Welcome Back from a year off (excluding freshman redshirts)

So many of these guys from Illinois

125: Ramazan Attausauov, Illinois / Markel Baker, George Mason

133: Lucas Byrd, Illinois

141: Andrew Alirez, Northern Colorado / Frankie Tal-Shahar, Northwestern

149: Colin Realbuto, Northern Iowa

157: Cobe Siebrecht, Iowa

165: Danny Braunagel, Illinois

174: Josh Ogunsanya, North Carolina / Alex Facundo, Penn State / Darrien Roberts, Morgan State

184: Nelson Brands, Iowa / DeAnthony Parker, Oklahoma

197: Zach Braunagel, Illinois / Braxton Amos, Wisconsin

285: Jacob Bullock, Indiana

Edited by flyingcement
  • Brain 1
  • Fire 1

18 minutes ago, flyingcement said:

174: Josh Ogunsanya, North Carolina / Alex Facundo, Penn State / Darrien Roberts, Morgan State

Pretty sure Amos will be at heavyweight 

Just now, Antitroll2828 said:

Pretty sure Amos will be at heavyweight 

I wanted to put him there and originally did, but I'll let him make the announcement lol.  I probably should have just put him there.  Also I was going to add Olivieri but my fifteen minutes were up

2 hours ago, flyingcement said:

I wanted to put him there and originally did, but I'll let him make the announcement lol.  I probably should have just put him there.  Also I was going to add Olivieri but my fifteen minutes were up

He's like 5'10. I don't see this going particularly well. Wrestling Greco(which I'm NOT looking to get into a new argument over, it's a great style, but it doesn't translate nearly as well to Freestyle). 

4 hours ago, scourge165 said:

He's like 5'10. I don't see this going particularly well. Wrestling Greco(which I'm NOT looking to get into a new argument over, it's a great style, but it doesn't translate nearly as well to Freestyle). 

I would think that it translates over better at heavy than any other weight.  There are a lot of dancing bears with little to no actual upper body skills.

• Bob 1

"I know actually nothing.  It isn't even conjecture at this point." - me

Agree completely, greco skills are best suited for HWT.   Let's also not forget that Amos has had recent freestyle success as well, sometimes competing in both free & greco and winning both. 

I like his prospects better at HWT, even if a bit undersized.

• Bob 1

5 hours ago, nhs67 said:

I would think that it translates over better at heavy than any other weight.  There are a lot of dancing bears with little to no actual upper body skills.

From a Greco standpoint.  What happens when the international people get their way and get a pushout in folkstyle.   Will people partially train more in Greco for easier points?

45 minutes ago, Caveira said:

From a Greco standpoint.  What happens when the international people get their way and get a pushout in folkstyle.   Will people partially train more in Greco for easier points?

What do you mean?

7 minutes ago, Caveira said:

Will people add Greco training to their arsenal to get better at push outs 

Pushouts in MGR =/= pushouts in MFS.

Different styles.

It is a matter of physics as to why it helps more at HWT.  It sucks being under fat guys, so HWTs shoot less.

4 hours ago, acrooks26 said:

Paniro Johnson at Iowa State is coming back, not sure if it will be 149/157, probably an instant contender for AA honors if not a natty.

Echemendia said he is moving up.  I wonder if they redshirt both Swiderski and Chittum.  I can't see any of that group up at 165.

21 hours ago, nhs67 said:

Pushouts in MGR =/= pushouts in MFS.

Different styles.

It is a matter of physics as to why it helps more at HWT.  It sucks being under fat guys, so HWTs shoot less.

I approve this message!

On 4/8/2024 at 5:38 AM, nhs67 said:

It may...but he's a small HWT and he was supposed to be a blue chip recruit. People were talking about him winning a title as a Freshmen. 

Also...there are a lot of "dancing Bears," but the elite HWTs can move and I was talking more about becoming an All-American. Yonger Bastida, Kerkvliet, Elam, Trumble...and I'm not going to keep thinking of athletic HWTs as there are a LOT more.

• Bob 1

1 hour ago, scourge165 said:

It may...but he's a small HWT and he was supposed to be a blue chip recruit. People were talking about him winning a title as a Freshmen. 

Also...there are a lot of "dancing Bears," but the elite HWTs can move and I was talking more about becoming an All-American. Yonger Bastida, Kerkvliet, Elam, Trumble...and I'm not going to keep thinking of athletic HWTs as there are a LOT more.

You have valid points.  I expect him to be right in there once he is back on the mat.

97 KG is is him, so I think he will get right up to the 230-235lb range.

• Bob 1

On 4/7/2024 at 11:38 PM, flyingcement said:

Mike O’Malley will be back at Drexel for his super sr year, he took an inj RS this season but was R12 2 years a few years back losing 5-2 to Kemmerer and was NQ the next season but hurt his shoulder late in the year and flamed out at Eiwa and ncaas , over a full year to recover he could be an AA threat , he’s another guy Bergen county guy that’s like 10-0 in his career against Foca 

5 minutes ago, Antitroll2828 said:

Mike O’Malley will be back at Drexel for his super sr year, he took an inj RS this season but was R12 2 years a few years back losing 5-2 to Kemmerer and was NQ the next season but hurt his shoulder late in the year and flamed out at Eiwa and ncaas , over a full year to recover he could be an AA threat , he’s another guy Bergen county guy that’s like 10-0 in his career against Foca 

Will he be back? That's great news.  He wasn't on the roster I had seen.  

44 minutes ago, Antitroll2828 said:

We thinking 174 or 184?

17 hours ago, nhs67 said:

We thinking 174 or 184?

18 hours ago, flyingcement said:

Will he be back? That's great news.  He wasn't on the roster I had seen.  

I heard during the season he was getting healthy and was planning on using his last season and he was listed on last years roster as a graduate student and inj RS . I figured he’d make one more run of it but I can’t much info on him at the moment, I’m gonna do some digging 

• Bob 2

11 minutes ago, Antitroll2828 said:

I heard during the season he was getting healthy and was planning on using his last season and he was listed on last years roster as a graduate student and inj RS . I figured he’d make one more run of it but I can’t much info on him at the moment, I’m gonna do some digging 

Always a dangerous wrestler.  Would be great to see him back

16 minutes ago, flyingcement said:

Always a dangerous wrestler.  Would be great to see him back

Agreed , I became a fan when he was in high school during those years when Bergen catholic had about 10-12 D1 wrestlers in the lineup and him just a tiny group 1 school kid and he would wrestle Griffith tough and beat foca like 4x in one season , guy is a real competitor 

• Bob 1

On 4/9/2024 at 8:51 PM, flyingcement said:

I accidentally ommitted quite a few.

Matty Singleton and Isaac Trumble, NC State

Sean Logue, Lock Haven

both the NC state guys I expect to do serious damage next year, for all the talk about Gabe Arnold Matty singleton beat him in straight matches at junior trials. I know thats freestyle but given nc states history of developing guys and 174 clearing out I think he is definitely an AA threat and could potentially land highly on the podium. Trumble is always super dangerous and while it seems he may just be better at freestyle I expect him to push to AA at heavy or 197 whichever he chooses to go.

On 4/7/2024 at 9:38 PM, flyingcement said:

141:  Emilio Ysaguirre, Arizona State

165: Luka Wick, Cal Poly

• Bob 1