RBY - is this real?

Bo Nickal said he was held back and literally sat around by himself playing video games and going to wrestling practice for an entire year. Nothing like a redshirt year during middle school to make sure you have a leg up on the competition! It's extremely common, so I bet it is true. 

great example of Flo having no idea what they don't know wrestling and have no idea what they're going for as a platform...

Edited by Hammerlock3

"Half measures are a coward's form of insanity."

3 minutes ago, pokemonster said:

Bo Nickal said he was held back and literally sat around by himself playing video games and going to wrestling practice for an entire year. Nothing like a redshirt year during middle school to make sure you have a leg up on the competition! It's extremely common, so I bet it is true. 

Didn't RBY basically say the same? 

1 minute ago, ionel said:

Didn't RBY basically say the same? 

I just watched the video on Flo's website (linked in my post above this one) and he did say that. Seems completely irresponsible of the parents, but damn I would've loved doing that as a kid. 

1 minute ago, pokemonster said:

I just watched the video on Flo's website (linked in my post above this one) and he did say that. Seems completely irresponsible of the parents, but damn I would've loved doing that as a kid. 

and the school

• Fire 1

1 minute ago, Rassling said:

And this story is relevant, how? Digging deep into a man’s past then posting it for the world to see. Isnt that just nice.

There's a bunch of debate going on right now in the Twitter-sphere (or X-sphere?) about kids being held back as well as competing too long in college. Mineo, Willie, and plenty of others are chiming in. 

• Bob 1

1 minute ago, pokemonster said:

My bad, to be fair it was a little confusing. But, sounds like this is totally true. 

To explain briefly, and maybe you'll disagree with this sentiment which is fine, they are making a headline out of something incredibly common, so unwittingly looking kinda dumb imho. Additionally, the headline comes off as if its a hit piece, and we all know Flo isn't going to go negative on anyone they want an interview from unless they are simply reposting factual information conveyed by others. So I think the headline comes off completely different than what they intended. I think what happened is someone was supposed to promote a rather boring movie and ran with what they thought was the most interesting part.

• Fire 1

6 minutes ago, Rassling said:

And this story is relevant, how? Digging deep into a man’s past then posting it for the world to see. Isnt that just nice.

Just to repeat what I just said, I don't that was the intent. I think someone who doesn't know wrestling was charged with promoting the movie and ran with what they thought was interesting.

When many kids are held back they are done so under the guise of being "home schooled." If they are in a normal school they will promote them to the next grade almost every time because they are academically proficient to advance a grade level.

So thus, most of these kids don't do anything during their middle school redshirt year.

19 minutes ago, BobDole said:

When many kids are held back they are done so under the guise of being "home schooled." If they are in a normal school they will promote them to the next grade almost every time because they are academically proficient to advance a grade level.

So thus, most of these kids don't do anything during their middle school redshirt year.

Is it really that common for holdbacks to not do any schooling though?

39 minutes ago, Rassling said:

Did they dig into the past or did he say words for them on a video?

that seems like criminal behavior on the parents though.  To small for 106.  Wow.  

For the record I didn’t see the vid before posting the link.   I thought it was click bait nonsense especially that very poorly written headline.   

• Fire 1

are people having issue with the playing video games for a year part or the idea of repeating 8th grade? The 8th grade repeat is increasingly common and goes at least as far back as Cary Kolat. 

I guess I don't get the purpose for these high level guys.  I suppose if you want to win a state title as a 19 yo, I can see the advantage but does it really matter once guys are 20 year olds or to guys who are competing in age level national tournaments?

I think Bo Basset delayed his HS after he won a Cadet World Gold. Now he is competing in college opens and at the Last Chance qualifier.    Dude was going get recruiting to D1 regardless so I don't understand why he delayed entering HS.  Maybe he will reclassify?

For the record, I don't care if someone repeats 8th grade, I just don't see the advantage, but I am sure I am missing something.

My brother did not wrestle his sophomore year of high school because he was too small. He wrestled junior high in 9th grade at 70lbs. He went something like 24-0 and won his section. The next year as a sophomore he was too small to wrestle 103lbs. He literally could not gain enough weight to meet the minimum. And then his junior year he would have to drink tons of water in order to be able to get up to required lowest weight allowed to wrestle 103lbs. Even as a senior he did not have to cut weight to wrestle 103lbs. He is 44 years old and to this day is still 115lbs soaking wet at 5'6". 

If my brother had the choice to repeat a year in order to get bigger so he could wrestle he would have laughed in the face of anyone who would suggest it. There was a zero percent chance he was going to leave his all of his friends in his grade behind to wrestle. Of course my brother was not a world class talent so maybe the would have changed things.