Ohio State

Oklahoma State

Penn State

Pitt

Pitt-Johnstown

Princeton

Rutgers

Virginia Tech

He's excited about an Ivy League education but eliminated Stanford?  What's his intended major? 

9 minutes ago, ionel said:

He's excited about an Ivy League education but eliminated Stanford?  What's his intended major? 

There are only 4 schools who have any possibility of getting him on their team. Penn State. Best program in the country. Ohio State. 2 hours from his home. Great relationship with the staff and wrestlers. Also, they have an OTC. Iowa. Proven quality program. Lots of money for NIL via some call him the Slum Lord. Oklahoma State. Proven quality program. David Taylor. Lots of money for NIL. My bet he goes to Penn State. Best program in the country. My wish is Ohio State. Only 2 hours from his home. Mom can easily get to all of his matches. Maybe we can also get his brother from Purdue.

• Bob 2

10 minutes ago, Paul158 said:

There are only 4 schools who have any possibility of getting him on their team. Penn State. Best program in the country. Ohio State. 2 hours from his home. Great relationship with the staff and wrestlers. Also, they have an OTC. Iowa. Proven quality program. Lots of money for NIL via some call him the Slum Lord. Oklahoma State. Proven quality program. David Taylor. Lots of money for NIL. My bet he goes to Penn State. Best program in the country. My wish is Ohio State. Only 2 hours from his home. Mom can easily get to all of his matches. Maybe we can also get his brother from Purdue.

I think we are talking about two different kids.

9 minutes ago, Interviewed_at_Weehawken said:

10 minutes ago, Interviewed_at_Weehawken said:

You are right. Blaze.  I would also use the same 4 schools for Bassett, just take out mom 2 hours away and close proximity.

2 hours ago, Hilton Head Joe said:

I have junior HS son. The college coaches have asked for his state results, NHSCA and super 32 and very occasionally Fargo. The big 4 use be Fargo, states, NHSCA and super 32. Ironman, beast of east and others were icing on cake. Went to Fargo cause we felt like we had to. I will tell you the time and expense of Fargo is so off the charts and the location is less than desirably. And we didn't even have to go. I would say Super 32 has to be the biggest title to win in the eyes of college coaches even over a world title.  

Yep - agree 100%!!  Super 32 has risen to the top IMO as well. I know out West you will see a fair amount of coaches at Doc B and the CA state tournament - which obviously is more of a regional thing. 

• Bob 2

Sponsored by INTERMAT ⭐⭐⭐⭐

31 minutes ago, Idaho said:

Yep - agree 100%!!  Super 32 has risen to the top IMO as well. I know out West you will see a fair amount of coaches at Doc B and the CA state tournament - which obviously is more of a regional thing. 

In the heydey of Blair (Mocco, Perry, Espo, Coop, etc), I was coaching at National Preps.  There were a ton of big name coaches for the Prep tourney and PA District 11 was the same weekend down the road. One of my proudest moments was my heavyweight lifting another big guy in a double and none other John W. Smith stopping in his tracks to watch the action.  My guy scored his 2 and probably a pin.  John W. paused for a second, surveyed the situation, and then  just kept walking.

But still a proud moment for me...

• Fire 1
  • Potato 1

27 minutes ago, Interviewed_at_Weehawken said:

In the heydey of Blair (Mocco, Perry, Espo, Coop, etc), I was coaching at National Preps.  There were a ton of big name coaches for the Prep tourney and PA District 11 was the same weekend down the road. One of my proudest moments was my heavyweight lifting another big guy in a double and none other John W. Smith stopping in his tracks to watch the action.  My guy scored his 2 and probably a pin.  John W. paused for a second, surveyed the situation, and then  just kept walking.

But still a proud moment for me...

So your guy didn't throw his shot away, well done.  🙂

• Bob 1

4 minutes ago, Greenwave said:

Do we know if he academically would gain admission at Stanford?  

If he is excited about an Ivy education you'd think he must have the smarts and credentials correct?  Unless he is engineering, its really hard to get into Stanford in engineering.  

2 hours ago, ionel said:

If he is excited about an Ivy education you'd think he must have the smarts and credentials correct?  Unless he is engineering, its really hard to get into Stanford in engineering.  

You would hope he could qualify.  But with only 2 Ivy education schools left on his list of 18 you would have to wonder.

On 9/18/2024 at 7:43 AM, TNwrestling said:

Stanford eliminated

Remaining Schools:

Air Force

Arizona State

Cornell

Iowa

Iowa State

Lehigh

Michigan

Missouri

Nebraska

Northern Iowa

Ohio State

Oklahoma State

Penn State

Pitt

Pitt-Johnstown

Princeton

Rutgers

Virginia Tech

So you’re saying there’s a chance. Fame fortune power and legacy. Bring that team championship trophy out west. 

Edited by SunDevil

Bassett has stated he wants to be the face of the program and to change it. That statement has Oklahoma State vibes written all over it and I am all for it. Let's see the Bishop McCort to Stillwater pipeline. Anywhere but Penn State - they have more than enough going for them at the moment. 

7 hours ago, Greenwave said:

Wow, this is all parental driven.  You don’t come in and be the face of the program.  You earn it in a college room with 34 plus wrestler's.  Those guys are winning in the classroom, practices and with student body.    You don’t do it through social media. 

You're thinking like somebody from the year 2010.  Today, what matters for being the face of a program is how many followers you have on social media. The classes can be online now for D1 athletes anyway.

Edited by billyhoyle

1 hour ago, feet2back said:

and only 1 if you take out Cornell "Agriculture" School

What do the quotation marks mean?  Is the College of Agriculture and Life Sciences not part of Cornell?

And why do you assume that Bassett would be in the Ag School?  Current roster includes

Engineering:  Milani, Tate, Hatcher, Chamberlain

Arts&Sciences:  Perry, Cardinale, Qureshi, Shvartsman, Canoyer, McLean-Felix, Davis

Dyson Business:  Sciarrone,

SC Johnson Business:  Ferrara, Cornella

Architecture, Art & Planning:  Fernandez, Foca

Computing & Information Science:  Wade

Industrial & Labor Relations: McClenahan, Carlson

• Clown 1
  • Racing Family 1

18 minutes ago, billyhoyle said:

You're thinking like somebody from the year 2010.  Today, what matters for being the face of a program is how many followers you have on social media. The classes can be online now for D1 athletes anyway.

Agree, all he and his parents are trying to do is move him in front of Blaze as number one recruit but he is still four slots below him.

Followers on social media does not make you a leader of program by no means, with the athletes in the room it is not done on social media.