John Smith retires

On 4/12/2024 at 1:34 AM, Lunaticfringe said:

My biggest question is WTF is the point of the term “Associate Head Coach” if you are not hired as head coach after the head coach leaves or retires?

It's kind of a "placeholder" title, from my understanding. A guy who is pegged to be the next HC, but isn't official yet. My bet is that OSU wants a higher profile name than Coleman Scott so they don't want to fully commit to him yet. I think he'll be a great coach. Of course I also thought that about Mark Cody at OU. 

8 hours ago, AgaveMaria said:

OSU looked better this past season than they have for some time.

And they only finished 10th at NCAAs. OSU has declined a lot since their last NCAA team title. 

8 hours ago, lisa morales said:

Coleman Scott is an uninspiring choice.  

He may be to outsiders but the people in Stoolwater love him. I have no doubt about Scott's wrestling chops but I wonder if he has the name recognition to pull down the big HS kids? He's from Pennsylvania and is sort of a HS legend there from my understanding, so I'm wondering if that'll help recruiting any? 

18 hours ago, AgaveMaria said:

He looked 80 years old and unhappy - even though only 4/5 years older than Tom & Terry.

Seriously. And he seems to have aged 20 years in the past 5. My wife and I have watch all the duals for the past decade~  and at the start of this season she was like "What happened to that guy? He's lookin rough."

Edited by jackwebster
  • Bob 1

1 hour ago, jackwebster said:

Seriously. And he seems to have aged 20 years in the past 5. My wife and I have watch all the duals for the past decade~  and at the start of this season she was like "What happened to that guy? He's lookin rough."

A Ferrari can do that to you. 

• Bob 3
  • Racing Family 1

2 hours ago, RYou said:

490 dual wins......I'm really surprised he didn't take one more year to pass that 500 win standard.

Are you sure it would only take him one more year? 

33 years is a hell of a run. Just think of all the changes in the sport over the last 33 years, some which arguably made the job of coaching much harder. From stylistic changes in wrestling to weight management, the RTC model, youth club system, AD changes, academic reporting, compliance, scholarship count, conference realignment, programs getting cut, pressers, social media, and now the transfer portal and NIL. 

The most exhausting to me would be recruiting. When ol' Johnnie started out, coaches would hit the recruiting trail and did their thing. Then came the internet & mobile phone age and fan hype over recruiting, kids building brands and verbaling/decommitting, new contact channels etc. which made the job a bit more complicated. Now with NIL and the portal coaches have to go out and recruit a new class of kids AND re-recruit their current guys to stay on for another year. I can't blame John Smith if he's had enough of that.

• Bob 1

18 hours ago, boconnell said:

Want to bet on whether they win 10 next year?

No. Because OSU will have a better coach next year but they won't have as much talent. Maybe they'll hang around the 10 level. 

4 hours ago, Hurricane Wrestling said:

That's certainly great experience, but your screen name will likely hurt your chances. 

Why would being called "hawkguy" hurt his chances since Iowa has been better than OSU for a long, long time? Seems that SHOULD help his chances, if anything. 

17 hours ago, CHROMEBIRD said:

33 years is a hell of a run. Just think of all the changes in the sport over the last 33 years, some which arguably made the job of coaching much harder. From stylistic changes in wrestling to weight management, the RTC model, youth club system, AD changes, academic reporting, compliance, scholarship count, conference realignment, programs getting cut, pressers, social media, and now the transfer portal and NIL. 

The most exhausting to me would be recruiting. When ol' Johnnie started out, coaches would hit the recruiting trail and did their thing. Then came the internet & mobile phone age and fan hype over recruiting, kids building brands and verbaling/decommitting, new contact channels etc. which made the job a bit more complicated. Now with NIL and the portal coaches have to go out and recruit a new class of kids AND re-recruit their current guys to stay on for another year. I can't blame John Smith if he's had enough of that.

33 years is too long in this case. In 2023 John Smith gave an interview on FLO where he stated "I almost retired after my last title in 2007, I don't know what made me hang around". Paraphrased, of course. So John basically admitted that after 2007 he had no motivation with that remark. I know why he hung around though, the paycheck. I don't blame him for doing it, but I blame OSU for keeping a guy around 16 years too long despite the team continuing to decline, and OSU has a tradition of doing that. Pat Jones came in as HC in football, had 2 or 3 great seasons, then OSU keep him around for many more years despite the 2-10 records and such Pat was cranking out. Pah. Look at John's coaching staff. Chris Perry was a great wrestler but now he's so fat he should be entering hot dog eating contests, not coaching. Maybe he rolls with the HWT in practice. Plus the kids today barely know who John Smith is (or rather, was). He's an old black/white photo on the wall to them. Nobody wants to wrestle for a memory, guys want to wrestle for a guy who can make them into a champ. When was the last time OSU had an individual NCAA champion? Dieringer about a decade ago?  

It's high time John got out of coaching and gave somebody with a little motivation the chance to do something at OSU.  He's a nice guy, I wish him the best in his retirement and hope to see him as a commentator in the future working with his brother, but as an old Cowboy fan I'm glad to see him go. 

53 minutes ago, NM1965 said:

No. Because OSU will have a better coach next year but they won't have as much talent. Maybe they'll hang around the 10 level. 

Nice dodge.  

They went 14-1 this year.  There is zero chance Smith wouldn't have won 10 duals.  You taking shots at him in retirement says a lot more about you than him.  

• Bob 1

On 4/13/2024 at 12:46 AM, NM1965 said:

He may be to outsiders but the people in Stoolwater love him. I have no doubt about Scott's wrestling chops but I wonder if he has the name recognition to pull down the big HS kids? He's from Pennsylvania and is sort of a HS legend there from my understanding, so I'm wondering if that'll help recruiting any? 

Coleman Scott is a high school and college wrestling legend. And he has an Olympic bronze medal. He is a great hire as interim and will be a great hire as head coach if they go that route. 

• Bob 2

18 hours ago, boconnell said:

Nice dodge.  

They went 14-1 this year.  There is zero chance Smith wouldn't have won 10 duals.  You taking shots at him in retirement says a lot more about you than him.  

Duals are fun and fans like them, but we both know they don't mean jack shit, especially since the coaches refuse to allow so many matches to happen to protect seeds. As for Smith, I didn't say anything about him that he didn't admit in that FLO interview last year. He should've retired 16 years ago by his own admission. You should jump John's ass for "taking shots" at himself. 

1 hour ago, NM1965 said:

Duals are fun and fans like them, but we both know they don't mean jack shit, especially since the coaches refuse to allow so many matches to happen to protect seeds. As for Smith, I didn't say anything about him that he didn't admit in that FLO interview last year. He should've retired 16 years ago by his own admission. You should jump John's ass for "taking shots" at himself. 

If duals don't matter than why were you yapping about how he wouldn't have won 10 duals?  You can't bring something up and then whine about how it doesn't matter after you're wrong.  

• Bob 1