How to think critically about what the media is telling you?

Imagine if freedom of speech and the press had been completely restricted during the Civil Rights Movement.

Even with "freedom," people faced violence, imprisonment, and economic consequence for exercising their right to speak.

• Bob 1

Imagine if the U.S. government raided your home to confiscate your guns before sending you, a local citizen, off to an internment camp, all while controlling the media narrative through the Office of War Information. A great president like FDR would never do such a thing... and it would never happen again... /s

TIM3149.jpg

• Bob 1

22 hours ago, jross said:

Imagine if the Ministry of Truth was controlled Republicans with the power to act on these survey results.

• 59% of Republican voters favor home confinement for individuals who support climate change policies, except for emergencies.
  • 55% of Republican voters support fines for individuals who speak on the impacts of climate change.
  • 48% of Republican voters think governments should fine or imprison individuals who publicly support climate change science.
  • 47% of Republican favor a government tracking program for those who support climate change policy.
  • 29% of Republican voters support temporarily removing custody from parents who support climate change.

Note: these statements do not reflect actual Republican views but are a fictional scenario for illustrative purposes.  Change the wording from Republicans to Democrats, and from climate change to Covid, and you have real facts. (survey)

All the 'reputable news' outlets would follow the official narrative, with no public debate allowed.

Where do you get your news from? Or are you one of those wingers that is so smart that he fully investigates everything. Of course, they do their investigations by exclusively turning to "non-bias" sources like Breitbart, The Blaze and Ben Shapiro, but never mind that. 

22 minutes ago, red viking said:

Where do you get your news from? Or are you one of those wingers that is so smart that he fully investigates everything. Of course, they do their investigations by exclusively turning to "non-bias" sources like Breitbart, The Blaze and Ben Shapiro, but never mind that. 

Red Viking's word of the day "wingers". My bet is tomorrow it will be "holistic"

• Bob 2

1 hour ago, red viking said:

I have been done with watching TV news, except for special events, for over 15 years.  I regularly read 1440 (see about us, it’s rated as unbiased), and sometimes check mainstream media for big events or when something catches my attention from here or X.com. I don’t think I’ve ever read Breitbart, The Blaze, or Ben Shapiro.

As an engineer, I focus on asking questions and valuing facts. I know there’s a lot I don’t know, so I try to learn more each day than I did the day before.

I used to read extensively about history, leadership, self-help, and sports... now, I just look for a mental outlet while sitting through repetitive meetings... 

so far I have heard on tv, read on twitter, and heard chants

-lock up those without a vax

-fire those without a vax

-send climate deniers to reeducation

-take away the guns

obviously it hasn't happened... however, the impulse is there... perhaps to be acted upon in the future

careful what you wish for

all of you lefties should really read the short story, The Test.

https://www.auburn.wednet.edu/cms/lib/WA01001938/Centricity/Domain/2205/The Test.pdf

I have been done with watching TV news, except for special events, for over 15 years.  I regularly read 1440 (see about us, it’s rated as unbiased), and sometimes check mainstream media for big events or when something catches my attention from here or X.com. I don’t think I’ve ever read Breitbart, The Blaze, or Ben Shapiro.
As an engineer, I focus on asking questions and valuing facts. I know there’s a lot I don’t know, so I try to learn more each day than I did the day before.
I used to read extensively about history, leadership, self-help, and sports... now, I just look for a mental outlet while sitting through repetitive meetings... 

Thanks for the link. 1440 looks good.

• 2 weeks later...

She did not answer it.   She blanked then spun a word salad that she is known for.

https://thehill.com/opinion/campaign/4938609-kamala-harriss-fox-news-interview-disaster-shows-how-the-media-set-her-up-to-fail/

Though there were many head-scratchers and uncomfortable fumbles in the Baier interview, the critical moment came when Harris rope-a-doped herself with the claim that former President Donald Trump is “unfit” and too “unstable” to be president. This led to obvious follow-up questions regarding the White House’s and her own earlier efforts to dismiss concerns surrounding Biden’s mental and physical fitness.

“You told many interviewers that Joe Biden was on his game,” Baier said, “that he ran around circles on his staff. When did you first notice that President Biden’s mental faculties appeared diminished?”

Harris blanked. Then, after she had had a moment to recollect herself, she simply dodged the question.

“Joe Biden — I have watched from the Oval Office to the Situation Room, and he has the judgment and the experience to do exactly what he has done in making very important decisions on behalf of the American people,” Harris said in her trademark word salad format.

Baier pressed, “There were no concerns raised?”

“Bret, Joe Biden is not on the ballot,” said Harris, “and Donald Trump is.”

Yes, but why isn’t Biden on the ballot? This is the question, is it not? As it turns out, Harris knows something about it, even though she went along and played the fool until Biden was forced from his own ticket..

“You met with [Biden] at least once a week for three-and-a-half years,” Baier pressed on Wednesday evening. “You didn’t have any concerns?”

“I think the American people have a concern about Donald Trump,” the vice president deflected, “which is why the people who know him best, including leaders of our national security community have all spoken out, even people who worked for him in the Oval Office, worked with him in the Situation Room and have said he is unfit and dangerous and should never be President of the United States again, including his former vice president, which is why the job was open for him to choose another running mate. So that is a fact. That is a fact.”

It was an unmitigated disaster. 

mspart

Edited by mspart
  • Bob 1
  • Pirate 1

She did answer at least one.   "What would you do differently than Joe?   I can't think of anything I would change".   That actually was an answer, just not the right answer if she is the agent of change.  

With Baier, she did say that she would be different than Biden and Trump, emphasizing that her turning the page was aimed at Trump, not Biden. 

mspart

• Bob 1