New Iowa St Wrestling facility

Posted (edited)

Looks nice.  Some of the glass seems to go to other rooms so the natural light might be below the new standard for wrestling rooms.  

It was also nice of Virginia Tech to let them use their wrestling mats. 

Edited by Dogbone

6 minutes ago, Hammerlock3 said:

The whole "natural light" movement is spearheaded by people who spend a lot of money on informericials and the skymall catalogue.

UNI wrestler had a recent tweet making fun of the lack of natural light in Iowa's room.  Meanwhile the UNI room that he was bragging about had several pillars in the middle of it.  I would rather get artificial light than have Keckheisen concuss me with a blast double into the pillar.

I had a room with natural light... it is too dark to notice during the winter and if the light hits the mats during the summer they can get too hot to touch.

Also, people seem not to realize that all the "greys" in the Iowa facility are because it isn't finished yet.

3 minutes ago, Interviewed_at_Weehawken said:

UNI wrestler had a recent tweet making fun of the lack of natural light in Iowa's room.  Meanwhile the UNI room that he was bragging about had several pillars in the middle of it.  I would rather get artificial light than have Keckheisen concuss me with a blast double into the pillar.

I had a room with natural light... it is too dark to notice during the winter and if the light hits the mats during the summer they can get too hot to touch.

Also, people seem not to realize that all the "greys" in the Iowa facility are because it isn't finished yet.

Yeah the natural light thing is a direct outgrowth of "Iowa no fun dungeon" joke that has become the joke only stupid people laugh at.

The only way it makes things cleaner is by heating up portions of the mat like you alluded to, and this isn't a viable means of cleaning the mats due to inconsistent coverage and weather.

The natural light room I was in for years was facing west, and I was in there a lot at dawn and dusk, and those times sucked because you have sun directly in your eyes, a confound that doesn't have a training benefit. Its very aethetic if you're not wrestling, but if you are you want a washed out and evenly lit room, not a bunch of shadows and sun beams carving up the landscape visually.

• Bob 1

"Half measures are a coward's form of insanity."

2 hours ago, Hammerlock3 said:

The natural light room I was in for years was facing west, and I was in there a lot at dawn and dusk, and those times sucked because you have sun directly in your eyes,

You had light in your eyes at both dawn and dusk? That's a hell of a wrestling room...

• Bob 2

21 minutes ago, MPhillips said:

You had light in your eyes at both dawn and dusk? That's a hell of a wrestling room...

His room may have been located in a binary star system world.

• Bob 1
  • Brain 1

Posted (edited)
53 minutes ago, MPhillips said:

no just dusk (thought my hung over self would have been really pissed if the building was facing east), I just thought the time I'd spend rewriting the thing to reflect that seemed poor roi.

Edited by Hammerlock3

"Half measures are a coward's form of insanity."