CA's 20 Dollar Minimum wage already killing jobs and shuttering companies.

This whole conversation is moot.  AGI is just around the corner which will quickly be followed by ASI.  At that point we'll all be out of a job and for those of us that survive the civil unrest that follows we'll eventually be able to enjoy UBI. 

• Potato 1

I Don't Agree With What I Posted

12 hours ago, headshuck said:

If we pay $20 per hour to every person involved in the making of a Big Mac, the full supply chain, grain farmers, flour producers, bakers, livestock farmers, meat producers, vegetable farmers for lettuce tomatoes, sauces, transportation of ingredients, packaging of the final product…how much would it cost?

There are dozens of worker classes involved in the making of a “Big Mac” that must be furious at the liberal disruption of the chain at the retail labor end point.

“Oh but those big corporation billionaires!”

Great question. 

One option, offer people a minimum wage (other industries use the minimum wage too) high enough to afford the rising cost of living. 

Another, enact measures to control the cost of living and keep it reasonable for the poorest or for everyone so we don't feel the 'reverse racist-ed' of having a roof over our heads. 

A thought experiment, if these are the only options, which would you prefer? (don't say, 'neither' just to not answer. Its a hypothetical, you're not committing to anything)

Are there other options and what are or could they be? 

6 hours ago, ThreePointTakedown said:

Great question. 

One option, offer people a minimum wage (other industries use the minimum wage too) high enough to afford the rising cost of living.    Miniumum wage is not a living wage and was not meant to be.   Period. 

Another, enact measures to control the cost of living and keep it reasonable for the poorest or for everyone so we don't feel the 'reverse racist-ed' of having a roof over our heads.  If we keep raising wages, then prices will go up necessarily.   You can't have one without the other.   Of course this will all be the fault of the business owner who is going out of business because he can't sell $20 hamburgers.  

A thought experiment, if these are the only options, which would you prefer? (don't say, 'neither' just to not answer. Its a hypothetical, you're not committing to anything)

Are there other options and what are or could they be? 

If people are willing to pay higher prices for their fast food etc, then so be it.    If not, then those business owners lose their business and wonder of all wonders, the workers lose their jobs.   Now they make $0/hour. 

mspart

• Bob 2

10 minutes ago, mspart said:

If people are willing to pay higher prices for their fast food etc, then so be it.    If not, then those business owners lose their business and wonder of all wonders, the workers lose their jobs.   Now they make $0/hour. 

mspart

$0/hr with experience and skills in burger flippin.  Lots of options.  Looooooots of options. 

13 minutes ago, WrestlingRasta said:

$0/hr with experience and skills in burger flippin.  Lots of options.  Looooooots of options. 

$20 an hour is going to cost the employer maybe $60k per year.  Can he cover his costs?

12 minutes ago, Ohio Elite said:

I'll see you there...

Don't visit this part of the intermat forum often but I'm surprised I couldn't find anything on AI.  @ThreePointTakedown, @Husker_Du, @JimmyBT etc etc in the near future the concept of minimum wage won't exist.  The concept of a wage will cease to exist.  Our brightest minds at the moment  don't even have a concept of any economic structure/model for the eventual takeover of ASI (which will happen sooner than you think).  ASI is a far more pressing issue 

Edited by PortaJohn
  • Bob 1

I Don't Agree With What I Posted

2 hours ago, PortaJohn said:

Don't visit this part of the intermat forum often but I'm surprised I couldn't find anything on AI.  @ThreePointTakedown, @Husker_Du, @JimmyBT etc etc in the near future the concept of minimum wage won't exist.  The concept of a wage will cease to exist.  Our brightest minds at the moment  don't even have a concept of any economic structure/model for the eventual takeover of ASI (which will happen sooner than you think).  ASI is a far more pressing issue 

What is sooner than I think?

19 hours ago, mspart said:

mspart

interesting phrasing. How do you define 'willing'? 

On 4/23/2024 at 5:36 AM, ThreePointTakedown said:

One option, offer people a minimum wage (other industries use the minimum wage too) high enough to afford the rising cost of living. 

higher minimum wage cause inflation which causes 'rising cost of living'

On 4/23/2024 at 5:36 AM, ThreePointTakedown said:

Another, enact measures to control the cost of living and keep it reasonable for the poorest or for everyone so we don't feel the 'reverse racist-ed' of having a roof over our heads. 

The Biden admin has done wonders in that department.

TBD

8 hours ago, Husker_Du said:

you know that Biden is the current president right?

and you know that inflation is through the roof, right?

if the answer to those are 'yes,' i don't understand your question/confusion.

What is the current inflation rate? 

I have it at 3.5%, down considerably from previous years.

Also, inflation isn't like putting a hammer to a nail. What influences inflation are things that happen, sometimes years before the rate actually spikes. 

You still have not made your point or provided evidence to support an opinion. Just saying two things, one of which is open to interpretation, does not a point make. 

2 hours ago, ThreePointTakedown said:

Also, inflation isn't like putting a hammer to a nail. What influences inflation are things that happen, sometimes years before the rate actually spikes. 

You still have not made your point or provided evidence to support an opinion. Just saying two things, one of which is open to interpretation, does not a point make. 

Larry Summers recently explained that if inflation was still calculated the same way it was in the ‘70s, it would be double what is reported. 

3 hours ago, ThreePointTakedown said:

i almost included in my previous post '...and please don't use those current inflation numbers that remove housing, transportation, and food'

but i didn't think anyone would.

silly me. 

• Brain 2

TBD

1 hour ago, Husker_Du said:

i almost included in my previous post '...and please don't use those current inflation numbers that remove housing, transportation, and food'

but i didn't think anyone would.

silly me. 

One of the differences Summers pointed out in the inflation calculation is that in the ‘70s and ‘80s was that they included the interest on house and auto payments, now they don’t.  Just like the job numbers, the GDP estimates, virtually everything the government puts out is smoke and mirrors.