Word Games That need to stop

I recently decided that I think its a moral duty to start restoring the definition of the word "racism." Last weekend a friends girlfriend told me "you're such a white man", and I just ignored it because she's sort of dumb, but I should have pointed it that such comments are just a resentful mechanism intended to weaponize racism and sexism under the idiotic idea that doing that is how you prevent future injustice.

In my opinion the word "genocide" is people manipulated similarly,  and to indulge my partisan side I also think "gender affirming care" and "pro-choice" are repulsive euphemisms intended to deceive people.

I'm sure the right does this too, the most obvious example I can think of now is "collateral damage" as an expression for random people getting blown up, what others am I missing? 

• Bob 2

"Half measures are a coward's form of insanity."

"Bullying" might be another.  We've taken it from what occurs in schools to using it against someone who might just be very intentional and has a plan.  

2 hours ago, Scouts Honor said:

Thomas Schelling coined the collateral damage back in '61.

not sure if he was a conservative, i would bet he was... but not certain.

yeah its not as hyper partisan as some terms, you talk about obama drones or the war in ukraine and AOC would be wearing the phrase out.

• Brain 1

can we really not think of a purely right wing abuse of language? if that's the case i'm definitely gonna be pointing that out to a lot of people.

9 hours ago, ionel said:

"Bullying" might be another.  We've taken it from what occurs in schools to using it against someone who might just be very intentional and has a plan.  

Truly despise the level to which the word "bullying" has risen.

• Bob 1

Language to obscure or soften the impact of harsh realities?

• Downsizing or Rightsizing: putting people out of work through layoffs/firings
  • Revenue enhancement: raising prices or taxes
  • Pre-owned: used
  • Nonconsensual: rape
  • Ethnic cleansing: atrocities
  • Undocumented immigrant: criminal tresspasser
  • Selective service: militay draft
  • Friendly fire: shooting people on your own team
  • Strategic withdrawal: retreat 
  • Enhanced Interrogation: torture
  • Comfort women: hooker
  • Pro-Choice: anti vaccinate, also - baby killing
  • Differently abled, special needs: handicapped
  • Big government: authoritarian pirates and hookers
  • Social justice warriors: pushy hypocrits hyper focused on identity politics that love cancel culture
  • Common sense: universally valid

How am I doing?

On 5/2/2024 at 12:10 PM, Hammerlock3 said:

I recently decided that I think it’s a moral duty to start restoring the definition of the word "racism." Last weekend a friends girlfriend told me "you're such a white man", and I just ignored it because she's sort of dumb, but I should have pointed it that such comments are just a resentful mechanism intended to weaponize racism and sexism under the idiotic idea that doing that is how you prevent future injustice  

In my opinion the word "genocide" is people manipulated similarly,  and to indulge my partisan side I also think "gender affirming care" and "pro-choice" are repulsive euphemisms intended to deceive people.

I'm sure the right does this too, the most obvious example I can think of now is "collateral damage" as an expression for random people getting blown up, what others am I missing? 

No need to point it out as it will happen organically. 

On 5/2/2024 at 11:10 PM, WrestlingRasta said:

Truly despise the level to which the word "bullying" has risen.

I assume this is because it's risen concurrently with the idea that victim hood is virtue and "weak makes right" attitude.

On 5/3/2024 at 11:01 AM, jross said:

Language to obscure or soften the impact of harsh realities?

• Downsizing or Rightsizing: putting people out of work through layoffs/firings
  • Revenue enhancement: raising prices or taxes
  • Pre-owned: used
  • Nonconsensual: rape
  • Ethnic cleansing: atrocities
  • Undocumented immigrant: criminal tresspasser
  • Selective service: militay draft
  • Friendly fire: shooting people on your own team
  • Strategic withdrawal: retreat 
  • Enhanced Interrogation: torture
  • Comfort women: hooker
  • Pro-Choice: anti vaccinate, also - baby killing
  • Differently abled, special needs: handicapped
  • Big government: authoritarian pirates and hookers
  • Social justice warriors: pushy hypocrits hyper focused on identity politics that love cancel culture
  • Common sense: universally valid

How am I doing?

I'd say many of those have a sterile feeling which robs them of their humanity, but have enough nuance to justify existing and are not merely propagandist attempts to prevent people from actually thinking about issues. 

We both mentioned "pro-choice", thats got to be the best example. You could argue for literally any behavior based on being in favor of people being able to make decisions, plus it ignores the right of fetish to make a decision ever, so it someone makes no sense either externally or within its own rule set.

33 minutes ago, Hammerlock3 said:

I assume this is because it's risen concurrently with the idea that victim hood is virtue and "weak makes right" attitude.

Can't disagree.  I just relate it to coping skills.  Whether it's someone picking on you in school, not being able to find the perfect job, not being able to get a date, or accepting election results..........coping skills have depleted significantly throughout the country.

24 minutes ago, WrestlingRasta said:

Can't disagree.  I just relate it to coping skills.  Whether it's someone picking on you in school, not being able to find the perfect job, not being able to get a date, or accepting election results..........coping skills have depleted significantly throughout the country.

tracing it back further, the decline in coping skills seems related to utupian thinking...or maybe the idea that because we have material abundance enough to end things like poverty, but people focusing on that detail tend to completely ignore the idea that material well being is almost a neutral factor with regard to living whatever we consider to be a good life.

Oh yeah, how could I forget "equity". The quality of being fair or impartial.

Now it means systematically persecuting hard working competent people to equalize their outcomes with lazy, incompetent people.