Parco to Iowa....

5 minutes ago, AgaveMaria said:

You may have something here. Iowa training is known to be hard on guys and transfers who come in don't seem to get any better - Real Woods being a good example. He seemed to lose more than he gained.

Penn State may be hurting themselves with the limited schedule. Yep, winning Titles but doing the fans no favors. All the "fun", but not in seeing a lot of actual wrestling.

The Sport probably sees more injury than any other than Gymnsatics and everyone competes while hurting. 

I prefer the Penn State mentality to the Iowa Grinders but somewhere we need to see more competition dates.

Real Woods was way better at Iowa than Stanford.

• Brain 1

38 minutes ago, Interviewed_at_Weehawken said:

Real Woods was way better at Iowa than Stanford.

The best version of Woods we saw was the one that didn't get to compete at Nationals due to Covid.

That version was from Stanford.

"I know actually nothing.  It isn't even conjecture at this point." - me

1 minute ago, nhs67 said:

The best version of Woods we saw was the one that didn't get to compete at Nationals due to Covid.

We will never know.  Alirez went on record that Woods was a lot better at Iowa, despite losing to him at Stanford and beating him at Iowa in the finals.

1 hour ago, RegularStalling said:

If they could land Barraclough and whoever the mystery man is at 184, they could be on to something.

I don't think it is much of a mystery man.  The only gent that is in the portal that could run it back up at 184lbs is Rutger's Billy Janzer.  I don't see anyone that would fit that bill, unless Amine is that guy - which I don't see.  I also don't see Bearclaw as that guy (hopefully Bearclaw is at 157/165 with Teemer at the other weight).

1 hour ago, Interviewed_at_Weehawken said:

We will never know.  Alirez went on record that Woods was a lot better at Iowa, despite losing to him at Stanford and beating him at Iowa in the finals.

It seems a bit convenient to say that you beat the guy when he was better and lost to him when he wasn't, right?  Seems like the best version of all 'four' of those wrestlers ends up being Alirez then, right?  Cooooonvenient.

2 hours ago, AgaveMaria said:

You may have something here. Iowa training is known to be hard on guys and transfers who come in don't seem to get any better - Real Woods being a good example. He seemed to lose more than he gained.

This is just not true.  He literally had his highest placement ever there, and wrestled the best he ever has.  Caliendo yet another example of excelling after transferring.   Franek placed worse than the year before, but he also has a style that lends itself to that.  Those are just the last two years transfers.  Iowa has it's problems, but transfers having success is not one of them.

2 hours ago, nhs67 said:

There is no evidence for this.  Woods has more bonus in his first year at Iowa against a Big 10 schedule and was undefeated until the NCAA finals.

2 hours ago, RegularStalling said:

If they could land Barraclough and whoever the mystery man is at 184, they could be on to something.

Earlier you said there would be a huge hole at two of 174, 184, and 197 if Larkin went 149.... why do you need Bearclaw? Teemer, McLane and Ruiz are  more thafine at 157-165- 174. 

Sponsored by INTERMAT ⭐⭐⭐⭐

2 hours ago, Interviewed_at_Weehawken said:

Say what you want, these guys can't let themselves give any credit to Iowa.  

• Bob 1

5 minutes ago, VakAttack said:

There is no evidence for this.  Woods has more bonus in his first year at Iowa against a Big 10 schedule and was undefeated until the NCAA finals.

2023 was definitely his best year....but his 2nd  best year is a toss up. 

2 minutes ago, Idaho said:

2023 was definitely his best year....but his 2nd  best year is a toss up. 

Sure, that's fair, but his second best placement was definitely his senior year at Iowa.

14 hours ago, Husker_Du said:

ASU is getting a really intriguing 184. solid at worst. 

Ruiz will be fine at 174. 

are they out on Terrell? it seemed like they were his only option aside from staying at PSU if he was going to continue wrestling in terms of his grad programs.

29 minutes ago, Idaho said:

Earlier you said there would be a huge hole at two of 174, 184, and 197 if Larkin went 149.... why do you need Bearclaw? Teemer, McLane and Ruiz are  more thafine at 157-165- 174. 

157: Teemer 165: Barraclough 174: Ruiz 184: insert “intriguing” transfer

55 minutes ago, VakAttack said:

There is evidence.  Higher bonus.  Schedule or not, he had his highest bonus in that span.

47 minutes ago, VakAttack said:

Sure, that's fair, but his second best placement was definitely his senior year at Iowa.

He might have won it or DNP the Covid year.  He had a 3-1 OT loss (his only one) to the #1 seed early in the season.  Frosh tend to improve a lot that first season during the season.

1 hour ago, VakAttack said:

Sure if you want to go by placements..... I wouldn't say he looked better the other two years though. His 6th place. year he lost to Lee and Seabass by 1 point each at the NCAA. Tough weight. 

1 hour ago, RegularStalling said:

157: Teemer 165: Barraclough 174: Ruiz 184: insert “intriguing” transfer

So now Larkin is a 149lber...haha....just messing with you.

McLane misses his senior year after transferring in.... Valencia done at ASU with two years left but can't transfer....man that would be brutal to those guys after the portal date....but Wee man has done that before to several guys. 

1 hour ago, nhs67 said:

There is evidence.  Higher bonus.  Schedule or not, he had his highest bonus in that span.

You can't just "schedule or not" that. What was his best win that year? Zach Sherman? 

20 minutes ago, VakAttack said:

You can't just "schedule or not" that. What was his best win that year? Zach Sherman? 

You said there was no evidence.  I offered evidence.

I could actually care less.

28 minutes ago, Idaho said:

So now Larkin is a 149lber...haha....just messing with you.

McLane misses his senior year after transferring in.... Valencia done at ASU with two years left but can't transfer....man that would be brutal to those guys after the portal date....but Wee man has done that before to several guys. 

LaRkIn Is FoR sUrE 157 bRo!

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Idaho said:

Sure if you want to go by placements..... I wouldn't say he looked better the other two years though. His 6th place. year he lost to Lee and Seabass by 1 point each at the NCAA. Tough weight. 

There certainly is evidence that 141 cleared out pretty substantially in 2023. The top 4 2022 placers did not return. Woods was then the second highest returning placer and finished second. Not a perfect way to look at it, but simple placement is also not perfect for the same reason.

Drowning in data, but thirsting for knowledge