RBY - is this real?

1 hour ago, jackwebster said:

Fwiw

Relative Age Effect: Beyond the Youth Phenomenon - PMC
https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC7692010/

That really doesn't answer the question at all since the study focus on the overall RAE and not kids who were held back after already achieving a high level of success, which was my question you responded to. 

Now if we are talking about holding back kindergartners so they graduate at 19, then the data would suggest that will lead to a greater level of success, but I don't see how holding back a high level of 8th grader, already likely to be a D1 recruit will matter all. 

19 minutes ago, Bigbrog said:

So who was "hurt" by this "illegal" activity??  Did it harm RBY as a child?  Did it teach him to not work hard and achieve his goals?  Did he not get an education?  Just truly trying to see how you feel this is such a grievous act.

It hurts the kids who don't game the system. And it is illegal to not give a child any form of required education in Arizona, no need to keep using quotations. 

For RBY's situation, it obviously played out okay for him as he's a successful wrestler, but having no education for an entire year is obviously not good in his formative years. Allowing him to do nothing besides go to wrestling practice and become addicted to video games, to the point where he is playing them until 5am every single night, is obviously not great for a kid. Explain to me how it is good for his development besides being stronger than his younger peers. 

• Bob 1

11 minutes ago, Dogbone said:

That really doesn't answer the question at all since the study focus on the overall RAE and not kids who were held back after already achieving a high level of success, which was my question you responded to. 

Now if we are talking about holding back kindergartners so they graduate at 19, then the data would suggest that will lead to a greater level of success, but I don't see how holding back a high level of 8th grader, already likely to be a D1 recruit will matter all. 

Fair enough

1 hour ago, JimmyCinnabon said:

My brother did not wrestle his sophomore year of high school because he was too small. He wrestled junior high in 9th grade at 70lbs. He went something like 24-0 and won his section. The next year as a sophomore he was too small to wrestle 103lbs. He literally could not gain enough weight to meet the minimum. And then his junior year he would have to drink tons of water in order to be able to get up to required lowest weight allowed to wrestle 103lbs. Even as a senior he did not have to cut weight to wrestle 103lbs. He is 44 years old and to this day is still 115lbs soaking wet at 5'6". 

If my brother had the choice to repeat a year in order to get bigger so he could wrestle he would have laughed in the face of anyone who would suggest it. There was a zero percent chance he was going to leave his all of his friends in his grade behind to wrestle. Of course my brother was not a world class talent so maybe the would have changed things.

I also graduated with someone who was too light to wrestle his Fr year and wrestled 103 his Sr year.  We never thought about redshirting in 8th grade , in part because we weren't good enough to ever wrestle at a high level but also even if he would of finished with a state title instead of 3rd place his Sr year, I can't imagine his life would of turned out different.  Plus he would of had to be in school another year.

I doubt RBY would of been different either.  Heck, he would of been out of eligibility before Vito went on a tear and would of finished as a national champ his senior year otherwise about the same.

I just don't think it matters that much.

3 minutes ago, Dogbone said:

I also graduated with someone who was too light to wrestle his Fr year and wrestled 103 his Sr year.  We never thought about redshirting in 8th grade , in part because we weren't good enough to ever wrestle at a high level but also even if he would of finished with a state title instead of 3rd place his Sr year, I can't imagine his life would of turned out different.  Plus he would of had to be in school another year.

I doubt RBY would of been different either.  Heck, he would of been out of eligibility before Vito went on a tear and would of finished as a national champ his senior year otherwise about the same.

I just don't think it matters that much.

Being a state champion certainly helps your odds of getting a college scholarship over somebody who gets 3rd place as a senior. 

1 hour ago, JimmyCinnabon said:

My brother did not wrestle his sophomore year of high school because he was too small. He wrestled junior high in 9th grade at 70lbs. He went something like 24-0 and won his section. The next year as a sophomore he was too small to wrestle 103lbs. He literally could not gain enough weight to meet the minimum. And then his junior year he would have to drink tons of water in order to be able to get up to required lowest weight allowed to wrestle 103lbs. Even as a senior he did not have to cut weight to wrestle 103lbs. He is 44 years old and to this day is still 115lbs soaking wet at 5'6". 

If my brother had the choice to repeat a year in order to get bigger so he could wrestle he would have laughed in the face of anyone who would suggest it. There was a zero percent chance he was going to leave his all of his friends in his grade behind to wrestle. Of course my brother was not a world class talent so maybe the would have changed things.

Somehow I missed this post earlier but better late than never to say thank you for sharing this. Anything from the heart like your message is well received I’m sure by multitudes of fans throughout the nation. 

2 minutes ago, pokemonster said:

Being a state champion certainly helps your odds of getting a college scholarship over somebody who gets 3rd place as a senior. 

Not at 103 it doesn't. He probably wasn't finishing college even if he had a partial scholarship to a NAIA or D3 school anyway.

9 minutes ago, Dogbone said:

Not at 103 it doesn't. He probably wasn't finishing college even if he had a partial scholarship to a NAIA or D3 school anyway.

Good point, didn't notice the weight was only 103. I do think it vastly improves your chances of a scholarship at other weights though. 

• Fire 1

48 minutes ago, Rassling said:

Somehow I missed this post earlier but better late than never to say thank you for sharing this. Anything from the heart like your message is well received I’m sure by multitudes of fans throughout the nation. 

I am just one guy doing my part.

• Bob 1

1 hour ago, Bigbrog said:

What was illegal?  Are you saying me not putting my child in kindergarten when he was 5 and waited until he was 6 is illegal?  You know what is best for every kid and know better than their parents??  Dude...YOU get a grip

Pretty sure not going to school for a full year at that age is illegal.    Letting your 11/12/13 year old kid video game all night is not remotely near what would be considered good parenting.   If the parents worked who was watching him?   Who lets their kid play video games all night.   Completely irresponsible.  

2 minutes ago, Caveira said:

Pretty sure not going to school for a full year at that age is illegal.    Letting your 11/12/13 year old kid video game all night is not remotely near what would be considered good parenting.   If the parents worked who was watching him?   Who lets their kid play video games all night.   Completely irresponsible.  

The video openly discusses the problems in the home. 

2 hours ago, JimmyCinnabon said:

Not a World Class talent?  Would've never guessed that. 

This is relevant and speaks to the crazy tactics parents will take.   Sad overall.  It isn’t needed … at all.   Impacts the kid’s social circle.   Makes a clear point that learning things outside of wrestling is not the priority (play games and wrestle).  Delays the kid’s entry into the money making world when, for the large majority of them, they don’t become a world championship level wrestler.  Completely warped.  

And yes, it does put an asterisk next to their accomplishments.  If you disagree, I suppose taking 3 years off from middle school would be fine by you as well.

• Fire 1

This is the most common way that kids get their extra year in so that they don't lose HS eligibility... stay in 8th grade twice. Go to a charter in 8th grade, then move to public and stay in 8th grade (or vice versa) and claim "they need an extra year academically." You can also stay in 8th grade then "homeschool" for a year before entering high school. Lots of ways to stay back in middle school an extra year. It's been going on a long time. And no...19 is not the normal age to graduate. 

• Bob 1

Sponsored by INTERMAT ⭐⭐⭐⭐

2 hours ago, Idaho said:

This is the most common way that kids get their extra year in so that they don't lose HS eligibility... stay in 8th grade twice. Go to a charter in 8th grade, then move to public and stay in 8th grade (or vice versa) and claim "they need an extra year academically." You can also stay in 8th grade then "homeschool" for a year before entering high school. Lots of ways to stay back in middle school an extra year. It's been going on a long time. And no...19 is not the normal age to graduate. 

Both Lance and Collin Palmer begrudingly did it. But i think they repeated 6th grade instead. Some of the wrestlers currently at Faith Christian Academy did it as well.

Edited by BIGTENFANBOY
  • Potato 1

9 hours ago, Jimmy Cinnabon said:

I mean I'm sure RBY is crying himself to sleep every night due to the shame...

This whole thread Is a bunch of cavemen excusing this stupid behavior i don't care if it's common. It's cowardice. Straight up. I don't care if he won multiple titles it's shameful. Did that year really help him in any way? It's pathetic. It's pathetic for kolat, rby, the new hot stud whose name I'm blanking on because I'm frustrated. If you are competent to move on and do the work and choose not to do so for a sports advantage you are being a b word. I don't care if they could beat my 34 year old butt in middle school. It needs to stop and all you old heads saying it's fine are embarassing.embarrassing.

Edit. Before someone goes off about kolats story. I know guys bad example.

Edited by forkemaz
  • Bob 1
  • Fire 1

8 hours ago, Dogbone said:

Exactly what we did with our son.  He started kindergarten late and will turn 19 in April of his senior year.  It actually turned out to be a good thing for us already. Although he is one the oldest kids in his 5th grade class, he is still the smallest boy.

Edited by lu_alum
  • Bob 1

12 hours ago, Caveira said:

This doesn't bother me at all. I did eighth grade a year early because my father wanted me to be a rich productive member of society a year early; I entered high school at 60 pounds and wrestled with a 28 to 30 pound deficit freshman and soph year, and a 8 pound deficit Junior year. I also was the last of my friends to party at the college bars! Senior year I kicked some butt- weighed 5 to 10 pounds over 103 each week. Wrestling underweight stunts your development.

• Bob 1

15 hours ago, Bigbrog said:

What was illegal?  Are you saying me not putting my child in kindergarten when he was 5 and waited until he was 6 is illegal?  You know what is best for every kid and know better than their parents??  Dude...YOU get a grip

Delaying kindergarten by a year by doing another year of preschool, and delaying your HS freshman year by a year to do nothing but train and play video games, are apples and oranges.

Delaying kindergarten is very common and there is nothing illegal about it, although it is an example of privilege.

i know repeating 8th grade for athletes is somewhat common, but I was not aware it was common for kids to do nothing but train and play video games during that year.  In my area the kids that repeated 8th grade usually went to private school though (another example of privilege I guess), because I imagine the public schools weren’t on board with holding back a kid that was ready for HS. 

• Fire 1

Not sure why this came up, it is not a new story whatsoever.

It worked out for RBY and Nickal, but totally inappropriate to do to a kid socially and academically.  Both RBY and Nickal had great careers and are continuing to do so.  I'm an educator, I have a bit of knowledge on this stuff.  I would imagine that most kids who were to go through a similar process would be negatively impacted.  "Summer learning loss" is a big thing, especially in disadvantaged communities.  This was turning summer learning loss into an entire, year ... actually probably 14 months.  They also probably learned a couple bad lessons about playing by societal rules and being responsible.

Sometimes people commit crimes and there is no obvious damage to anyone.  I'm glad it worked out for these two, or seems to have.  I wouldn't suggest other go through a similar process.  I am more open to repeating a year and actually receiving socialization and education.

• Bob 1

5 hours ago, Interviewed_at_Weehawken said:

Sometimes people commit crimes and there is no obvious damage to anyone.  I'm glad it worked out for these two, or seems to have.  I wouldn't suggest other go through a similar process.  I am more open to repeating a year and actually receiving socialization and education.

100%