Olympic Wrestling ... Day 4

Just now, Jimmy Cinnabon said:

Does Myles wrestle Brooks for Bronze?  I think I actually favor Amine after Brooks injury.

Really... did you fell out of a cocoanut tree or sumthin'?😏

D3

Never argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience.

Did you all skipped the Higuchi match? He looked amazing too. I think Spencer can do it too, but I’m not expecting it to be easy. I think it’s going to come down to how many turns he can get. I predict Higuchi gets more takedowns

• Brain 2

6 minutes ago, bnwtwg said:

What, that David Taylor can't beat the person who took him out over the course of multiple matches?

You see it in NCAA where a guy who is worse beats somebody in a wrestle off and then underperforms against other competition. It seems like that’s what happened here. Brooks didn’t look great in any of his matches. 

• Confused 1

AB won the spot and deserved to be the guy I think we need to stop saying DT would have won because we do not know that. I wanted DT to be the rep but if anything this should show he was not on the same level he was a year prior I still think Brooks was our best rep before knowing draws and everything.

• Bob 2
  • Wrestle 1

Just now, billyhoyle said:

You see it in NCAA where a guy who is worse beats somebody in a wrestle off and then underperforms against other competition. It seems like that’s what happened here. Brooks didn’t look great in any of his matches. 

I saw David Taylor lose to Cox 4 times in two tries a year apart. I saw Brooks beat Taylor handily two matches in a row. It happens, even to the reigning world champions and it's why they wrestle the matches.

i am an idiot on the internet

2 minutes ago, billyhoyle said:

This happened when McCoy beat Neal in 2000.  Neal was reigning WC and FILA Wrestler of the year.

Edited by jchapman
  • Bob 2

Craig Henning got screwed in the 2007 NCAA Finals.

1 minute ago, Mr. PeanutButter said:

I didn't think Brooks looked that bad, really. Got beat on one exchange and that vicious bow seemed to have taken a bit out of him

You need to keep in mind that Taylor wins this match easily though. Brooks looks more on the level of Jake Herbert/Andy Hrovat battling for medals than Taylor. 

3 minutes ago, Eagle26 said:

Did you all skipped the Higuchi match? He looked amazing too. I think Spencer can do it too, but I’m not expecting it to be easy. I think it’s going to come down to how many turns he can get. I predict Higuchi gets more takedowns

If Spencer gets a takedown it's gonna be over.

3 minutes ago, Truzzcat said:

AB won the spot and deserved to be the guy I think we need to stop saying DT would have won because we do not know that. I wanted DT to be the rep but if anything this should show he was not on the same level he was a year prior I still think Brooks was our best rep before knowing draws and everything.

He would have, though.  Easily.

Styles make matches and that 3-0 lead Brooks had would have been a Pinfall or a Techfall.

"I know actually nothing.  It isn't even conjecture at this point." - me

3 minutes ago, Truzzcat said:

This is a good point.  The Taylor that Brooks beat was not the Oly/World Champ Taylor.  The Oly champ Taylor beats the Bulgarian.  But the Taylor that wrestled at OTT?  Not so sure.

Craig Henning got screwed in the 2007 NCAA Finals.

Just now, nhs67 said:

He would have, though.  Easily.

Styles make matches and that 3-0 lead Brooks had would have been a Pinfall or a Techfall.

And if my aunt had balls she'd be my uncle.

Taylor lost. Brooks lost.

• Bob 1

i am an idiot on the internet

I think brooks is getting judged too harshly .....he didn't look bad...it's just his style ...one in which is not likely to win close matches like NCAA against foreigners. Even dake loses close matches to foreigners. 

It's all stylistic. Taylor 100 percent would of dominated this Belarus guy. ...and brooks would fare better vs yazdani then the Belarus will. Just like brooks did vs Taylor

Brooks would of given yazdani a go.