Session 6 - Championship Finals Saturday March 23 2024

9 minutes ago, VakAttack said:

That's an additional data point, but still wouldn't change my opinion.  I think it's a relevant thing to discuss.

It's not. You're there to announce the event and push the product not yourself which he did several times over the weekend. And he dressed down. He's unprofessional as hell.

3 minutes ago, PortaJohn said:

Was that in the post match?  That adds an extra layer to this spat between the two 

Nickal has his first main card fight coming up in three weeks, he's just trying to grow his follower base ahead of the UFC card. 

To be a long-term main card fighter in the UFC, you're basically required to learn how to talk shit and get in fake social media fights as part of the marketing for the event.  

• Brain 1
  • Clown 1

Just now, forkemaz said:

It's not. You're there to announce the event and push the product not yourself which he did several times over the weekend. And he dressed down. He's unprofessional as hell.

If that was what he was there for, they could have put anybody in there for cheaper.  They put those guys in there for who they are.

• Poopy 1

14 minutes ago, PortaJohn said:

Was that in the post match?  That adds an extra layer to this spat between the two 

It was after after Storacci finishes his post match interview where he decided not to disclose the injury. JB said “he knows a guy that will be there in April” and  “I would go right after that injury”.  Guessing that was not the tact Nickal expected after someone just won his 4th title while injured.  JB did go on the praise him for battle hard to win the title, but I think the prior comment lingered.

Edited by MadMardigain
  • Bob 1
  • Fire 1

1 minute ago, MadMardigain said:

It was after after Storacci finishes his post match interview where he divided not to disclose the injury. JB said “he knows a guy that will be there in April” and  “I would go right after that injury”.  Guessing that was not the tact Nickal expected after someone just won his 4th title while injured.  

This too.  JB is competitive to a fault, DC was trying to have fun and be jovial, but JB is just such an aggressive competitor, he didn't really fill the role of great broadcast partner.  I still think David Taylor would have been perfect in there instead of JB.  He did such a good job on the event he covered earlier this season.  

Edited by wrestle87
  • Fire 2

1 minute ago, MadMardigain said:

It was after after Storacci finishes his post match interview where he divided not to disclose the injury. JB said “he knows a guy that will be there in April” and  “I would go right after that injury”.  Guessing that was not the tact Nickal expected after someone just won his 4th title while injured.  

Makes a lot more sense now.  

I Don't Agree With What I Posted

Just now, wrestle87 said:

This too.  JB is competitive to a fault, DC was trying to have fun and be jovial, but JB is just such an aggressive competitor, he didn't really fill the role of great broadcast partner.  I still think David Taylor would have been perfect in there instead of JB.  He did such a good job on the event he covered earlier this season.  

I agree with this.  I like JB as a commentator but he could tone it down talking about JB

• Bob 1

I Don't Agree With What I Posted

1 hour ago, Eagle26 said:

Few things more pathetic than attacking someone for their religious beliefs anonymously on the internet 

ok this is hard to keep straight, lemme see if I've got it...if they're professing a left wing political position then they need to shut up, but if they're professing evangelical religious beliefs then it's *us* who needs to shut up?

• Clown 1

12 minutes ago, VakAttack said:

I think JB is definitely kind of a low key asshole, plus I'm sure he's not super popular with the Penn State crew.

Yeah, when he was the face of USA wrestling, it was bravado, but it's also an extremely classic situation, the personality that allows you to be the best in the world doesn't fade as the career progresses or ends, what was viewed as confidence turns into salt and d-baggery, and we're just left with a dude who sounds salty and kinda like an asshole.  

This is probably why the Brands sound so weird when they give interviews, they're fighting the salty d-bag things they would like to say, but they do a good job editing what their brain wants to say.  

• Fire 1

JB and DC are doing what they are suppose to do... Getting people talking, creating clicks. This is a a social medial run society and ESPN is not above it. The banter, the lack of actual analysis is what the younger generations are attracted to. The NBA and NFL broadcasts and news shows are filled with retired players running their mouths. Ever watch Amazon Prime TNF?  Half of news reporting these days is banter and fluff that is off topic and full of typos and errors. 

• Brain 1

4 hours ago, PortaJohn said:

Believe Henson is Georgia's first National Champ.  @cowcards???

You'd be correct. Still 11 states that haven't had one. 

Only GA's 2nd finalist after Charlie Heard for UTC back in 1983. He is their 23rd AA overall. Virginia Tech has been home to 5 of those. 

• Brain 2

2 hours ago, VakAttack said:

If that's essentially what happened (and I know this isn't a transcript, but a description) I'm back on the "WTF is Nickal doing right now?"  This is entirely proper discussion and analysis from Burroughs.

That happened. 

Then after the match Starocci got interviewed by Quint and said he'd be at the trials in a few weeks.  When they kicked back to the announcers DC asked if they knew anyone else who would be at the trials and Burroughs answered that he would be there and if he wrestled Starocci he'd be going after that leg for sure.  It was more than the original mention of going after a general leg as a general tactic.  It was JB saying he'd be going after Starocci's injured leg in April.  It's not a big deal, but I can't ever remember anything similar from an announcer in any sport.  Of course most sports don't use active competitors as announcers.  I can definitely get why a PSU fan (or former wrestler) wouldn't like it.  I felt like JB inserted himself into a moment that should have been about the guy who just won his 4th title.

I'm just joining late to tell everyone that Missinbricks was a total dooshknocker. Win and you get away with it but you lose and you look like an ass. #natalie

i am an idiot on the internet

1 minute ago, bnwtwg said:

I'm just joining late to tell everyone that Missinbricks was a total dooshknocker. Win and you get away with it but you lose and you look like an ass. #natalie

You talking about the head movement and the hand gestures?

8 hours ago, Scouts Honor said:

i know this. most christians DO.

This is correct. Jesus being a Jew has been a constant in Church throughout my lifetime. It would literally be impossible to have attended Church even seldomly and not know this.

• Clown 1

8 hours ago, Konquest said:

For what it's worth, Burroughs made the EXACT same comments last year when Munoz lost to Keckeisen in the semis.  If you remember, Munoz tore his knee up and couldn't really move, so Keckeisen just circled and posted on his head and let the time wind down.  In the post-match interview, Parker said (I'm paraphrasing) that he knew that Munoz was hurt bad and would be forfeiting to 6th, so why would he kick him while he was down?  Well, during the match, Burroughs said that he would attack the injury and "finish him" like in "Mortal Kombat".  

I like Parker even more now. Thanks for posting.

In context I did not find JB comments offensive last nite, but I do not like the anything that goes towards intentionally injuring a fellow wrestler. 

Edited by Pinnacle

Crazy to me that PSU scored as much as they did, despite Bartlett and Mesenbrink losing in the finals, Davis and Nagao not even placing, and Truax getting his lowest finish of his career.

9 hours ago, Scouts Honor said:

so you just said you didn't take a swipe at christians

but now are taking a 2nd swipe.

why isn't it good for God fearing people? 

There's a War On Christmas (TM); don't you watch Fox News?

8 hours ago, PortaJohn said:

From what I remember it was DC asking JB if he was Rocco Welsh would he be attacking that knee constantly.  JB responded he would attack it like crazy.  Conversation transitions to talking about hand fighting.

What I found most fascinating during the broadcast was DC talking about having the brackets early and Star initially was the #7 seed and they reseeded and put him at the 9 seed

Has it occurred to anyone else that that is the wrong strategy?  You attack the healthy leg, because the injured leg isn't as effective at pushing off (presumably).  Make the opponent need to use his injured body part.

• Brain 1