Women's National Championship

Women's National Championship  

30 members have voted

1. 1. How would you like to see this tourney set up?

• Add to current Men's Tournament
    • Separate Women's Tournament

Great news for women's wrestling. How would y'all feel if, like the Olympic Trials, this was simply added to the Men's Tourney? With all of the supporters, I think most on this board would approve of that move. 

Edited by pokemonster

No, for several reasons.

1. Tournament is already 3 days...adding women would make it even longer.

2. It's a totally different sport right now - freestyle vs folkstyle.

3. Could you even find an interior arena big enough to hold all the mats needed?

• Clown 1

10 hours ago, pokemonster said:

How would y'all feel if, like the Olympic Trials, this was simply added to the Men's Tourney? With all of the supporters, I think most on this board would approve of that move. 

I think you think wrong.  Just because it's the same sport doesn't mean that everyone who likes men's wrestling wants to watch women's too.  Don't mess with a good thing, keep the women separate.

Edited by KCMO2

If there's a separate women's tournament my hope is that it will be sufficiently staggered so the men's and women's championships and conference tournaments don't cannibalize one another. Make it easy for fans who want to attend both to take vacation and travel to both. Better yet, space apart the two seasons so that the men's Nationals builds hype for the sport that carries over to the women's Nationals, or vice versa.

1 hour ago, CHROMEBIRD said:

If there's a separate women's tournament my hope is that it will be sufficiently staggered so the men's and women's championships and conference tournaments don't cannibalize one another. Make it easy for fans who want to attend both to take vacation and travel to both. Better yet, space apart the two seasons so that the men's Nationals builds hype for the sport that carries over to the women's Nationals, or vice versa.

It would be a huge blunder to schedule them at the same time. Would cut the audience by 90% for the women. 

I’d follow both, but if I have to choose it’s men’s NCAA. 

18 hours ago, KCMO2 said:

I think you think wrong.  Just because it's the same sport doesn't mean that everyone who likes men's wrestling wants to watch women's too.  Don't mess with a good thing, keep the women separate.

I was kinda trolling by my post, it'd be incredibly way too long if it was added to the men's tournament lol. The Olympic trials were very frustrating to watch because there was too much going on. 

• Bob 1

It would be a huge blunder to schedule them at the same time. Would cut the audience by 90% for the women. 

I’d follow both, but if I have to choose it’s men’s NCAA. 

I mean, the two college women’s championships now (NCWWC and NAIA) go on during the current postseason. I personally think they need to be away from the men’s postseason to maximin exposure. Not that many outlets to actively cover the men’s side as it is, which puts the women’s divisions at a disadvantage even further down the pecking order.
  • Bob 2

Insert catchy tagline here. 

24 minutes ago, Dakota said:

They need to switch to folkstyle already!

Ain't going to happen. Women's college wrestling is almost a quarter-century old and it's been huge for the growth of our international women's development. 

• Bob 1

Insert catchy tagline here. 

11 hours ago, Jason Bryant said:

Ain't going to happen. Women's college wrestling is almost a quarter-century old and it's been huge for the growth of our international women's development. 

With Girls Youth and High School growing so much and they wrestle folkstyle, makes no sense to me. 

1 hour ago, Dakota said:

makes no sense to me.

12 hours ago, Jason Bryant said:

Women's college wrestling is almost a quarter-century old and it's been huge for the growth of our international women's development. 

🇺🇸

On 4/26/2024 at 11:51 AM, Jimmy Cinnabon said:

No, for several reasons.

1. Tournament is already 3 days...adding women would make it even longer.

2. It's a totally different sport right now - freestyle vs folkstyle.

3. Could you even find an interior arena big enough to hold all the mats needed?

The obvious solution would be to take another page from the Olympic playbook and cut the number of weights.  Currently there are 10 mens weights just make it 5 men and 5 women and kept the same format.  That solves 1 and 3.  If 2 is that big of an issue we could just switch the men to freestyle and solve everything.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, fishbane said:

The obvious solution would be to take another page from the Olympic playbook and cut the number of weights.  Currently there are 10 mens weights just make it 5 men and 5 women and kept the same format.  That solves 1 and 3.  If 2 is that big of an issue we could just switch the men to freestyle and solve everything.

🎣

I honestly wouldn’t hate it if they did it Shane Sparks quadbox style with 1 mat each for the finals.

But I also think the men’s tournament should be spread over 2 weekends.  And for the people that won’t watch the women, it might even make it easier to follow the mens if they are on less mats.  8 is a little overwhelming TBH.

Women's wrestling should take the lead and become a 1 semester season.   Start in January and end in April with the championships set away from the Men's wrestling and BB tourneys.  If it gains traction it could lead to Men Wrestling following.

• Bob 1
  • Fire 1
  • Haha 1

• 4 weeks later...

A big supporter of Women’s Wrestling … but … please don’t combine them into one Site/Tournament.

Missouri did this for their HS State Tournament and essentially RUINED what had been an awesome & entertaining event for the last 40 years.

Radically changing the format, accelerating rounds & separating the Boys Classes to different days just felt like a hurried, half-baked, disorganized, cheapened version of its former self.

I fear the same would eventually happen to the NCAA D1 Tourney if they were to entertain this idea.

• Brain 1

On 4/29/2024 at 9:30 AM, Dakota said:

With Girls Youth and High School growing so much and they wrestle folkstyle, makes no sense to me. 

New York is going to be Freestyle when they start in 2024-2025. It'll be the first and only non-Folkstyle state.