Dead Horse Abuse: Fix

I'm not done talking about this, and my wife and kids are still getting up. So, here goes...

First, a disclaimer: While I have been an OSU fan all of my life (a legacy case), I stan with Ragusin. John Smith worries about the refs and intricacies of skirting the rules way too much. He did it as an athlete, and he does it as a coach. I imagine it was a part of Cowboy wrestling culture when he got there, and he has carried on the tradition. This preoccupation wins some matches (Fix vs Suriano part 1) and loses some matches (Fix vs Suriano part 2). I can't say if it leads to more wins than loses, but it does leave me with a bad taste in my mouth either way. It just seems that  constantly trying to game the system is bad juju. 

But last night, what other options did they have? Every time Fix moved forward or even thought about initiating action, he got burned. The only time he got close to scoring was in the scramble on the edge, a scramble initiated by Vito's attack. If you know you're outmatched going in -- like the dude's got more physical and technical tools in every position -- do you just concede? Or do you do try to stall, bitch, and brick your way to victory? 

Edited by jackwebster
  • Bob 1
  • Brain 1

Plenty of guys like Fix who have been top competitors but just did not get the breaks to finish on top.  Only thing worse than 4x NCAA finalist w no crown is Never making an NCAA finals.  That’s a long list of very good wrestlers as well.

as to Smith, it is a little sad.  Doesn’t Fix have the right to withdraw the brick?  He did not as he knew he was not going to beat Vito by mixing it up w him.  Probably true of almost every wrestler in the world when Vito is healthy.

Edited by Elevator
  • Bob 1

1 hour ago, jackwebster said:

I'm not done talking about this, and my wife and kids are still getting up. So, here goes...

First, a disclaimer: While I have been an OSU fan all of my life (a legacy case), I stan with Ragusin. John Smith worries about the refs and intricacies of skirting the rules way too much. He did it as an athlete, and he does it as a coach. I imagine it was a part of Cowboy wrestling culture when he got there, and he has carried on the tradition. This preoccupation wins some matches (Fix vs Suriano part 1) and loses some matches (Fix vs Suriano part 2). I can't say if it leads to more wins than loses, but it does leave me with a bad taste in my mouth either way. It just seems that  constantly trying to game the system is bad juju. 

But last night, what other options did they have? Every time Fix moved forward or even thought about initiating action, he got burned. The only time he got close to scoring was in the scramble on the edge, a scramble initiated by Vito's attack. If you know you're outmatched going in -- like the dude's got more physical and technical tools in every position -- do you just concede? Or do you do try to stall, bitch, and brick your way to victory? 

knowing the rules is very important.

I mean how does cael win so many challenges?

1 hour ago, Rassling said:

I’m looking forward to who they replace him with. 

Coleman Scott 

why else would a successful head coach leave North Carolina to be an Associate Head Coach at OkState.

I always assumed it would be Mark Branch.

• Bob 1

Not to worry, Tom Brands is accepting that Iowa is a perennial 2nd placer and as such is hiring Dayton Fix as his top Assistant Coach since he has so much experience in that position.

” Never attribute to inspiration that which can be adequately explained by delusion”.

45 minutes ago, Idaho said:

Not a big Fix fan...but this is a good post match interview. 

I like Fix. He’s very respectable and a good man. After the big 12 tournament last year I watched him take time to talk to every kid that approached him, take pictures, sign autographs, etc. 

• Bob 1

3 hours ago, Dark Energy said:

He is an outstanding wrestler.  OUTSTANDING.  That said, simply don’t want to watch him against other great wrestlers.  Boring.

100%

He's a FS guy without any reliable attack in a folkstyle match.  He wrestles sumo in FS.  He pushes guys and then scores when they push back.  Slide bys and snaps and par terre turns.   He is so good at that stuff that it's assumed he has folkstyle offense he's choosing not to use.  He doesn't.  Last night is who he is.  7 years of college somehow didn't change his inability to shoot and score.  

• Bob 4

6 hours ago, Scouts Honor said:

knowing the rules is very important.

I mean how does cael win so many challenges?

him and the other top coaches are on the phone with the head official pretty often, I actually think it contributes to a lot of confusion with coaches behavior, most know what the refs are being told to emphasize.

I also think he wins challenges because he good cop bad cops it with cunningham.

"Half measures are a coward's form of insanity."

Just watched a USA Wrestling  video of Fix after the final on You Tube and I have to say my human side has no other choice but to place myself in his shoes.

In fact and check out the other videos on their site of all the other wrestlers. Richie Fig was especially impactful to me.

I think the thing that bothers me about Fix's 7 years at OSU and his 2-2-2-4-2 finishes is this: he NEVER improved at OSU. Not one whit. You could even argue he was a better wrestler as a FR than as an upperclassman. How does a guy spend 7 years in a D1 room and not improve one iota?

John Smith and his coaching staff let Fix down. They failed him, and Fix was age level world champ before getting to OSU as far as I remember. If Fix had gone to Iowa, PSU, or Ohio State it's almost guaranteed he'd have won a title or two (maybe more). 

John Smith has to go. 

1 minute ago, NM1965 said:

I think the thing that bothers me about Fix's 7 years at OSU and his 2-2-2-4-2 finishes is this: he NEVER improved at OSU. Not one whit. You could even argue he was a better wrestler as a FR than as an upperclassman. How does a guy spend 7 years in a D1 room and not improve one iota?

John Smith and his coaching staff let Fix down. They failed him, and Fix was age level world champ before getting to OSU as far as I remember. If Fix had gone to Iowa, PSU, or Ohio State it's almost guaranteed he'd have won a title or two (maybe more). 

John Smith has to go. 

Definitely agree he was best as a freshman. 

• Bob 1