Most Gruesome Injuries

IDK why i was thinking about this but...

I was at a dual at Nebraska around 2003 ish and Travis Shufelt tore up his elbow something wicked. he rolled over and his arm flopped around like a limp noodle.

what are some of the most cringy on-the-mat injuries you remember?

Brayton Lee comes to mind. And Cory Clark had one in FS.

TBD

Elbow dislocations are the worst, imo. As a youth, maybe 8th grade, a kid I remember a teammate laying on his back and his elbow was a 90 degree angle the wrong way, sticking up from the mat. I mostly remember him screaming for his mommy. Gruesome for sure. 

Listen, when I think of gross things in wrestling, and I’m sorry to bring this back up, but David Carr’s booger flapping like a windsock still pollutes my mind. I’ve seen the YouTube videos of neck/spine injuries, but that booger is just the thing that gets me. I truly am sorry. I had to get this off my chest. Kind of a sticky memory. 

• Haha 3

The worst injury I saw was my own. Rolling with a FS champ in HS, leading 12-5 with 2 minutes riding time and only 15 seconds in the match. He was working from the top, desperate because he was so far behind, and while trying to break me down he dislocated my right elbow. My right arm flopped like a noodle right in front of a cute mat maid, who proceeded to faint. They stopped the match, I told the coach to pop my elbow back into place so I could complete my win. He refused. I "lost" by injury default because my coach was a goddam pussy.  Didn't recover in time for state, either 😞

1 hour ago, Hammerlock3 said:

What happened to Richard Perry? that sounded really messed up

that was while playing some crazy game in a warm up at national team camp. they weren't really wrestling at the time. 

TBD

35 minutes ago, flyingcement said:

This brings back nightmares of my middle school teammate (Justin Martin) had a testicle steppped on and squashed (it need to be removed).  

Not sure i needed to know this.  🥴

• Jagger 1

During my frosh year in HS, there was a guy on the other team who was paralyzed due to legal mat return.  I'll never forget him crying when he came to the realization that he had no feeling in his legs.

1 minute ago, lu_alum said:

During my frosh year in HS, there was a guy on the other team who was paralyzed due to legal mat return.  I'll never forget him crying when he came to the realization that he had no feeling in his legs.

this one takes the cake.  awful.  

Not a college match.... but I was on deck at the Greco roman state tourney in high school. The match being wrestled had to be stopped for about 20 minutes due to a severe injury. One of the kids lifted his opponent off the mat into a belly to back....the kid being thrown put his hand back over his head to catch himself...the radius and ulna slowly bent, snapped, and compound fracture. Lots of screaming with paramedics running to the mat. It was gruesome. I wrestled next. 

Sponsored by INTERMAT ⭐⭐⭐⭐

1 minute ago, Idaho said:

Not a college match.... but I was on deck at the Greco roman state tourney in high school. The match being wrestled had to be stopped for about 20 minutes due to a severe injury. One of the kids lifted his opponent off the mat into a belly to back....the kid being thrown put his hand back over his head to catch himself...the radius and ulna slowly bent, snapped, and compound fracture. Lots of screaming with paramedics running to the mat. It was gruesome. I wrestled next. 

ouch - thats gruesome

on way to earning third place at VEWL in 1994, I hit a kid from Emmaus with a headlock and his chin hit his collarbone on the way down in a way that left him in a state of immense pain and had to use a stretcher to take him off the mat.  i developed a semi-friendship with him over the years and the last match we ever had, he finally beat me for the first time.  he ended up taking 6th for Kutztown at PSAC back in the day.  

Edited by flyingcement
  • Potato 1

Fargo in like 2010. Raised platform in the round robins, before we went to line bracketing. Colin Shober was on the raised mat wrestling and he got hit with a cutback and when the kid grabbed his ankle, his shin just straight up popped. Audible pop. Bill Zadick and I were watching the match side by side and we both nearly threw up at that moment. Thankfully it wasn't a compound fracture, but one of the ones I just shiver when I think about. 

Insert catchy tagline here. 

I was coaching a Greco team in a dual at Line Mt(?) (It should be noted that we didn't have a Greco team, I.e. we were just there for the Freestyle tournament and figured what the hell). My kid got snapped down into like short offense position. The other guy had a front headlock. My guy goes belly down so as got to get head-pinched or gator-rolled off the mat. Then the mother-f#@$er with the front head-lock does a front flip/head spring with the front head-lock! He bends my guy in half backwards and breaks his back. The whole gym heard the pop, and about 5 of my guys start crying in rage. I had to stop fights left and right and get my kids to the parking lot while the trainers then the paramedics took care of Tyler. He was in the hospital overnight but was ultimately "ok."

BTW sorry If you heard this one before. I told it on the other site 

Edited by jackwebster

If you know, you know...

Was warming up one of my wrestlers at the State tournament...we were drilling on a really soft mat. Anyone who has wrestled at the VA States at the Salem Civic Center knows that the "Big Orange" mat is one of the softest mats ever. Kid hits a nice double on me, driving me to my butt, so I posted my hands on the mat. His momentum drove all of his weight to my right shoulder and my posted hand. Pinkie finger sinks into the soft mat and dislocates. I pop it back into the joint and resume drilling. But over the years, the pinkie slowly moved out of joint and is where it is today. 

IMG_2768.JPG

• Fire 1

I've seen a few nasty ones:

• 8th grade, teammate landed wrong and snapped his radius and ulna about halfway between the wrist and elbow.  Looked like his arm was made of rubber
  • Freshman year, JV dual a teammate attempted to trip his opponent and pulled him to the side.  Kids leg was blocked and he broke his tib/fib.  Sounded like a gun shot went off in the gym.  I remember the kids dad jumping over the railing to get to the mat and taking a pretty nasty fall.
  • A kid a few years younger than me had a testicle injury during a match

My sophomore year, one of my teammates got taken down within 30 seconds of a match and his ankle straight up was twisted out to the side.  We caught only a glimpse of it, but it was nasty.  We called him on the bus ride back home when he was at the hospital & he told us how awesome the morphine was.