Mercyhurst Going D1

Nice.... I love this... but with hesitiation....do they end up like a lot of others that go D1 then get axed or sent back to middle school? 

• Bob 1
  • Brain 1

Sponsored by INTERMAT ⭐⭐⭐⭐

5 minutes ago, Idaho said:

Nice.... I love this... but with hesitiation....do they end up like a lot of others that go D1 then get axed or sent back to middle school? 

It doesn't look like they have a conference for wrestling...sad. 

1 hour ago, Idaho said:

I think we're all holding our breath on this aspect of it.

6 hours ago, Idaho said:

Hopefully, with them being in PA, they're able to recruit better than other schools who've made this jump then got dumped not long after. 

• Fire 1
  • Potato 1

16 hours ago, TNwrestling said:

Hopefully, with them being in PA, they're able to recruit better than other schools who've made this jump then got dumped not long after. 

I agree.... there are plenty of good kids in the East that could improve the roster. 

• Bob 2

Sponsored by INTERMAT ⭐⭐⭐⭐

I hope it works for them. Mike Wehler seems like a really good dude.

However, with them being a Catholic University, what is the cost for a school to move from Division II to Division I?

Mercyhurst has an enrollment of somewhere between 2,500 to 4,500 (the data isn't clear), and with an all-in cost of just south of $60,000 a year (this year), and an endowment of around $40 million, they may have to look at "trimming the fat."

• Bob 1

Aren't they a D3 school? Do they offer scholarships at all? If not, would if, that, or how they fund scholarships even make sense? 

The school’s athletics department is going from D2 to D1. Yes, they have been offering scholarships.
  • Bob 1

Insert catchy tagline here. 

13 hours ago, Tom formerly Tofurky said:

I hope it works for them. Mike Wehler seems like a really good dude.

However, with them being a Catholic University, what is the cost for a school to move from Division II to Division I?

Mercyhurst has an enrollment of somewhere between 2,500 to 4,500 (the data isn't clear), and with an all-in cost of just south of $60,000 a year (this year), and an endowment of around $40 million, they may have to look at "trimming the fat."

I’m biased, but they can remove 2 men rowing teams, a women’s rowing team, men+ women’s water polo, and women’s bowling before they start to look at wrestling.

• Fire 1