Impact Freshmen coming in 24.

56 minutes ago, PacMan said:

Valencia is indeed ready to roll out of the gate, but I do agree that he's a 149 pounder, and Abas is likely coming back for another year.  RS feels inevitable, but we've seen stranger things.  A lot of these freshman hammers coming in for Stanford (Consiglio, Mara, Parco, Guffey, Cholakyan, Han Lindemeyer) I have to think will RS.

do you think consiglio is a 141,149 or 157 hes grown a lot since his sophomore year so I could see him still filling out he has a big frame bu hes another guy I think is ready now despite his underwhelming showing at dapper dan.

1 hour ago, Lunaticfringe said:

We have seen it many times now with True Freshmen Hwts. Both Mason Parris and Adam Coon went into NCAAs as true freshmen ranked very high and failed to place. Very rare to see a true freshmen place at Hwt.

My worry is the portal for Hopke. If you redshirt him and develop him for someone else. If you wrestle him immediately he will likely be similar to what we have in Bennett Tabor, undersized about 230 lbs and will be ranked in the 15-25 range.

Hopke isn't going anywhere. You need to worry about Brandvold because he is the Casey Cunningham of Heavyweight U

• Bob 1
  • Fire 1

i am an idiot on the internet

Hopke is in the perfect situation at Minnesota.  He is already 240ish, he can redshirt and work on getting stronger, while drilling with Zillmer, Hilger, G. Nelson, Tabor, and Steveson once in awhile.

• Bob 1

2 hours ago, MNRodent said:

Hopke is in the perfect situation at Minnesota.  He is already 240ish, he can redshirt and work on getting stronger, while drilling with Zillmer, Hilger, G. Nelson, Tabor, and Steveson once in awhile.

And he's a "soft" 240. He's going to have to find the very fine balance of big vs. quick and I think he finds it, the only question is how and when. He is going to be nasty for years to come.

i am an idiot on the internet

If we're getting names out there i'll throw some TN kids names out

Cooper Hilton, Michigan, probably 149

Landon Desselle, Ohio State, 149 (im guessing he'll rs acutally)

Jarvis Little, App St, 133 (may make a good socon run as a fresh)

Jake Stacey, Chatt, 174

On 4/13/2024 at 3:32 PM, Threadkilla said:

Who are the guys that are expected to make an imact out of the gate. 

This year there were several impact true freshmen ie  Stanich, Davis, Welch, Kasak, Shapiro, Bailey, Tj Stewart, Ragotzky, Fishback, Arnold, Barr, Keuter etc. 

6 of those mentionded were AA's   Davis was the B10 champ.   The others  were R12 or spot started and showed out.

There are some absolute hammers coming in the next couple years that will be in the conversation from the start.  

The kids I have been hearing about the most in 2024 are:    

1.    Luke Lilledahl    Wyoming Seminary    PA    Penn State    
2    Angelo Ferrari    Melissa    TX    Iowa    
3    Benjamin Davino    St. Charles    IL    Ohio State        
4    Koy Hopke    Amery    WI    Minnesota      
5    Zack Ryder    Minisink Valley    NY    Penn State     182   
6    Joseph Sealey    Wyoming Seminary    PA    Penn State    160    
7    Aeoden Sinclair    Milton     WI    Missouri    195   
8    Cody Merrill    Gilroy    CA    Oklahoma State    220   
9    Brock Mantanona    Palm Desert    CA    Michigan     152   
10    Pierson Manville    State College    PA    Arizona State   145   

I'm not as familier with the 2025 class but PJ Duke sticks out, the kid is a bull and super slick.  A PSU recruit right in their 157 to 174 range where PSU is loaded.

Who are the guys that are going to make an immediate impact.  

I would like to add Ty Watters to that list for 23/24 - NCAA 4th as a True Frosh at WVU 

• Bob 3
  • Brain 1

Lesser resourced programs need to be very careful about how they're using redshirts.  

In the NIL era, it's increasingly likely you're developing that recruit for someone else.  IMO guys are more likely to stay once they've already started competing--obviously each individual situation is different, but generally speaking if you can get them on the mat and prove to them they can have success at your program, that's going to be a more secure situation.  

We already saw this play out last year with guys like Mesenbrink, Jamison and Spratley, to name a few.  

This topic perhaps deserves its own thread.  

36 minutes ago, Idaho said:

So who are the real impact freshman not redshirting that will be starting for their university next season and actually having an....impact? 

I think PSU is going to have a hard time keeping Mirasola the Smaller out of the lineup if he wants to go. 

He's going to be really, really good. 

That said, I think if Kerkvliet comes back, both he and his brother take a RS.

• Bob 1

Lesser resourced programs need to be very careful about how they're using redshirts.  
In the NIL era, it's increasingly likely you're developing that recruit for someone else.  IMO guys are more likely to stay once they've already started competing--obviously each individual situation is different, but generally speaking if you can get them on the mat and prove to them they can have success at your program, that's going to be a more secure situation.  
We already saw this play out last year with guys like Mesenbrink, Jamison and Spratley, to name a few.  
This topic perhaps deserves its own thread.  

Jamison and Spratley redshirted because they were not better than the person ahead of them. They transferred because when they were done redshirting, they still were not guaranteed their spots (especially Jamison, as shown by NCAA’s). What should have been done differently there?

I do not understand the panic against redshirting recruits. The overwhelming majority of transfers are grad transfers, the result of coaching changes, or guys in year 2 or 3 that can’t crack their lineup. Very few are legitimately being poached like Aaron Nagao. I think it is an overblown sentiment, and that’s coming from someone who roots for a team that has been more negatively impacted by the portal than any.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I think rushing a kid out there too early just to squeeze as much out of them right away puts you at a greater risk of losing them than taking the long term approach does. Especially if they’re not successful as a true freshman (most are not). Even a kid like Sergio Lemley who had a great regular season got bounced 1-2 at NCAA’s.

• Bob 1

1 hour ago, poorwrestler said:

I think rushing a kid out there too early just to squeeze as much out of them right away puts you at a greater risk of losing them than taking the long term approach does. Especially if they’re not successful as a true freshman (most are not). Even a kid like Sergio Lemley who had a great regular season got bounced 1-2 at NCAA’s.

Lots of evidence going both ways on it. Heck the class of 08 and 15 for the Gophers are good examples to not redshirt. CP Schlatter, Mack Reiter and Roger Kish were all battered, missed a lot of time and were a shell of themselves. 2015 you had Dylan Ness and Nick Dardanes.

3 hours ago, Idaho said:

So who are the real impact freshman not redshirting that will be starting for their university next season and actually having an....impact? 

Rune Lawerence will probably start right away at 197 for West Virginia, 4x Pa state champ 145-7 career record and should be an upgrade right off the bat 197 for WV

• Bob 1
  • Potato 1

45 minutes ago, Lunaticfringe said:

Lots of evidence going both ways on it. Heck the class of 08 and 15 for the Gophers are good examples to not redshirt. CP Schlatter, Mack Reiter and Roger Kish were all battered, missed a lot of time and were a shell of themselves. 2015 you had Dylan Ness and Nick Dardanes.

Ness probably could have started ahead of Danny Zilverberg as a true freshman but it’s doubtful that he would have finished as a 4x AA.  Nick Dardanes was behind Mike Thorn when he used his redshirt.

• Fire 1

2 hours ago, poorwrestler said:

Jamison and Spratley redshirted because they were not better than the person ahead of them. They transferred because when they were done redshirting, they still were not guaranteed their spots (especially Jamison, as shown by NCAA’s). What should have been done differently there?

I do not understand the panic against redshirting recruits. The overwhelming majority of transfers are grad transfers, the result of coaching changes, or guys in year 2 or 3 that can’t crack their lineup. Very few are legitimately being poached like Aaron Nagao. I think it is an overblown sentiment, and that’s coming from someone who roots for a team that has been more negatively impacted by the portal than any.

I wouldn't exactly call it panic, but I do think it's a very real consideration for a lot of teams.  I don't know what should have been done with Jamison and Spratley.  I do know that Minnesota would be better off with them in their lineup next year, and likely would've been better off with them in the lineup this year as well.  

These are tricky situations, but coaches need to find a way to navigate it.  Each individual is different.  Communication is key, and in a lot of cases, so is money.  

The cheapest way to get new business is to retain the clients you already have.  Recruiting is the same way.  Losing promising talent before they step on the mat for you will put you in a worse spot than if you'd never had them committed in the first place. 

5 hours ago, Le duke said:

I think PSU is going to have a hard time keeping Mirasola the Smaller out of the lineup if he wants to go. 

He's going to be really, really good. 

That said, I think if Kerkvliet comes back, both he and his brother take a RS.

I agree.... those kids are tough. PSU has several potential problems like that. 

Sponsored by INTERMAT ⭐⭐⭐⭐

On 4/15/2024 at 6:39 PM, ionel said:

There are  kind've loaded in the lower weights, don't you think rs? 

It would probably be a smart move to just rock with Hendrickson since he's proven to be serviceable. I do think Beric is better though. 

On 4/16/2024 at 1:21 PM, MPhillips said:

RS this year. 133 next year is my thought...

No chance Davino makes 125 and goes right away? Seems like that would really solidify top half of lineup (Davino, Bouzakis, Mendez, DD, Paddy). 

25 minutes ago, Ashebuckeye said:

No chance Davino makes 125 and goes right away?

I suppose it's possible... He's been at 132/60kg since 2023. I would imagine he's pulling a bit of weight to be there. 

Maybe Mendez RS's, Bouzakis moves up and Davino slots in at 33? 

7 hours ago, Ashebuckeye said:

No chance Davino makes 125 and goes right away? Seems like that would really solidify top half of lineup (Davino, Bouzakis, Mendez, DD, Paddy). 

6 hours ago, MPhillips said:

I suppose it's possible... He's been at 132/60kg since 2023. I would imagine he's pulling a bit of weight to be there. 

Maybe Mendez RS's, Bouzakis moves up and Davino slots in at 33? 

What the heck do you do with Kilkeary?  

I Don't Agree With What I Posted

Rune Lawerence will probably start right away at 197 for West Virginia, 4x Pa state champ 145-7 career record and should be an upgrade right off the bat 197 for WV

- Better hope he turns out better than his brother who is tragic.