Gable Steveson

13 hours ago, PortaJohn said:

Sean Mcdermott (PA Native) is a big time college wrestling fan.  Maybe he sneaks him on to the practice squad for a year.  Get some money in his pocket.  I do think there is a niche in the NFL for former wrestlers to develop techniques that can translate to becoming a tackling coach.  It's god awful at times watching NFL d's trying to tackle.  Terrible form and technique

Coming in for a visit is a long ways from making a roster, even practice squad.   Adam Coon was in mini camp with the Titans but was cut before the season. 

I hope Gable can make a roster if that's what he chooses to pursue but my point is just because you get a call to workout or they have "interest" doesn't mean he will be with a team in the fall.   Teams sign a bunch of undrafted rookies this time of year and most get cut.   

• Brain 1

Posted (edited)

A la Stephen Neal?    Gable has girth but how tall is he and how fast is he?    You need both to compete to be in NFL I would think.   Me for instance, couldn't make it.   Too short, not heavy enough, and not fast enough.   3 strikes I'm out!!!   Plus I'm just too old and tired now.  

Honestly, if this is all true, I hope it works out for him.   He's had a rough go with his dream of WWE.   But not everyone is cut out for that schtick.   In fact, I would say very few are.  

mspart

Edited by mspart

1 hour ago, mspart said:

A la Stephen Neal?    Gable has girth but how tall is he and how fast is he?    You need both to compete to be in NFL I would think.   Me for instance, couldn't make it.   Too short, not heavy enough, and not fast enough.   3 strikes I'm out!!!   Plus I'm just too old and tired now.  

Honestly, if this is all true, I hope it works out for him.   He's had a rough go with his dream of WWE.   But not everyone is cut out for that schtick.   In fact, I would say very few are.  

mspart

He is listed at 6'1", but having stood next to him I would put him just under 6'. Now Aaron Donald was also listed at 6'1", and he did OK.

Drowning in data, but thirsting for knowledge

1 hour ago, Wrestleknownothing said:

He is listed at 6'1", but having stood next to him I would put him just under 6'. Now Aaron Donald was also listed at 6'1", and he did OK.

Aaron Donald is a HOF freak athlete who trained for football since he was 5 years old.  Gable is also a freak athlete but how much football experience does he have?

1 minute ago, Jimmy Cinnabon said:

Aaron Donald is a HOF freak athlete who trained for football since he was 5 years old.  Gable is also a freak athlete but how much football experience does he have?

You are not Socrates.

Drowning in data, but thirsting for knowledge

18 hours ago, WrestleFan12 said:

Gable was given a workout yesterday by the Buffalo Bills. Maybe the NFL is in his future?

Did he even play in High School?

Seems like a gigantic long shot. Steve Mocco who had the same type of build as Steveson was a backup on a mediocre Oklahoma State team for half a season IIRC. Probably a more likely outcome than Stephen Neal's

I wish he would return to international wrestling but if his heart is not in it, there is no point.

• Bob 1

3 hours ago, Jim L said:

Did he even play in High School?

Seems like a gigantic long shot. Steve Mocco who had the same type of build as Steveson was a backup on a mediocre Oklahoma State team for half a season IIRC. Probably a more likely outcome than Stephen Neal's

I wish he would return to international wrestling but if his heart is not in it, there is no point.

I don't think he was a backup. He was one of the few who competed for Iowa and Okie State. He was not able to win it all while wearing black and gold, but was able to win it all while wearing black and orange. 

There have been a few articles written on the few guys that have been center stage at both of those historical programs. To me, it is quite interesting. 

Posted (edited)
14 minutes ago, TexRef said:

I don't think he was a backup. He was one of the few who competed for Iowa and Okie State. He was not able to win it all while wearing black and gold, but was able to win it all while wearing black and orange. 

There have been a few articles written on the few guys that have been center stage at both of those historical programs. To me, it is quite interesting. 

Mocco won for both schools (2003 Iowa, 2005 Oklahoma State.)

I think this was referring to him being a backup DT on the OSU football team.  He had never played football in his life.

Edited by Interviewed_at_Weehawken
  • Bob 3

20 minutes ago, Interviewed_at_Weehawken said:

Mocco won for both schools (2003 Iowa, 2005 Oklahoma State.)

I think this was referring to him being a backup DT on the OSU football team.  He had never played football in his life.

Thank you! I was not aware the he was a backup DT at OSU! 

• Bob 1

Steveson has no shot at making an NFL roster and he won't be back wrestling at the NCAA level. I bet we see him on the senior circuit soon though because he doesn't have anything else to do and he will want that stipend money. 

Too bad he didn't make that decision just a little earlier.   Perhaps he doesn't want to do the extreme training needed to succeed at the highest level in wrestling.   But to make NFL, he will need to do that.   And I'm guessing he did at WWE as well.   But he knows what it is like in wrestling. 

mspart

4 minutes ago, WrestlingRash said:

Steveson has no shot at making an NFL roster and he won't be back wrestling at the NCAA level. I bet we see him on the senior circuit soon though because he doesn't have anything else to do and he will want that stipend money. 

Strongly agree with the basic premises. 

Not a serious NFL prospect, and at some point he'll realize that real wrestling is his best shot at steady income. 

I draw a different conclusion from these starting points about whether he would go to college -- why wouldn't he do one more year if he can get that retroactive bogus Olympic redshirt approved for a high six figure payday. 

He is a different kind of guy.  Better at wrestling than literally everyone else but not nearly as interested in wrestling as everyone else.  My fervent hope is that he comes back to the thing he is singularly great.  I'd be surprised if he'll be any kind of successful at anything else he's interested in. 

He is however (sadly for anyone who wants to watch the greatest wrestler wrestle) as a man of free will to be entitled to be interested in other things, including that he's entitled to go to a football training camp if a team is willing to invite him (think they like wrestling in Buffalo, Burroughs spoke to them once at practice) and see if it generates any worthless publicity regarding something that isn't going to happen.  Just gotta wait for this to blow itself out and see if we're lucky enough to get him back.

• Bob 1

6 minutes ago, dragit said:

He is however (sadly for anyone who wants to watch the greatest wrestler wrestle) as a man of free will to be entitled to be interested in other things, including that he's entitled to go to a football training camp if a team is willing to invite him (think they like wrestling in Buffalo, Burroughs spoke to them once at practice) and see if it generates any worthless publicity regarding something that isn't going to happen.  Just gotta wait for this to blow itself out and see if we're lucky enough to get him back.

This is true.  Head coach McDermott is a 2x National Prep champ.  May have trained at the junior Foxcatcher club?  So yeah, he likes wrestling.  I think Cael may have actually let him attend practice and observe the inner workings at PSU at some point, coach to coach.

The Burroughs thing is a bit more interesting than it appears on the surface.  Despite being from NJ, JB is a Bills fan.  Why?  His wife is the niece of Bills HOF RB Thurman Thomas.  So it was a given that he would be invited to speak when he attended training camp as a guest.

• Bob 1

A few things Steveson could consider:

• Return to college wrestling
  • Enter the freestyle circuit
  • Play a year of college football and hope to make an NFL team next year (seems bad for brain health)
  • Pursue making an NFL team or NFL practice team (seems bad for brain health)
  • Pursue MMA (seems bad for brain health)
  • Pursue a career outside athletics

4 minutes ago, peanut said:

• Play a year of college football and hope to make an NFL team next year (seems bad for brain health)

I think MMA could work for him, but he needs to be willing to put a full effort in.  I would suggest AKA where Cormier and Cain Velasquez trained.  They have a history of turning big guys with wrestling skills into world champs.

4 minutes ago, Interviewed_at_Weehawken said:

I think MMA could work for him, but he needs to be willing to put a full effort in.  I would suggest AKA where Cormier and Cain Velasquez trained.  They have a history of turning big guys with wrestling skills into world champs.

That's actually a good idea.   Yes, there could be brain damage in MMA but I think not as much as in boxing itself.   Especially with a wrestler who will want to be on the ground rather than punching.  

mspart

• Bob 1

1 hour ago, peanut said:

Best in the world at the first two.  Zero chance he'd be successful at the next two.  Doubt he'd be particularly successful at either of the last two. But only he can decide what he thinks is best for his life.