New Ads

Just have logged back in (computer, not mobile) and there are five (5) pop-ups ads on the screen, whose total screen real estate is larger than the forum text (content) box.  This is serious over-kill.  And, frankly, if I were an advertiser I wouldn't want my ad having to compete with four others for viewer attention.  

Conveniently, this is the off-season, so I can check our for awhile and not miss much.  But if this isn't remedied/mitigated a month from now, I'll be done with Intermat, the value won't outweigh the annoyance.  And, from another poster supra, if enough viewers bail then the advertisers won't support the site to the same degree, so the current approach is self-defeating.  

Please reconsider your advertising changes.  

• Bob 1

@BobDole

Another element about the current ad experience that is problematic for me is when I type a comment while using a mobile device (Android, Chrome) is the ads cover the comment box such that I need to scroll up to see what I have typed and then scroll further to hit the submit reply button.

On a related note, is the current ad experience the new normal for the website (both desktop and mobile)? Or are you still in the process of tweaking, such that we should expect some changes in the near future? And if it is the latter, how near is that future?

Drowning in data, but thirsting for knowledge

2 minutes ago, Wrestleknownothing said:

@BobDole

Another element about the current ad experience that is problematic for me is when I type a comment while using a mobile device (Android, Chrome) is the ads cover the comment box such that I need to scroll up to see what I have typed and then scroll further to hit the submit reply button.

On a related note, is the current ad experience the new normal for the website (both desktop and mobile)? Or are you still in the process of tweaking, such that we should expect some changes in the near future? And if it is the latter, how near is that future?

We are in communication to tweak the ads currently. With the holiday weekend and some other activities hopefully we get some updates in the next day or two.

1 hour ago, BobDole said:

We are in communication to tweak the ads currently. With the holiday weekend and some other activities hopefully we get some updates in the next day or two.

It needs a little more than a "tweak." 

• Bob 3

I am of two minds on the question of ads. 

First, this is a free site. Free is good. I like free. But the site has costs. And the people running it have a profit motive. Good for them. So do I. To cover their costs, and make a little scratch to boot, they have to sell my attention. OK, so not exactly a free site, but kinda, sorta close. What price do I put on my attention? I guess I can suss that out if I want to (what is the price difference between no-ad Hulu and ad Hulu?), but I haven't, and don't want to.

Second, it is a site with content. Content draws eyes. Eyes draw ads. Eyes on ads pay bills. And I am a content provider. We are all content providers. Or maybe not all of us. But whatever, stick with me for a second. As a content provider maybe I should get paid. If you squint, that is almost what Reddit did by letting some users/mods participate in the IPO. But that was a combo of comp and risk, so not purely comp. And it is what Rokfin advertises. But to get paid by Rokfin, I need to bring revenue to Rokfin. Maybe that is what I am doing here by looking at ads?

Anyway. This is a combination free site and site that generates revenue. Where is the balance? I don't know, but I feel like the free part is what I signed up for with the expectation that ads would be sold to pay for my fun. The new ad stuff is jarring, though. It does not exist along side the content. It interferes with the content. It competes with the content. It lays on top of the content. It blocks access to the content. It does not accept no for an answer. It jumps around to appeal to my animal brain that responds to motion. Sometimes it draws my attention and sometimes it forces itself upon me. My guess is that this behavior also means that the revenue potential is higher? You know, the profit motive thing. Fair enough. But I never would have thought about it that way if the ad experience was not so jarring.

Just sayin'.

All that said, I feel like we all owe @Husker_Du and @BobDole a fair amount of grace on the topic given the white hats on the white horses these guys are wearing after putting together this playground for wrestling degenerates (even those of the swimming persuasion) to spout off, and doing so against a very tight deadline.

• Bob 1

Drowning in data, but thirsting for knowledge

31 minutes ago, Wrestleknownothing said:

I am of two minds on the question of ads. 

First, this is a free site. Free is good. I like free. But the site has costs. And the people running it have a profit motive. Good for them. So do I. To cover their costs, and make a little scratch to boot, they have to sell my attention. OK, so not exactly a free site, but kinda, sorta close. What price do I put on my attention? I guess I can suss that out if I want to (what is the price difference between no-ad Hulu and ad Hulu?), but I haven't, and don't want to.

Second, it is a site with content. Content draws eyes. Eyes draw ads. Eyes on ads pay bills. And I am a content provider. We are all content providers. Or maybe not all of us. But whatever, stick with me for a second. As a content provider maybe I should get paid. If you squint, that is almost what Reddit did by letting some users/mods participate in the IPO. But that was a combo of comp and risk, so not purely comp. And it is what Rokfin advertises. But to get paid by Rokfin, I need to bring revenue to Rokfin. Maybe that is what I am doing here by looking at ads?

Anyway. This is a combination free site and site that generates revenue. Where is the balance? I don't know, but I feel like the free part is what I signed up for with the expectation that ads would be sold to pay for my fun. The new ad stuff is jarring, though. It does not exist along side the content. It interferes with the content. It competes with the content. It lays on top of the content. It blocks access to the content. It does not accept no for an answer. It jumps around to appeal to my animal brain that responds to motion. Sometimes it draws my attention and sometimes it forces itself upon me. My guess is that this behavior also means that the revenue potential is higher? You know, the profit motive thing. Fair enough. But I never would have thought about it that way if the ad experience was not so jarring.

Just sayin'.

All that said, I feel like we all owe @Husker_Du and @BobDole a fair amount of grace on the topic given the white hats on the white horses these guys are wearing after putting together this playground for wrestling degenerates (even those of the swimming persuasion) to spout off, and doing so against a very tight deadline.

Well said and maybe worth adding the following.  It might make sense to have pop up ads on the main/home page.  However on the forums, who is providing the content?  Its the posters. If the posters have to deal with ads maybe they should recieve some revenue.  I've been interrupted 4 times while typing this.  Don't we as poster have value & image likeness on these here forums?  If I see fly has responded I'm going to read his response.  If I see Wkn started a new data thread I'm gonna pull up a spreadsheet on my computer to check his math.  If I see Jimmy started a new thread I'm gonna ... well I digress.  So where's our NIL coin for creating this valuable content that is bringing folks to the forum.  Yeah personally I don't want or need any coin but I'm tired of being interrupted while creating and reading content.  

17 minutes ago, ionel said:

Well said and maybe worth adding the following.  It might make sense to have pop up ads on the main/home page.  However on the forums, who is providing the content?  Its the posters. If the posters have to deal with ads maybe they should recieve some revenue.  I've been interrupted 4 times while typing this.  Don't we as poster have value & image likeness on these here forums?  If I see fly has responded I'm going to read his response.  If I see Wkn started a new data thread I'm gonna pull up a spreadsheet on my computer to check his math.  If I see Jimmy started a new thread I'm gonna ... well I digress.  So where's our NIL coin for creating this valuable content that is bringing folks to the forum.  Yeah personally I don't want or need any coin but I'm tired of being interrupted while creating and reading content.  

PS:  maybe each poster could have their own unique pop up ads.  Idaho could be spuds, fly pop up concrete, Wkn ... no one knows, AOC coffee mugs, Rasta high-end grills, JC gamblers anonymous, IWB commics, IaW hip replacement...

• Haha 1

The issue is not just the placement of the ads. The pop up videos are extremely laggy. I don’t think there will be many posters who stick around without an ad blocker if the ads are pop ups/auto play videos. 

Edited by billyhoyle

15 hours ago, Caveira said:

Was it tested pre go live?  Are these results expected???

I'm glad you have taken time away from gathering pictures of drag queens and trans people to make a snide remark.

Yes we have a test site that we can see what is going on. Every person has a different experience viewing the website whether its from a desktop, mac, android, tablet, etc. I don't have the time, nor all of those devices to test functionality in every possible manner. 

Until these ads generate enough income that Willie can tell me to quit my full-time job, then some of the changes will take a little bit to get done.

• Bob 1
  • Haha 1

6 hours ago, BobDole said:

I'm glad you have taken time away from gathering pictures of drag queens and trans people to make a snide remark.

Yes we have a test site that we can see what is going on. Every person has a different experience viewing the website whether its from a desktop, mac, android, tablet, etc. I don't have the time, nor all of those devices to test functionality in every possible manner. 

Until these ads generate enough income that Willie can tell me to quit my full-time job, then some of the changes will take a little bit to get done.

No one knows if I stopped collecting pics.  Just stopped posting any.     Also I don’t think those terms you used are the preferred nomenclature.  But that’s a different argument.

Sounds like if testing was done…. It was known ahead of time the user experience would significantly decline. 

the experience is the same for everyone when it occurs.  Lots of ads on your screen, reloading a lot, blocking buttons, not respecting the x to close on the ad etc…….  

• Bob 1

48 minutes ago, Caveira said:

No one knows if I stopped collecting pics.  Just stopped posting any.     Also I don’t think those terms you used are the preferred nomenclature.  But that’s a different argument.

Sounds like if testing was done…. It was known ahead of time the user experience would significantly decline. 

the experience is the same for everyone when it occurs.  Lots of ads on your screen, reloading a lot, blocking buttons, not respecting the x to close on the ad etc…….  

I am only the one that is maintaining everything and doing the back end. It isn't my end call on what goes on here. If it was there would be other changes that people like you wouldn't like.

• Jagger 1

1 hour ago, flyingcement said:

Chrome on my android mobile device still has obstructive ads, but seemingly a little lighter than the previous days.  Still suboptimal

Mine has not changed, still bad computer, android tablet and phone.  Takes longer to complete a post with constant pop ups.  Sometimes I have to quote myself to complete a thought since Bob only gives us 15 minutes.  That scoundrel should at least give us 30 minutes now.  🤨

• Bob 1
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, BobDole said:

I am only the one that is maintaining everything and doing the back end. It isn't my end call on what goes on here. If it was there would be other changes that people like you wouldn't like.

Hey bro, appreciate what you do. Personally, getting rid of the pop up ads on mobile that appear bottom right corner would make the biggest difference for me. Also, I would be gleeful if you added a couple more reactions. Not kidding

1 hour ago, ionel said:

Mine has not changed, still bad computer, android tablet and phone.  Takes longer to complete a post with constant pop ups.  Sometimes I have to quote myself to complete a thought since Bob only gives us 15 minutes.  That scoundrel should at least give us 30 minutes now.  🤨

actually I may have just been enjoying a momentary break, but the ads are back in full force now on Chrome.  Back to Brave for me 

Its been a week have we seen a "tweak?"  If anything mine has gotten worse.  Occasionally have a blue border pops up all the way around the active intermat rectangle area.  The ad boxes are moving more and the x dissappears/reappears making it difficult to hit the x.  Of course it doesn't do any good to hit the x a new ad boxes pops up again. 

I ask you are we going to continue to take this?

72dee050-c02f-4f5a-94f2-6fe2b66e6ffe_tex

On 9/3/2024 at 3:47 PM, ionel said:

It needs a little more than a "tweak." 

I'm thinking some C-4 might do the trick.

27 minutes ago, ionel said:

Its been a week have we seen a "tweak?"  If anything mine has gotten worse.  Occasionally have a blue border pops up all the way around the active intermat rectangle area.  The ad boxes are moving more and the x dissappears/reappears making it difficult to hit the x.  Of course it doesn't do any good to hit the x a new ad boxes pops up again. 

They might want to make this into some sort of a game where you can accumulate points and then you can cash them in or get prizes.

• Haha 1

On 9/5/2024 at 7:24 PM, ionel said:

It’s been 9 days since first reported 

15 minutes ago, Caveira said:

It’s been 9 days since first reported 

Believe the report on Tuesday was it might take a couple days.  It ain't Thursday no more.  

Bob keeps saying he's buried doesn't have time for it.  Seems like a lame excuse to me.  

Edited by ionel

16 minutes ago, ionel said:

Believe the report on Tuesday was it might take a couple days.  It ain't Thursday no more.  

Bob keeps saying he's buried doesn't have time for it.  Seems like a lame excuse to me.  

I’m in technology sales.  I know how it is my friend.  Post deal Incentivization is hard.  

• Bob 1

Am I the only person not seeing a problem? I use CHrome on a Windows PC and Safari for iPad & IPhone. I get one pop-up ad with no sound, almost always off to the side. If it does happen to be covering up the content of the thread, one little click on the 'X' and the ad disappears.