Sammy Alvarez to Oklahoma State

feet2back

Quit at Rutgers after he didn't make weight AGAIN. Now at his 3rd college (NC State, Rutgers and Oklahoma State). Probably will finish up somewhere else after not making 125 for Okie State. Rutgers is already better off at 141 with Joey Oliveri

Edited by feet2back
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, feet2back said:

Quit at Rutgers after he didn't make weight AGAIN. Now at his 3rd college (NC State, Rutgers and Oklahoma State). Probably will finish up somewhere else after not making 125 for Okie State. Rutgers is already better off at 141 with Joey Oliveri

No they are not better off with oliveri lol oliveri is solid and might develop into an AA but Alvarez has high AA, finalist potential…crazy how fast Rutgers fan base turns on guys , the way Aragona was trashed last year and Alvarez this year, they left “your” team , get over it …and if you are gonna trash an athlete at least have the facts right …he didn’t quit after he missed weight he quit after he showed 5 pounds over on match day ( which wrestlers have been doing for a long time) and the coaches were pissed and told him he wasn’t wrestling 

3 hours ago, Le duke said:

I hope for Alvarez's sake that Smith leaves the poor kid alone and lets him wrestle off against Voinovich for the 149 spot.

Maybe fix is really dropping to 125, then young could go 133 where he belongs , and Alvarez going 141…from what I heard Alvarez issue at Rutgers this year wasn’t so much the weight cut , it was a disconnect or issues with the coaches that boiled over and led to what alot of Rutgers fans and people are saying is a lack of dedication to the sport 

3 hours ago, Le duke said:

I hope for Alvarez's sake that Smith leaves the poor kid alone and lets him wrestle off against Voinovich for the 149 spot.

The problem is Voinovich looks pretty good for a Fr with a lot of upside, 141 is the problem or one of the 3 or 4 main problems. 

35 minutes ago, Antitroll2828 said:

…he didn’t quit after he missed weight he quit after he showed 5 pounds over on match day ( which wrestlers have been doing for a long time) and the coaches were pissed and told him he wasn’t wrestling 

I’m not seeing much difference between these 2 things

1 minute ago, flyingcement said:

Would Alvarez just get manhandled at 157? He doesn't seem thaaaat big.  More like a 149 but thats saved for VV

Right now he would get manhandled but they can put him on the Derek white cowboy bulk job and by next year I think he could be legit , he’s pretty tall and apparently he’s never been a big weight room guy so if they can get him on a solid everyday plan he can make big gains 

• Fire 1

9 minutes ago, flyingcement said:

125: Fix

133: Young

141: Alvarez

149: Voinovich

157: Harper/Mastro/Williams

165: Wittlake (???)

174: Plott

184: Heeg

197: Surber

285: Carroll

Wittlake will make 165 again the same day you make 98 again.  

• Haha 2

49 minutes ago, Antitroll2828 said:

The difference is he didn’t miss weight , they didn’t give him a chance to make it , bc like I said before there has been some issues with the coaching staff

Had he successfully dropped 5 pounds on match day previously?

1 hour ago, Antitroll2828 said:

No they are not better off with oliveri lol oliveri is solid and might develop into an AA but Alvarez has high AA, finalist potential…crazy how fast Rutgers fan base turns on guys , the way Aragona was trashed last year and Alvarez this year, they left “your” team , get over it …and if you are gonna trash an athlete at least have the facts right …he didn’t quit after he missed weight he quit after he showed 5 pounds over on match day ( which wrestlers have been doing for a long time) and the coaches were pissed and told him he wasn’t wrestling 

Is it possible that because he had struggled with weight and missed weight previously that he was expected to be closer than 5lbs on match day?  I don't know the situation first hand, but if a guy had been struggling and missed weight before, a coaching staff would be well within it's right to say they wanted him within 3 lbs on match day to insure that he was going to make weight and that he wouldn't be cutting so much the day of. Because other wrestlers have done it does not necessarily mean that it was okay for Alvarez to do it in his situation with the amount he was cutting.  

Sponsored by INTERMAT ⭐⭐⭐⭐

51 minutes ago, Idaho said:

Is it possible that because he had struggled with weight and missed weight previously that he was expected to be closer than 5lbs on match day?  I don't know the situation first hand, but if a guy had been struggling and missed weight before, a coaching staff would be well within it's right to say they wanted him within 3 lbs on match day to insure that he was going to make weight and that he wouldn't be cutting so much the day of. Because other wrestlers have done it does not necessarily mean that it was okay for Alvarez to do it in his situation with the amount he was cutting.  

I think the relationship with the coaches have been strained with all the issues with him at 133 the past 2 seasons , but I feel last year was on the coaching staff for even attempting to have him make a weight after he tried and failed the year before , obviously blame falls on Alvarez but Seabass for back to back off seasons said he was going 133 then said screw it and went 141 causing Alvarez to make the cut ,and rumor was Goodale wasn’t going to let anyone challenge Mike van brill at 149 for his last year so Alvarez only option was 133 again or redshirt…I think him leaving was the best for both sides bc Alvarez didn’t seem committed to Rutgers and the coaches really botched some stuff with him the past 2 years and seem to lost his trust , hopefully both find some success apart 

2 hours ago, flyingcement said:

125: Fix

133: Young

141: Alvarez

149: Voinovich

157: Harper/Mastro/Williams

165: Wittlake (???)

174: Plott

184: Heeg

197: Surber

285: Carroll

165 Messenbrink 

174 Thompson/Wittlake 

184 Wittlake/Heeg

197 Surber/Heeg

If the pokes somehow land Messenbrink this is the lineup I'd  like to see for the upper weights. 

• Fire 1