Big Government

2 hours ago, Husker_Du said:

how does poverty rate increase so quickly? especially when the price of goods stabilize?

were there massive job losses/business closures? 

i'm not saying you're wrong. in fact, i saw that figure too not long ago. 

i just don't understand. 

My assumption is that it is due to the inflation rate prior to the recent relative stabilization. The stabilization in question is just for food and just for the most recent month. Prior to that overall inflation was running close to 300%. That will make a lot of people real poor, real fast. But putting that all on Milei is simplistic. He inherited a shit sandwich and is trying to solve the problem fast. That is a formula for pain, but sometimes medicine sucks before it makes you better.

• Bob 1

Drowning in data, but thirsting for knowledge

Posted (edited)
4 hours ago, Husker_Du said:

how does poverty rate increase so quickly? especially when the price of goods stabilize?

were there massive job losses/business closures? 

i'm not saying you're wrong. in fact, i saw that figure too not long ago. 

i just don't understand. 

He slashed the value of the peso against in the dollar by 50% in his first days in office, which was part of his plan. Millions of people became poorer overnight, which caused many to fall below the poverty line.

We'll see how it works out. The effectiveness of "shock therapy" is highly controversial. It also has historically been paired with right-wing authoritarianism to control the social unrest caused by such painful policies for the poor and middle classes.

The "Chilean Miracle" under Pinochet is the classic example. Came to power with a military coup in the early 70s (with the aid of the CIA), murdered thousands including the extremely popular elected president, and let the "Chicago Boys," economists from UChicago, take control of the economy. Proponents of shock therapy point to this as an example of its success, but many point out that it was largely unsuccessful until copper and lithium, which Chile had vast reserves of, became far more valuable in the 90's. The other unquestioned effect of this strategy is vastly increased income inequality, which causes its own problems and is unsustainable.

If you're looking for a fun read, check out The Shock Doctrine by Naomi Klein.

Edited by uncle bernard
  • Brain 1
  • Fire 1

1 hour ago, uncle bernard said:

He slashed the value of the peso against in the dollar by 50% in his first days in office, which was part of his plan.

i just read that.

i'm not well versed in economic strategies - so what's the thought process behind it? is that part of curtailing inflation?

i also read that he has floated making the US Dollar the national currency. 

TBD

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, Husker_Du said:

i just read that.

i'm not well versed in economic strategies - so what's the thought process behind it? is that part of curtailing inflation?

i also read that he has floated making the US Dollar the national currency. 

the main goal is to make their exports cheaper to increase international trade while making imports more expensive so money stays in the country. paired with intense government spending cuts to reduce the deficit. 

a major criticism of this strategy is that it concentrates wealth at the top. the rich who own the exports make money from increased trade. the regular people who buy imports lose money. in theory, the wealth is supposed to eventually trickle down, but that’s never totally worked the way it “should.”

another hallmark of shock therapy is the selling of government assets to the rich for pennies on the dollar. the offload puts money in the bank and reduces the overall spending profile long term, but it also continues to concentrate wealth at the top as the rich gain extremely valuable assets for little to nothing. this is the origin of the russian oligarchs. 

it’s a hard strategy to stomach morally. nearly all of the burden is born by the poor and middle classes. it has extreme material effects on people. one of the largest collapses in life expectancy in recorded history was in the soviet union when they transitioned to capitalism through shock therapy. 

Edited by uncle bernard
  • Bob 1

Forget about the perps, we don't care about them obviously.  But you better get that storefront fixed ASAP or we will fine you.   I heard this on the radio.   This guy has no insurance because insurance companies no longer insure folks that are in downtown areas because shoplifting and car bashing into storefronts is rampant.   Indeed, crime is decreasing per UB.   It is this kind of crime that is rampant and the progressive city leaders do nothing but harass the biz owner.   These thugs will drive these guys out of business and that will hurt lots of people.   It is anarchy and the progressives applaud. 

mspart

• Bob 1
  • Fire 1

18 hours ago, Scouts Honor said:

but crime is going down

yep and Biden has more energy that I can keep up with.   Both are lies we are being told by the same people.   Biden's now is provable.   The idea crime is going down is laughable.   I was told my open eyes witnessing Biden's incapacities was deep fake or cheap fake crap.   Well my eyes saw it for a couple of years now and last night, everyone's eyes saw it.   The faces on the CNN panel were hilarious.   Like they had been hit by a train.    Everyone's eyes sees the crime that has risen since George Floyd and we are told crime is going down.   Certainly this store owner does not believe it because this is the 4th time he has been robbed.   https://notthebee.com/article/this-san-francisco-convenience-store-was-ransacked-and-the-first-thing-the-city-did-was-send-them-a-notice-telling-them-they-have-90-days-to-fix-the-damage

mspart

17 hours ago, mspart said:

yep and Biden has more energy that I can keep up with.   

mspart

When was the last time we saw Joe riding his bicycle?

On 6/27/2024 at 12:26 PM, mspart said:

Forget about the perps, we don't care about them obviously.  But you better get that storefront fixed ASAP or we will fine you.   I heard this on the radio.   This guy has no insurance because insurance companies no longer insure folks that are in downtown areas because shoplifting and car bashing into storefronts is rampant.   Indeed, crime is decreasing per UB.   It is this kind of crime that is rampant and the progressive city leaders do nothing but harass the biz owner.   These thugs will drive these guys out of business and that will hurt lots of people.   It is anarchy and the progressives applaud. 

mspart

According to Uncle protester Bernie it’s as safe as it’s ever been.  What an FN 🤡 

1 minute ago, three_arrows said:

I was born in 1975 and I wasn't. 

Act your age, shit for brains. 

Enjoy your crow sandwich.  You were wrong after guaranteeing it. Bahahhahahahahahahah.  Skippy is pretty dumb 

Just now, JimmyBT said:

Enjoy your crow sandwich.  You were wrong after guaranteeing it. Bahahhahahahahahahah.  Skippy is pretty dumb 

That's what you've got. 

"I was born before 1972 and the crime rate was lower then...." 

???

🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣