Conference Realignment in College Wrestling

Ideas

Since the ACC only has 7 teams they should add (with Stanford) App State, Little Rock and Chattanooga

BIg 12 (with ASU) Oregon State and Cal Poly to make it even

Big Ten DO NOTHING

Pac 12 Shrivel up in pieces and die

SoCon and MAC add D2 schools

• Haha 1

32 minutes ago, CowboyYe2024 said:

Ideas

Since the ACC only has 7 teams they should add (with Stanford) App State, Little Rock and Chattanooga

BIg 12 (with ASU) Oregon State and Cal Poly to make it even

Big Ten DO NOTHING

Pac 12 Shrivel up in pieces and die

SoCon and MAC add D2 schools

You can't 'just' add D2 schools.  That isn't how it works.

You also are pulling folks from the SOCON and throwing them in to the ACC as if the ACC would even consider or want them (they don't).

• Fire 1

"I know actually nothing.  It isn't even conjecture at this point." - me

Just now, nhs67 said:

You can't 'just' add D2 schools.  That isn't how it works.

You also are pulling folks from the SOCON and throwing them in to the ACC as if the ACC would even consider or want them (they don't).

Every conference should have a team from each time zone and region. 

Add Club teams

Just a few of my ideas coming out in my next book. 

• Bob 2
  • Haha 2

Sponsored by INTERMAT ⭐⭐⭐⭐

30 minutes ago, Ohio Elite said:

Is it gonna be a coloring book by chance?  Those are my fav...

if it's a book about wrestling coloring is fine - but please make sure it's not scratch and sniff!

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Idaho said:

Every conference should have a team from each time zone and region and eat potatoes twice a week.

Add Club teams

Just a few of my ideas coming out in my next book. 

ftfy

Posted (edited)

All D1 starters should receive an invitation to the NCAA tournament. Nearly half the guys in D1 will qualify for NCAAs anyway (it's not exactly "elite" if the 9th place finisher at a conference tournament qualifies for nationals!).  Tournament and dual results can be used for seeding purposes. 

Edited by NM1965

33 minutes ago, OMW said:

if it's a book about wrestling coloring is fine - but please make sure it's not scratch and sniff!

LOL. Do you think wrestlers would be capable of coloring within the lines?? 

Below: colored by Tom Brands in 2016

Scribbles

Posted (edited)
3 hours ago, NM1965 said:

All D1 starters should receive an invitation to the NCAA tournament. Nearly half the guys in D1 will qualify for NCAAs anyway (it's not exactly "elite" if the 9th place finisher at a conference tournament qualifies for nationals!).  Tournament and dual results can be used for seeding purposes. 

Completely disagree with this.   Not much point to regular season if everybody is invited.  You would just devalue the accomplishment of being a national qualifier for those that have done so in the past and those that would have done so without everybody getting a pass.  I haven't even addressed all of the logistical issues created with so many entrants plus many more unwatchable matches.  Just hand out participation ribbons to everybody.  Kumbiya!

Edited by CalWrestler

Posted (edited)
7 minutes ago, CalWrestler said:

Completely disagree with this.   Not much point to regular season if everybody is invited.  You would just devalue the accomplishment of being a national qualifier for those that have done so in the past and those that would have done so without everybody getting a pass.  I haven't even mentioned the logistical issues created with so many entrants plus many more unwatchable matches.  Just hand out participation ribbons to everybody.  Kumbiya!

Are you kidding? They are practically giving out participation ribbons already what with 9th place losers qualifying for NCAAs. Plus nearly half the guys in D1 make the tournament anyway, so there's no point in pretending you need elite qualifications to make NCAAs. Heck, even in HS state tournaments no more than 1/4 of the guys qualify for state. Just make the tournament an invitational and invite all starters. It wouldn't even add much length to the tournament. Going between a 32 man and a 64 man bracket is only one more match.  That would also remove bias from selection. 

Edited by NM1965
  • Bob 1

Posted (edited)
5 hours ago, Idaho said:

Every conference should have a team from each time zone and region. 

So each conference has 24 teams, minimum?

I wonder what the NIL money is like in Kurdistan.

Edited by jdalu75

1 hour ago, jdalu75 said:

So each conference has 24 teams, minimum?

I wonder what the NIL money is like in Kurdistan.

Big 12 is almost there. 

Sponsored by INTERMAT ⭐⭐⭐⭐

Posted (edited)
7 hours ago, NM1965 said:

A match is a match. Dual or regular season Tournament. Strength of schedule is a thing. 

Edited by JimmyBT

3 hours ago, NM1965 said:

Are you kidding? They are practically giving out participation ribbons already what with 9th place losers qualifying for NCAAs. Plus nearly half the guys in D1 make the tournament anyway, so there's no point in pretending you need elite qualifications to make NCAAs. Heck, even in HS state tournaments no more than 1/4 of the guys qualify for state. Just make the tournament an invitational and invite all starters. It wouldn't even add much length to the tournament. Going between a 32 man and a 64 man bracket is only one more match.  That would also remove bias from selection. 

A 9th place finisher in the Big10 is equal to a __________ in the Mac or SoCon.  Cant wait to hear your answer 

• Bob 1

16 minutes ago, JimmyBT said:

A 9th place finisher in the Big10 is equal to a __________ in the Mac or SoCon.  Cant wait to hear your answer 

Ist place,maybe a 2nd place

• Bob 1

10 hours ago, JimmyBT said:

A match is a match. Dual or regular season Tournament. Strength of schedule is a thing. 

Yeah, SOS is a thing. That would be considered in seeding. 

Posted (edited)
10 hours ago, JimmyBT said:

That's hardly the point. I know how the small conferences stack up against the B10. But if you guys are gonna say that inviting all the starters is a "participation trophy" situation then I don't know how you can say that a kid who finished behind EIGHT other kids at his conference tourney has earned an invite. Seriously, 9th place is shit and a guy getting invited to NCAAs on a 9th place finish IS a "participation trophy". The beauty is that under my idea of inviting all starters it removes any bias built in. The 9th place kid will get his shot at NCAAs just like every other starting wrestler and he won't have to rely on a very imperfect and biased system to get him an invite.  

Just invite all the starters from all the D1 schools and we'll have a nice little season ending rumble. I don't see the problem going from 33 to 64 (or 66 man, technically) brackets. Regarding reg season and conference tourneys, the results from those will be what's used to seed the wrestlers. Easy, peasy, japanesey.  Plus, I think it would make NCAAs even more compelling. 

Edited by NM1965

10 minutes ago, NM1965 said:

If you guys are gonna say that inviting all the starters is a "participation trophy" situation then I don't know how you can say that a kid who finished behind EIGHT other kids at his conference tourney has earned an invite. Seriously, 9th place is shit and a guy getting invited to NCAAs on a 9th place finish IS a "participation trophy". The beauty is that under my idea of inviting all starters it removes any bias built in. The 9th place kid will get his shot at NCAAs just like every other starting wrestler and he won't have to rely on a very imperfect and biased system to get him an invite.  

Just invite all the starters from all the D1 schools and we'll have a nice little season ending rumble. I don't see the problem going from 33 to 64 (or 66 man, technically) brackets. Regarding reg season and conference tourneys, the results from those will be what's used to seed the wrestlers. Easy, peasy, japanesey.  Plus, I think it would make NCAAs even more compelling. 

A.  I didn’t say anything about participation ribbons 

B.  There is nothing wrong with how they do it now. SOS is taken into account for deciding the actual wrestlers that make the tournament AND for seeding purposes. If the 9th best wrestler in a certain conference is better than the third best wrestler in a different conference they deserve one of the allotted spots.  Pretty simple. 

3 minutes ago, JimmyBT said:

A.  I didn’t say anything about participation ribbons 

B.  There is nothing wrong with how they do it now. SOS is taken into account for deciding the actual wrestlers that make the tournament AND for seeding purposes. If the 9th best wrestler in a certain conference is better than the third best wrestler in a different conference they deserve one of the allotted spots.  Pretty simple. 

A. You didn't but another guy did. 

B. I disagree.