Pitzer

BAC

I'm thinking this guy deserves his own thread.  True freshman, takes out Cohlton Schultz 4-0, pinned Trent Hilger in the semis, now has Davison in the finals.  Can he take out 3 top 10 HWTs?  I'm curious how the Hilger match went (it was a late pin).

Especially surprising since Pitzer wrestled 215 in high school last year, and Schultz/Hilger are BIG boys.

I assume Pitt was planning to redshirt him, but Gavin may need to rethink that.  

As an aside, check out Pitzer's impressive collection of first period pins last year:  PA-Wrestling.com : Mount Pleasant Vikings Wrestling : Dayton Pitzer.  45-0, with only 4 guys making it past the first period (and only 2 past the 2:40 mark).  

• Fire 3

11 minutes ago, 98lberEating2Lunches said:

Hilger was commited to riding with time expiring, as he led 2-1.  A defensive pin was called just before time expired.

It should be mentioned that it was 2-1 after the first with negligible riding time.  Pitzer rode Hillger out the 2nd. RT was back under one minute at the time of the fall, but an escape for Pitzer would have sent it to OT.

• Fire 1

"I know actually nothing.  It isn't even conjecture at this point." - me

16 minutes ago, BAC said:

Especially surprising since Pitzer wrestled 215 in high school last year, and Schultz/Hilger are BIG boys.

Hillger is an athletic heavy that has gained 30lbs (~250lbs now - not 290lbs like Schultzy) since arriving in Madison.  That makes his greatest strength - quick feet - not so great anymore.  He has improved skill-for-skill but is stuck between being an athletic heavy and a dancing bear at this point.

Schultzy is legit 290lbs.  He is big.  It also seems like he has lost quite a bit of speed.

If Pitzer goes and beats Davison, there is no way he stays on shirt.  Hell, even if he loses to Davison the ship might have already sailed.

That said, I expect Davison to comfortably win.  He has every strength of Pitzer covered - and then some.

If it is a beating, then the shirt might be required to stay on.

1 hour ago, BAC said:

I'm thinking this guy deserves his own thread.  True freshman, takes out Cohlton Schultz 4-0, pinned Trent Hilger in the semis, now has Davison in the finals.  Can he take out 3 top 10 HWTs?  I'm curious how the Hilger match went (it was a late pin).

Can we put to rest the “college needs a 220” argument yet?

Thanks for the feedback on the Hilger match.  Sounds like it could've gone either way.

Re the redshirt... beats me.  Their starter, Jake Slinger, is a .500 kind of guy.  Serviceable, but not apt to score points for them at NCAAs (or qualify), and went 2-and-BBQ at Midlands as the 11 seed.  That said, he's listed as a senior ... maybe he has an extra year of eligibility, but if he's planning to graduate, I could se Pitt having Slinger finish out his career and keep Pitzer on redshirt to bulk up a bit more.  Pitt has a nice team, but I'm not sure swapping in Pitzer would move the needle much at ACCs/NCAAs from a team placement standpoint.  I don't envy Gavin in fending off the NIL-vultures come March, though.

• Fire 1

8 minutes ago, VakAttack said:

If I'm Pitt, I'm letting him redshirt to put on size, but his future is BRIGHT.

Both Parris and Cassioppi are gone next year.

Steveson could technically come back though, right?

3 hours ago, VakAttack said:

I believe both are back next year for one final season, if they want it.

I wish I hadn't looked.  Parris is in his 5th year starting, with no redshirt.  Cassioppi did redshirt, so he has a year left.

2 hours ago, 1032004 said:

Whatever you want to call it, it’s not uncommon.  A 220 class in college is unnecessary 

Do you think it would result in too watered down a field for both 220 and 285?  I can see merit in arguments for 220 personally given that we have the high school weight and an Olympic weight which are close by.  

• Fire 1

On 12/31/2022 at 8:52 PM, flyingcement said:

Do you think it would result in too watered down a field for both 220 and 285?  

Well yeah I think by definition it will do that, 197 too if you have 3 weight classes where there used to be 2.

If you want the classes to be closer to international weights, I’d rather just change 184 to 189 or so, and 197 to 210, which would be basically in between 92 and 97 kg, and also give HS 215 lbers a better option.

On 1/2/2023 at 5:54 AM, 1032004 said:

Well yeah I think by definition it will do that, 197 too if you have 3 weight classes where there used to be 2.

If you want the classes to be closer to international weights, I’d rather just change 184 to 189 or so, and 197 to 210, which would be basically in between 92 and 97 kg, and also give HS 215 lbers a better option.

100% this. Just move everything to match the international weights.

• Fire 1

i am an idiot on the internet

3 hours ago, bnwtwg said:

100% this. Just move everything to match the international weights.

Well do you want to do what I said or do you want to match international weights lol?  I think those are 2 slightly different things.

So right now we have:

125/125.7

133/134.5

141/143.3

149/-

157/154.3

165/163.1

174/174.2

184/189.6

197/202.8

-/213.8

285/275.6

I kinda prefer my suggestion with more concentration around the middle weights

Dayton was a monster on top in HS.

never know if it's gonna translate to college but it's safe to say now it has. 

the thing about RS'ing him is that only 1 major guy (Parris) graduates. so it would be same field next year.

the 'letting add weight' thing has total merit. but imo, you're sacrificing a chance at a Top 10 team finish for a Dayton Pitzer in 2027.

• Fire 1

TBD

24 minutes ago, 1032004 said:

Well do you want to do what I said or do you want to match international weights lol?  I think those are 2 slightly different things.

So right now we have:

125/125.7

141/143.3

I kinda prefer my suggestion with more concentration around the middle weights

Sorry got hung up on the international weights and round the kilograms up to the next weight ex: 57kg/125.7 lbs is now the 126 weight class, 65kg/143.3 lbs is now the 144 weight class which is my preference. I've been a staunch advocate for that but I recognize I am in what appears to be the minority because it opens up more high weight classes.

And @Husker_Du is correct - if the athlete is ready then don't wait around for a hypothetical team situation 4 calendar years down the road. It's a team-oriented individual sport after all.

• Fire 1

i am an idiot on the internet