Women’s 50 kg silver medal appeal poll

Women’s 50 kg silver medal appeal poll  

38 members have voted

1. 1. Do you think Vinesh should get a silver? I’m curious because this was the first time I’ve seen this rule.

• Yes
    • No

1 minute ago, Animal197 said:

Curious as to how people on the board are thinking about this one. I understand the decision because it’s in the rules, but I don’t think I’ve ever seen this before.

If you can't make weight for the duration of the tournament maybe you are at the wrong weight and your first day was unfair competition.  

• Bob 2

1 minute ago, gimpeltf said:

I've said it before- NCAA/NFHS both say you lose your placement and points. USAW allows you to keep it.

Interesting.  Has anyone ever missed weight for the NCAA finals?  And if so, did it change a team outcome?

13 minutes ago, 1032004 said:

Interesting.  Has anyone ever missed weight for the NCAA finals?  And if so, did it change a team outcome?

Offhand, I don't remember any that late. A few missed second day but that's going into quarters.

Just now, gimpeltf said:

I can't figure it out. The article shows losing team points but ...

The rule is clear (now- I can't find it then)

It was a while ago, thanks for pointing out the change.

These things happen so rarely that it is hard to consider these things when they happen.

I found the rule as given in 2011. Clear-

3.17.6 Failure to Make Weight. Any contestant who fails to make weight for each day of a tournament shall forfeit all points previously earned, be ineligible for further competition and shall not place in the tournament, except as covered in Rule 3.21.

3.21 is about Med forfeits. It's written as a forfeit here and other matches showed med forfeit. Still don't follow.

You miss weight you don't medal. That's how it has always been all the way back to kids club. My beef is that Cuba got a get out of jail free card. I understand from a viewers/optics position of the necessity of a gold medal match, but I'm hoping when it's UWW running the show the other three years this doesn't happen (the IOC was 100% shadow-admin on this crazy unexpected scenario).

i am an idiot on the internet

I was firmly on the side of she did the work and so she should get a silver. I’ve been swayed to the stance of getting DQ’d and not getting a medal, but the finals opponent should get a FFT win. Why does the semi loser get to advance when she already lost? But also why her and not the quarter or earlier rounds? Who’s to say she was the best one of the losers? Just because she had the luck of not drawing the finalist until later in the tournament? 

• Bob 1

7 hours ago, Animal197 said:

Curious as to how people on the board are thinking about this one. I understand the decision because it’s in the rules, but I don’t think I’ve ever seen this before.

This used to be the rule at the NCAA championship.  If you didn't make weight on Saturday, you were DQ'd, all your team points were vacated and you did not earn AA status.  This changed the year Joe LeBlanc (Wyoming 184) missed weigh on Saturday morning, due to a misunderstanding of some sort.  Wyoming forfeited his team points, but coaches lobbied for him to maintain his AA status after forfeiting his final two bouts to place 6th.

https://gowyo.com/news/2016/6/29/577408c3e4b0bdd131ac7726_131479675871300026.aspx

I guess I'm confused about the term disqualified from competition as to the more recent definitions. I see about that situation being that something weird must have happened and they ruled appropriately. 

10 hours ago, ionel said:

If you can't make weight for the duration of the tournament maybe you are at the wrong weight and your first day was unfair competition.  

Yes, but then you see she wanted to Wrestle and compete at 53KG and was kinda screwed out of an opportunity to Wrestle there...so while I don't think they should change the rules FOR her, I wouldn't be opposed to changing them after this.

If not for that, I'd have less sympathy. Women's Wrestling's weight classes are much...healthier for them than Men's. Smaller increments. 

Side rant-I'm so ***ducking** disgusted to see BREAK dancing in the Olympics but they can only have 6 weight classes in MFS(or Greco, I just don't follow it as closely, it's not an insult). 

7 minutes ago, scourge165 said:

Side rant-I'm so ***ducking** disgusted to see BREAK dancing in the Olympics but they can only have 6 weight classes in MFS(or Greco, I just don't follow it as closely, it's not an insult). 

How do you feel about Artistic Swimming?  Think Wkn convinced the Olympic committee it'd be "glorious."  

11 minutes ago, scourge165 said:

Yes, but then you see she wanted to Wrestle and compete at 53KG and was kinda screwed out of an opportunity to Wrestle there...so while I don't think they should change the rules FOR her, I wouldn't be opposed to changing them after this.

Was she?  I saw people claiming that but in looking closer it seems she did compete for the 53kg spot and lost, and may have even gotten favorable treatment to then compete for 50kg after losing. 

Just now, ionel said:

How do you feel about Artistic Swimming?  Think Wkn convinced the Olympic committee it'd be "glorious."  

LOL...honestly, I can't even be bothered by it given the levels of absurdity before you get to that! 

Men's and Women's B-Bop! I mean, what in the hell is that? And it's SO bad! It's not even good break dancing(At least what I saw. 

GTFO... I'm all for ending "cultural appropriation," if it means that shit stops!

Same with BMX...racing and other BMX-related events...

I am a little disappointed in Wkn. It's always the last you'd suspect.

40 minutes ago, 1032004 said:

Was she?  I saw people claiming that but in looking closer it seems she did compete for the 53kg spot and lost, and may have even gotten favorable treatment to then compete for 50kg after losing. 

I thought she wasn't given a match, but I'm just repeating what I read. I have no clue. 

7 minutes ago, scourge165 said:

LOL...honestly, I can't even be bothered by it given the levels of absurdity before you get to that! 

Men's and Women's B-Bop! I mean, what in the hell is that? And it's SO bad! It's not even good break dancing(At least what I saw. 

GTFO... I'm all for ending "cultural appropriation," if it means that shit stops!

Same with BMX...racing and other BMX-related events...

I am a little disappointed in Wkn. It's always the last you'd suspect.

Why not Bingo?  Let's give the 80 year olds a chance to get out of assisted living for a couple weeks.  Its age discrimination thats what it is! 

15 minutes ago, ionel said:

Why not Bingo?  Let's give the 80 year olds a chance to get out of assisted living for a couple weeks.  Its age discrimination thats what it is! 

The endorsement deals Grandma would have gotten...Gabriel Iglesias Finger Guns GIF by NETFLIX

24 minutes ago, scourge165 said:

I thought she wasn't given a match, but I'm just repeating what I read. I have no clue. 

I saw people saying that she was screwed out of an opportunity to wrestle off for 53, but also that she lost at 53.

Maybe both things are true.  She did “lose” at 53, but apparently it was stated that she just had to place top 4 in order to then have those 4 compete for the 53 spot, so she may have lost intentionally:

https://sportstar.thehindu.com/olympics/paris-2024/news/vinesh-phogat-antim-panghal-53kg-paris-2024-olympics-selection-trial-explain-wfi-timeline-ioa-ad-hoc-committee/article68500511.ece

• Bob 1