insert your favorite country here) can benefit from an age level world medal...

the overall benefit far outweighs any perceived slight from a country that does not support its athletes...

2 minutes ago, MPhillips said:

I don't believe that camp is shrinking either.

i remember when lee was mean mugging my then 12 year old kid at trials years ago in vegas...

i texted the wife (at the time) what the hell?

then i realized the kid was wearing a team big hoodie...

lee was a force at one time...

the NCAA and our predatory system of chewing up our best athletes and spitting them out when we are done with them ruined what might have been...

again...

totally on him and his decisions... if that is what he wanted then i support HIS  decisions...

3 minutes ago, LJB said:

personally, i do not care about the BC shenanigans because i know how much a club in russia/hungary/(insert your favorite country here) can benefit from an age level world medal...

the overall benefit far outweighs any perceived slight from a country that does not support its athletes...

I agree.  Also, I think this will change in our lifetime but for now I can't think of one American wrestler that would crack the top 5 of "greatest Russian Freestyle wrestlers of All Time".  10 to 15 years from now I'm confident that will change

I Don't Agree With What I Posted

Just now, PortaJohn said:

I agree.  Also, I think this will change in our lifetime but for now I can't think of one American wrestler that would crack the top 5 of "greatest Russian Freestyle wrestlers of All Time".  10 to 15 years from now I'm confident that will change

there is nothing i disagree with in that post...

55 minutes ago, PortaJohn said:

He won Men's worlds in 2014 for the first time not Juniors.  If you go by his Facebook page birthdate, October 1994, he was 19 years old when he won it  

Facebook birthdate? Do you think he logs into meta daily?  Do you think facebook or wiki are accurate? I'm only 99 in mine!

He was several years too old when he won juniors.  Yes, that doesn't matter when you win men's, but still very scummy.

To Karelin's credit, he wants to end Russia's age group cheating.

BTW Yianni is on record that Vito told him that the guy he wrestled in cadet finals was like 20.  Supposedly Vito was training at the guys club in Russia and found this out.  This was very common.  

Edited by Interviewed_at_Weehawken

Deep water.  Lee needs to watch out if someone can take him into deep water.  In watching the match vs. Barnett, I couldn't help but think that Lee was staggering and winded.  Granted, we know the result, but that caught my eye.  If he wrestled NATO or Suriano now, I'm not sure he'd have the tank to win.

• Fire 1

17 minutes ago, Interviewed_at_Weehawken said:

Facebook birthdate? Do you think he logs into meta daily?  Do you think facebook or wiki are accurate? I'm only 99 in mine!

He was several years too old when he won juniors.  Yes, that doesn't matter when you win men's, but still very scummy.

To Karelin's credit, he wants to end Russia's age group cheating.

BTW Yianni is on record that Vito told him that the guy he wrestled in cadet finals was like 20.  Supposedly Vito was training at the guys club in Russia and found this out.  This was very common.  

not to split hairs, but...

sad went from winning "cadets" to winning seniors...

• Fire 1

39 minutes ago, treep2000 said:

Deep water.  Lee needs to watch out if someone can take him into deep water.  In watching the match vs. Barnett, I couldn't help but think that Lee was staggering and winded.  Granted, we know the result, but that caught my eye.  If he wrestled NATO or Suriano now, I'm not sure he'd have the tank to win.

It's such a crazy standard Lee is held to vs. literally any college wrestler i can remember. "Yeah, sure, he reversed and pinned his returning AA, top 10 ranked opponent while being up huge, on the tail end of a streak of pinning 7 wrestlers in the first period. Including two separate third ranked guys,.but I see flaws...."

• Fire 5

Lee .. destroyer of worlds. Thanos vs Lee is rumored to be the next Marvel movie. Apparently Thanos erases everyone's ACLs from existence in order to decrease the human population and even worse calls Brands an Orange. Lee is the only person who can still function at a high level and seeks vengeance.

Sent from my Pixel 6 Pro using Tapatalk

• Haha 1

30 minutes ago, Ponzi said:

I guess Lee is level-headed enough so it should not be a problem, but isn't the common coaching wisdom to downplay your guy's ability at least a little so he doesn't get coky or complacent?

for average athletes i would agree...

for the absolute best on the planet you want them to know they are the destroyer of worlds before they even step on that mat... 

they should be pissed that someone else even thinks they have a chance...

false bravado or not, if you don't have that amount of psychosis then just stick to small pond of folk...

• Fire 3

I was a little taken back when Brands compared him to the Russian greats as well. Clearly, he has no where near the accomplishments. However, I guess he was referring to the talent that he sees in him. Lee was dominating international competition too at age level, so he certainly has that capability. He just sacrificed his body for NCAA wrestling, so unfortunately we never got to see it.

• Fire 1

you all forget Lee's first time at cadets...

got rolled up...

then he beat up a bunch of little kids at 50kg...

then got chased down from 55 to go beat up some more little kids...

it is a laughable assertion that Lee is among the all time greats... 

technically, Lee has never separated himself as a wrestler... 

but he can definitely beat up some runts and mids in the c league...

• Haha 1

I'll leave the speculation up to the Brands and others on here about his overall greatness compared to the Ruskies...but what I will say is he is one of the best in the NCAA's that I have ever seen.  Even wading through all the nit picking that some on here like to do, to see him dismantle Top 10 competition like he is is once in a lifetime stuff...much like watching Cael.  My prediction on the international front, he will win a gold or two and be done, again much like Cael, and then take over the Iowa program.  

Despite loathing the Hawks, Lee is someone I would pay to watch.

• Fire 2

2 hours ago, LJB said:

you all forget Lee's first time at cadets...

got rolled up...

then he beat up a bunch of little kids at 50kg...

then got chased down from 55 to go beat up some more little kids...

it is a laughable assertion that Lee is among the all time greats... 

technically, Lee has never separated himself as a wrestler... 

but he can definitely beat up some runts and mids in the c league...

Minus the Cinnabon, this might be the front runner for dumbest post of 2023 so far. Great work!

Edited by Jamie_Taco
  • Fire 1

53 minutes ago, Jamie_Taco said:

Minus the Cinnabon, this might be the front runner for dumbest post of 2023 so far. Great work!

Stick around… 

I will say way “dumber” things than that…

particularly when it all was factually correct…

lee was 100lbs when he was 10… then a myth got built while he physically dominated kids just passing through his weight…

He is not a technical wrestler… he is a brute and impressive in that regard…

there is no correlation between international cadet success and international senior success…

there is no correlation between junior success at 50kg and senior success…

the weight class does not even exist because of how irrelevant it is nowadays…

He will without a doubt go down as one of the best poo style wrestlers of all time and rightfully so…

But…

small pond…

The suggestion he is an all time great is truly laughable…

could he have been?

quite possibly had he chosen a bigger path…

he didn’t…

and that is on him…

• Fire 1

If he was just talking about college wrestling, although incorrect, I could at least understand his perspective. Iowa wrestler, 4xer, extremely high bonus rate, etc. But when he starts talking about all time?? That's when I have to wonder if he's got CTE. Maybe all that jumping around begging for stall calls and watching his guys melt in big matches has scrambled his brains? Spencer Lee has zero senior international accolades. Zero. Nobody cares what he did when he was 17. He needs to stay healthy (which is a big ask apparently) and be dominate on the senior level for at least 10 years if he wants to enter that conversation.

• Fire 2

26 minutes ago, LJB said:

Stick around… 

I will say way “dumber” things than that…

particularly when it all was factually correct…

lee was 100lbs when he was 10… then a myth got built while he physically dominated kids just passing through his weight…

He is not a technical wrestler… he is a brute and impressive in that regard…

there is no correlation between international cadet success and international senior success…

there is no correlation between junior success at 50kg and senior success…

the weight class does not even exist because of how irrelevant it is nowadays…

He will without a doubt go down as one of the best poo style wrestlers of all time and rightfully so…

But…

small pond…

The suggestion he is an all time great is truly laughable…

could he have been?

quite possibly had he chosen a bigger path…

he didn’t…

and that is on him…

This man is really trying to state "he can definitely beat up some runts and mids in the c league" as fact LOL.

Show us on the doll where Spencer Lee touch you..