New Ads

Guys, we just changed ad service. 

we didn't 'turn up' frequency of ad placement or anything.

i can understand your hatred of too many ads, but i promise you it's not on purpose. i want everyone to enjoy coming to the site.

it's an entirely new service, so there's bound to be some tweaks. give @BobDole a moment to fine tune it.

and continue to let us know here, what you're seeing (apparently we're all seeing different things).

thank you.

TBD

#1 This is Willie's site, I am a public servant, just doing what the man wants

#2 Ads pay the bills

#3 If some functionality is being blocked as some are saying, please respond with what the issue is in as much detail as possible. Please include what browser(Firefox, Chrome, Safari, etc) and what device(laptop, desktop, iPhone aka losers, Android, etc). That will help in seeing the issues and passing them along.

I can already tell the popup in the lower right is causing some issues. On mobile devices you should be able to scroll down to get past the ad to input a reply, but I only see that on my fantastic Android phone. Sorry guys, in Heaven we only use Androids.

If you can't get screenshots added to the topic, email them to me at intermat.forum@gmail.com.

• Bob 1

My issue is with ads that cover content. Ads that are within content do not cause a problem for me.

Here is an example on my Surface running Chrome. It looks like I can click on "Go to topic listing" or "Next unread topic" at the bottom of the page, but because there is a transparent ad over the top, I cannot (see the feint line at the top edge of the previously clickable element).

image.thumb.png.176ecfdf602b6c88cd772e86398de909.png

The Nike ad between post for me is not a problem.

The Nike ad covering the bottom and the jtv ad covering content for me is a problem.

On my Samsung S24+ running Chrome the ads cover even more of the content. There the ads will take up almost half the page.

While I understand the need to sell ads to support a site that is free for the users, it has been my habit to not visit sites that have this type of ad experience.

Drowning in data, but thirsting for knowledge

23 minutes ago, Wrestleknownothing said:

My issue is with ads that cover content. Ads that are within content do not cause a problem for me.

Here is an example on my Surface running Chrome. It looks like I can click on "Go to topic listing" or "Next unread topic" at the bottom of the page, but because there is a transparent ad over the top, I cannot (see the feint line at the top edge of the previously clickable element).

image.thumb.png.176ecfdf602b6c88cd772e86398de909.png

The Nike ad between post for me is not a problem.

The Nike ad covering the bottom and the jtv ad covering content for me is a problem.

On my Samsung S24+ running Chrome the ads cover even more of the content. There the ads will take up almost half the page.

While I understand the need to sell ads to support a site that is free for the users, it has been my habit to not visit sites that have this type of ad experience.

Can you scroll down to get past that issue with the bottom ad or is that the end of the page? 

"Pays the bills"?

How much more expensive did access to my eyeballs become over night? 

I understand the concept of commercials paying for content.  Using a historical reference; We used to get 44 minutes of content and 16 minutes of ads for every hour of broadcast viewership.  Now the ratio is reversed.  Now I come to the forum to see ads for things I don't want or care about and every once in awhile I can get to see something of interest about wrestling and non-wrestling topics.

• Bob 1

read the first post.

i (we) aren't trying to place more ads (or make more money, for that matter).

we had to change the service we use for placing ads. whole new vendor. 

might take a bit to tweak. 

TBD

I believe it was mentioned in one of the other threads but another issue was the pages would often refresh themselves for some reason.  Also when clicking the x a new ad would immediately popup.  All on safari on iPhone.   But I have since started using an adblocker since it was very bad.

Edited by 1032004

The response time of typing and  clicking and submitting as gone way down with all the added advertisements.   I type stuff and it appears 5-10 seconds later.   I click on a chat link and it comes up 5-10 seconds later.   I try to submit a post and it takes 5-10 seconds to show up.    It's as if we are back in dial up days.   Perhaps that is what Bob remembers from before he passed away.  

mspart

2 hours ago, Jason Bryant said:

How many forum users are paid InterMat Platinum members? Perhaps one check-the-box solution would be subscribe to the site, so they get their $ and then you can install your ad-blocker. 

I might be interested in paying for platinum if it meant I wouldn't get the ads on the forums.  But I shouldn't have to install something else that might affect other UX just to contribute to the forum.  

UPDATE:

(on desktop)

there's one video ad bottom right. you can click it and it goes away (for as long as you're on that page).

there's also a bottom banner ad that's permanent. 

THAT's IT. and that's the way it's staying.

if anyone is experiencing something different i'm all ears. 

TBD

8 minutes ago, Husker_Du said:

UPDATE:

(on desktop)

there's one video ad bottom right. you can click it and it goes away (for as long as you're on that page).

there's also a bottom banner ad that's permanent. 

THAT's IT. and that's the way it's staying.

if anyone is experiencing something different i'm all ears. 

Many if not most are using phone &/or tablet.  Its better but ads don't go away, pop up again ~30s after hitting x.

It is definitely much better  🙂 but the ads pop back up, stay gone longer and now don't seem to get in the way of typing a post.  Thanks. 

Edited by ionel

On iPad the bottom banner still blocks quote insertion and alerts to additional posts/reactions and quotes.  To insert a quote, you can click the +quote button; then the <go to topic listing; click on the thread again and when it pops up, hurry and insert quote before the bottom banner ad pops up.  This will be a rarity from me. 

11 minutes ago, Husker_Du said:

thanks guys. We'll look into it. 

i don't use anything other than desktop, so feedback from other devices is helpful. 

desktop seems fine to me. 

I’m fairly certain you have web traffic reports telling you device and browser types accessing your site.  What % of users use mobile phones vs desktops.   I’ve been in IT and I check email via phone 1000% more than on my desktop…. I.e desktops are dead fwiw.