Olympic wrestling... Day 1

Lopez did not wrestle from 2016 to 2020 and surprised with his entry at Tokyo.   He has not done anything since then and is in the finals in Paris.   This guy has basically wrestled 1 tourney since 2016 and is likely to be 2024 gold medallist in just his second tourney since 2016. 

mspart

• Bob 2
  • Fire 1

Posted (edited)
21 minutes ago, MidniteToka said:

I'm wrestling the ref from the Elor/Poland match next.

8zddl0.jpg

😜

D3

Edited by D3 for LU
  • Pirate 1

Never argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience.

8 hours ago, Voice of the Quakers said:

Wild match in the other quarter opposite Elor. PRK makes massive comeback when Indian opponent hurts her shoulder. Thought the Indian could've handled the situation (stalled) better. Elor will crush the North Korean in her semi.

Here’s the best clip I could find.  Looks like it could’ve been intentional

8 minutes ago, 1032004 said:

I suspected the PRK intentions in the reply after the match. Maybe she just wanted to get away from Nisha's underhook...🙄

The PRK strategy to try and go over-under ties kept Elor at bay for about 30 seconds. I enjoyed watching Amit change that strategy, though, "How 'bout I take your underhook hand out of my armpit and put it on your hip?...Great, now you can either walk out of bounds or get under me...Oh, by the way, this leg lace is gonna hurt. Let's go for a roll".

• Bob 1

10 minutes ago, 1032004 said:

I watched the Mat B (women's 68Kg) when I got home... I really feel for Nisha, after having that 8-1 lead. Pak really torqued the Indian's shoulder to where it shouldn't (couldn't) go. Bad luck, and the damage done.

D3

Never argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience.

2 hours ago, mspart said:

Lopez did not wrestle from 2016 to 2020 and surprised with his entry at Tokyo.   He has not done anything since then and is in the finals in Paris.   This guy has basically wrestled 1 tourney since 2016 and is likely to be 2024 gold medallist in just his second tourney since 2016. 

mspart

What incentivizes Lopez to get into Olympic shape for the sixth time when he’s nearly 42? Dude is the Greco LeBron

Edited by peanut

4 hours ago, Voice of the Quakers said:

Sweet lat drop from JPN for the win. Leg position and back arch (and 360 view) were just outstanding.

Also, looks like a great crows for this session. Vibes were poor leading into these games, but it looks like the French are showing out for these events.

That was an outstanding match. And the action was non-stop until the end... kudos for the camaraderie and sportsmanship at the end from both those wrestlers!

D3

• Clown 1

Posted (edited)

I just finished watching Amit's SF bout vs Pak/PRK on the replay... VERY impressive!

D3

Edited by D3 for LU
  • Fire 1
  • Clown 1

3 hours ago, mspart said:

mspart

And yet our American youth wrestlers have to get 300 matches a year to be competitive lol

• Bob 1

8 hours ago, BigRedFan said:

It's not a refusal to engage:  it is an impossible task against Elor, who when her career is finished will be acknowledged as the greatest US wrestler in history.

No matter what she wins I very much doubt that

Tough draw for Bey. Gets the favorite in his opening. Akzhol is about as dominant as you can get south of 80 kg. Levai and Sanan are tough. 

Rau and his atrocious pare terre defense have solid medal contender Saravi up first. Well Rau's had about a month at 33 years old to learn how not to get teched in 10 seconds since Saravi teched him this June, so looking good for repechage. 

The European Eastern bloc looking terrible in Greco, more dramatically so than the US. They used to be the epicenter of the style and now all they have left to salvage is 87 (and maybe 77 as a stretch). No Russia hurts, but there used to be others.

Nordic countries barely have reps anymore. 

1 hour ago, HarryConnickJr said:

No matter what she wins I very much doubt that

She's 20 years old.  She's already won eight (8) world titles at various age group tournaments.  From her Wikipedia entry:

Going into the 2024 Olympics, she had not lost an international match, in any age group, since 2019, as she compiled a 37-0 record and outscored her opponents by a margin of 322-16

Cadet, three junior, two U23, and two world titles.

18 hours ago, MPhillips said:

Maybe I copied wrong...:classic_huh:

Track was wrong, you were right.

Screenshot_20240806_061306_Chrome.jpg

"I know actually nothing.  It isn't even conjecture at this point." - me

18 hours ago, Voice of the Quakers said:

Sweet lat drop from JPN for the win. Leg position and back arch (and 360 view) were just outstanding.

Also, looks like a great crows for this session. Vibes were poor leading into these games, but it looks like the French are showing out for these events.

V of the Q... speaking of that lat-drop, here's a photo from the UWW site photo of said move:

60kg%20GR%20-%20Liguo%20Cao%20(CHN)%20df

A moment frozen in time... 

D3

• Bob 2

14 hours ago, scribers said:

Anyone ever won 5 golds in 5 different years?

Looking at the Wikipedia list of multiple-time gold medalists, a handful of athletes managed to win Olympic medals over a span of 20+ years in sports like equestrian, fencing, archery, and canoeing. No wrestlers, obviously. 

1 hour ago, MPhillips said:

Great throw. We called that a, 'salto'. Not really close to a, 'lat drop.' But perhaps the terms have changed...

Looks like he dropped the underhook to create a belly to belly. I believe he did finish to the closed-arm/overhook side.

Dan McDonald, Penn '93
danmc167@yahoo.com

3 hours ago, denger said:

Looking at the Wikipedia list of multiple-time gold medalists, a handful of athletes managed to win Olympic medals over a span of 20+ years in sports like equestrian, fencing, archery, and canoeing. No wrestlers, obviously. 

17 hours ago, scribers said:

Anyone ever won 5 golds in 5 different years?

NBC announcer just said Lopez would be the first man to win gold in 5 consecutive Olympics in the same event. 

He also said that India is the second most populated county in the world, so I'm not sure what he knows. 

• Bob 1

16 hours ago, BigRedFan said:

She's 20 years old.  She's already won eight (8) world titles at various age group tournaments.  From her Wikipedia entry:

Cadet, three junior, two U23, and two world titles.

She very well may end up the greatest female wrestler in US history, maybe in the world. Her career to this point has been amazing and rivaled by few.

But she's won't be acknowledged as the greatest US wrestler in history. She likely becomes the most decorated US wrestler if this trajectory holds, but not the greatest. One is objective, the other is subjective.

It becomes the Serena Williams debate. Serena is the greatest women's tennis player of all time. She's not the greatest tennis player of all time.

58 minutes ago, TylerDurden said:

She very well may end up the greatest female wrestler in US history, maybe in the world. Her career to this point has been amazing and rivaled by few.

But she's won't be acknowledged as the greatest US wrestler in history. She likely becomes the most decorated US wrestler if this trajectory holds, but not the greatest. One is objective, the other is subjective.

It becomes the Serena Williams debate. Serena is the greatest women's tennis player of all time. She's not the greatest tennis player of all time.

Show us on the doll where the fragile masculinity hurt you

• Clown 1

i am an idiot on the internet