Bo Bassett Narrows His College List..........From 80 to 73

20 hours ago, RandolphTJones said:

Welp my bet of SIU Edwardsville comes to an early exit. Next slew of schools eliminated off Bassett's list:

Sacred Heart

Duke

SIU Edwardsville

Bloomsburg

Gardner-Webb

Northern Illinois 

Binghamton

Seems like a sh*tty way to bring attention to the schools that are being eliminated early. "These schools suck so much that they are eliminated quickly"

Yeah, I wasn't going to ever date the prom queen, but being one of the first to be crossed off her list is a kick in the nuts that I don't need

• Bob 3

6 minutes ago, Jim L said:

Seems like a sh*tty way to bring attention to the schools that are being eliminated early. "These schools suck so much that they are eliminated quickly"

Yeah, I wasn't going to ever date the prom queen, but being one of the first to be crossed off her list is a kick in the nuts that I don't need

its pretty annoying sense we already know where he is gonna go.

"Half measures are a coward's form of insanity."

1 hour ago, Jim L said:

Maybe they forgot to make the phone call? 

1 hour ago, Hammerlock3 said:

the crowd who is so enthusiastic for bassetts social media ambition is like the crowd that thinks releasing a sex tape is a good business decision. being an influencer isnt good for your brain.

What about the crowd that’s upset by it?

PSU should do this too - each week come out with a list of all the HS kids they're not going to recruit. Week 1 can be everyone who is 2nd or 3rd string on their HS team or went winless last season.

• Bob 2
  • Haha 1

51 minutes ago, BloodRound said:

Imagine Bo just didn't pan out at all in college.

There are so many things that can derail a college wrestling career - injuries, burnout, training environment, maturity, diet, grades, social pressures, etc.

Edited by Fletcher

2 hours ago, TNwrestling said:

I swear he could've just come out and said hes choosing Penn St and you guys would still complain. 

Some would but for entirely different reasons.  PSU is at the top so a lot of people hate them for that or at least wouldn't want to see another top recruit go there. 

2 hours ago, TNwrestling said:

He's a kid being a kid having fun and he isnt getting in trouble. Who the hell cares?  

I don't think that's the point.  If no one cared there would be no point in him doing this.  It will get more attention then just announcing PSU, but it inevitable won't be all good attention.

An athlete going from high school to college is about the only demographic that could pull this off with the modest level of criticism he's receiving.  If the top NBA free agent this offseason tried something similar they would be roasted by all the talking head shows.  It would be 100 fold worse.  That whole LeBron the decision came from those press announcement for college commitments.  It was far more douchey when LeBron did it.

Well when you have a Head Coach coming out on twitter about him not calling or texting them they were eliminated is a huge reflection on his and his parent character.

if he never was contacted by them or he never consider them they never should have been on his list.

Kid or not he should have kept it real and honest.

The whole thing has a LeBron-taking-his-talents-to-Miami feel to it.  Just rubbing salt in the wound of every school he's saying no to, and doing a de facto ranking of D1 schools from worst-to-best while he's at it.  I know it isn't his intent and I like Bo, but someone needs to talk to this kid and help him understand how disrespectful this comes off.

That said, the Gardner-Webb coach is one of my new favorite humans.  Aces.

• Bob 1

5 hours ago, Greenwave said:

Well when you have a Head Coach coming out on twitter about him not calling or texting them they were eliminated is a huge reflection on his and his parent character.

if he never was contacted by them or he never consider them they never should have been on his list.

Kid or not he should have kept it real and honest.

Lol that was obviously a joke post by the coach.  When Bassett first made the list was before he could be contacted.   I’m sure there wasn’t any communication from either side with many of the smaller schools.

6 hours ago, BAC said:

The whole thing has a LeBron-taking-his-talents-to-Miami feel to it.  Just rubbing salt in the wound of every school he's saying no to, and doing a de facto ranking of D1 schools from worst-to-best while he's at it.  I know it isn't his intent and I like Bo, but someone needs to talk to this kid and help him understand how disrespectful this comes off.

I don’t think he’s being disrespectful.  I feel like he’s going out of his way to be respectful, by not actually naming the schools he’s taking off the list and just saying “these are my top schools”

Elliott has had some other good ones in the past too.

and yes this really happened:

Edited by 1032004
  • Wrestle 2

On 6/28/2024 at 1:00 AM, BAC said:

Should we let wrestlestat know to quit ranking all of the teams and just stick to the top 10? No more conference rankings, only top 2 or 3?  If having a defacto worst to first ranking is so terrible, there so many rankings that include the bottom teams. In football, even the liberal rag ESPN has a "bottom 10" teams with updates of how bad they got crushed the previous week. We really need to get to the point where wrestling is mentally strong enough being called worst is inspiration and not a source of hurt feelings.

Agree this is a sixteen year old disrespecting D1 Teams.  Who , I am sure are spend money with his sponsors, from a marketing perspective what would happen if every school he insults cuts ties with a Prime and Rudi’s in all sports.

Remember Aaron Pico and his family’s hype before college.

2 hours ago, Camel Wrestling Fan said:

Should we let wrestlestat know to quit ranking all of the teams and just stick to the top 10? No more conference rankings, only top 2 or 3?  If having a defacto worst to first ranking is so terrible, there so many rankings that include the bottom teams. In football, even the liberal rag ESPN has a "bottom 10" teams with updates of how bad they got crushed the previous week. We really need to get to the point where wrestling is mentally strong enough being called worst is inspiration and not a source of hurt feelings.

LOL.  Yeah, that's exactly what I'm saying, I think we should pass a law forbidding anyone from saying anything negative about a wrestling team that loses, and I think Bo should have to give participation ribbons to all the schools he says no to.

I think maybe your MAGA hat is on a little too tight, as you don't seem to realize there's a difference between being honest and open about who the best and worst teams are, as opposed to singling out and highlighting who the worst are for no beneficial or constructive reason.  Its just poor taste.

Hey I have an idea.  How about colleges, when doing their recruiting, don't go after the kids they don't like.  Instead, each week, they should publish a list of the wrestlers they definitely do NOT want on their team, until there's just a handful left.  Great idea, right?  Then at least that fat JV heavyweight son of yours will know right away that Penn State doesn't want him!

On 6/27/2024 at 12:01 PM, Jim L said:

I was thinking: If you're a top school but unlikely to land this kid, why not come out and say that you've crossed him off your list? Then, publically say that you're more interested in Mr X? Seems tacky, but I don't understand how this stuff works, e.g. emoji-fied Miami Vice bears and such. 

Edit: like make it convincing, e.g. explain why he's not a good fit and why what you're really looking for is a, b, c ... All of which Mr X has in spades.

Edit 2: Sorry. I just read upthread and at least 2 others posted something similar.

Edited by jackwebster
  • Bob 1

On 6/27/2024 at 3:14 PM, Fletcher said:

PSU should do this too - each week come out with a list of all the HS kids they're not going to recruit. Week 1 can be everyone who is 2nd or 3rd string on their HS team or went winless last season.

Ugghh ... Should have read this before I posted. Sorry, man.

2 hours ago, Greenwave said:

Agree this is a sixteen year old disrespecting D1 Teams.  Who , I am sure are spend money with his sponsors, from a marketing perspective what would happen if every school he insults cuts ties with a Prime and Rudi’s in all sports.

Remember Aaron Pico and his family’s hype before college.

It would be an epic, massive, galactic over reaction and no one would care.

Drowning in data, but thirsting for knowledge

1 hour ago, Greenwave said:

You don’t think Rudi’s and Prime would hate to lose sales on campuses because of this kids parents and marketing team.

My point is they will not lose sales because of this kid. As a matter of fact, they believe they will increase sales because of this kid and I find it very, very, very unlikely this will change that.

Drowning in data, but thirsting for knowledge