Jump to content

Transfer Portal


Recommended Posts

Sam Mitchell from Buffalo where he was a national qualifier last year at 197 to Wyoming where he will be heavyweight.  Max Elton, part of the Buffalo exodus is transferring to Lock Haven where he will redshirt next year.

Northern Illinois gets two good youngsters with plenty of eligibility.  Markel Baker from George mason at 125 and Spencer Mooberry from North Dakota State at 197.

Edited by flyingcement
  • Brain 1
  • Fire 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

21 minutes ago, poorwrestler said:

Clayton Whiting in the portal. I think he might try to go 174 somewhere else…


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Harman and Whiting both leaving in the same year.  I guess O'Toole bumping up can have that effect when there was an existing logjam at 174/184 

Edited by flyingcement
Link to comment
Share on other sites

28 minutes ago, poorwrestler said:

Clayton Whiting in the portal. I think he might try to go 174 somewhere else…


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Man that’s terrible how Smith did him at the end of the year. It was his spot, he earned it beating out both Hawks and Harmon. Sad to see him go. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

10 minutes ago, MizzouFan01 said:

Man that’s terrible how Smith did him at the end of the year. It was his spot, he earned it beating out both Hawks and Harmon. Sad to see him go. 

Funny. Smith said earlier in the season that whiting had one loss, in ot. And that’s also how he beat Hawks - not to mention the preparation he had prior to that match. 
 

The previous year, Hawks beat both Harman and whiting at the same tournament. He didn’t start right after.

but don’t you worry. You have another Wisconsin guy coming. So you probably won’t have to watch hawks wrestle anyways. 🙄

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Mhlm said:

Funny. Smith said earlier in the season that whiting had one loss, in ot. And that’s also how he beat Hawks - not to mention the preparation he had prior to that match. 
 

The previous year, Hawks beat both Harman and whiting at the same tournament. He didn’t start right after.

but don’t you worry. You have another Wisconsin guy coming. So you probably won’t have to watch hawks wrestle anyways. 🙄

Has nothing to do with Hawks personally. I don’t know any of them outside of being a fan. What I saw is Whiting beat both as mentioned before, he then wrestled in the starter spot for most of the year only to have Smith give that spot to Hawks for the post season. Why, no clue it just happened. Im from Mo, St Charles to be exact and not Wisconsin. I’ve been watching Hawks since his Holt days.  However, I am excited to see Sinclair, whether that’s 184/197. What concerns me is the details of how it went down, details I don’t know, but this could be potentially bad for Smith regarding AWA guys. If and I’m not saying it was done wrongly will this turn or change how AWA guys feel towards the program costing Mo recruits down the road. 

Edited by MizzouFan01
  • Bob 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

7 hours ago, MizzouFan01 said:

Has nothing to do with Hawks personally. I don’t know any of them outside of being a fan. What I saw is Whiting beat both as mentioned before, he then wrestled in the starter spot for most of the year only to have Smith give that spot to Hawks for the post season. Why, no clue it just happened. Im from Mo, St Charles to be exact and not Wisconsin. I’ve been watching Hawks since his Holt days.  However, I am excited to see Sinclair, whether that’s 184/197. What concerns me is the details of how it went down, details I don’t know, but this could be potentially bad for Smith regarding AWA guys. If and I’m not saying it was done wrongly will this turn or change how AWA guys feel towards the program costing Mo recruits down the road. 

I think the AWA line will be fine. KOT has the inside scoop and I would be shocked if his mentor didn’t know all about the “out of sight” things. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

10 hours ago, poorwrestler said:

Clayton Whiting in the portal. I think he might try to go 174 somewhere else…


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Minnesota or UNI? 

Less than zero chance he goes home and wrestles for Bozo in my opinion. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

15 minutes ago, RandolphTJones said:

Ohio St commit Nick Kunstek flips from OSU to Lock Haven. Was #78 on the big board, maybe he heard about the Bucks landing a bigger recruit/transfer?

Vince Bouzakis just committed. Maybe  he knew that was coming?

  • Fire 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

15 minutes ago, HungusMungus said:

Minnesota or UNI? 

Less than zero chance he goes home and wrestles for Bozo in my opinion. 

I am thinking Minnesota at 174

Link to comment
Share on other sites

17 minutes ago, HungusMungus said:

Minnesota or UNI? 

Less than zero chance he goes home and wrestles for Bozo in my opinion. 

If 174 is a potential for him maybe Little Rock would be in contention. Little Rock has AWA ties. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I am thinking Minnesota at 174

Whiting will have a lot of suitors, but the heat is on Eggum and he is playing the portal harder than he ever has. No doubt he will get Whiting at least to visit.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I can't see Whiting wanting to wrestle a weight (174) that he hasn't been down to since 10th grade, for likely the rest of his career.  I would think Wisconsin would offer him everything they can, with everyone they have lost in the upper weights.

 

  • Brain 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

12 hours ago, MizzouFan01 said:

Man that’s terrible how Smith did him at the end of the year. It was his spot, he earned it beating out both Hawks and Harmon. Sad to see him go. 

Hawks had two wins against top 10 opponents and Whiting's best win was against #31.  I'm sure if Whiting beats Wolf in the dual. The spot is probably his. If you look at it logically it gave them a better chance of getting an at-large if needed. Cause there was 6 of the top 12 wrestlers in Big XII (Keckeisen, Plott, Berge, Wolf, Feldkamp,Hawks/Whiting) and only five allocations and five at-large bids. Hawks almost assured them of a spot at Nationals if they needed an at-large. Whiting probably would have. But It was not guaranteed 

As far as wrestle offs, I mean everyone of their matches were OT matches. We all know if you wrestle someone all the time. It is not really indicative of who the better wrestler is (Not saying which one is better). 

I am sad to see him in the portal. But at the end of the day. I am sure it was a tough choice for the coaching staff.  

  • Bob 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

12 hours ago, MizzouFan01 said:

Man that’s terrible how Smith did him at the end of the year. It was his spot, he earned it beating out both Hawks and Harmon. Sad to see him go. 

Hawks is better. Evidence by his resume and him making the R12 this NCAA and R16 the NCAA before. Could/should coaching staff handled the situation differently? Probably. But Hawks is the better wrestler.

  • Haha 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

36 minutes ago, Winners Circle said:

Hawks is better. Evidence by his resume and him making the R12 this NCAA and R16 the NCAA before. Could/should coaching staff handled the situation differently? Probably. But Hawks is the better wrestler.

I understand this and have no dog in the fight. Thing is, we don’t know what Whiting would’ve/could’ve done at B12 or NCAAS. My argument was he earned the spot via wrestle-offs or whatever criteria Mizzou has and out of nowhere it was taken away for whatever reason. What’s done is done, and he’s most likely moving on. Time will tell how it works out. My concern only was that if he was done wrong, and I don’t know the details, is how it would look to other AWA recruits and if it could potentially hurt Mizzou chances in recruiting down the road. To lose a top 40 recruit and 4x state champ always leaves a sting on any program not PSU. 

  • Bob 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Rest assured, Smith does NO ONE wrong. Not the kid who cuts his grass, not his assistants, and certainly not his wrestlers. He has earned his rep as above reproach. I trust his judgment. 
 

I think it’s similar, albeit not identical, to the Ellis/Bradley situation in 2009. Ellis/Hawks was the established guy with great potential, while Bradley/Whiting was the hotshot recruit. Smith took some crap for not starting Bradley as a Frosh, but Ellis went on to a title that year. Pritts was not shy about his preference for Bradley and left for ASU soon thereafter. Bradley obviously holds no ill will about the situation as he’s currently on staff. 

  • Haha 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

14 minutes ago, Tigerfan said:

Rest assured, Smith does NO ONE wrong. Not the kid who cuts his grass, not his assistants, and certainly not his wrestlers. He has earned his rep as above reproach. I trust his judgment. 
 

I think it’s similar, albeit not identical, to the Ellis/Bradley situation in 2009. Ellis/Hawks was the established guy with great potential, while Bradley/Whiting was the hotshot recruit. Smith took some crap for not starting Bradley as a Frosh, but Ellis went on to a title that year. Pritts was not shy about his preference for Bradley and left for ASU soon thereafter. Bradley obviously holds no ill will about the situation as he’s currently on staff. 

Bradly talked about this on the “Go Earn it” podcast with Shane Sparks. Check it out if you’re a fan of either, talks in depth about this topic. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, killdozer said:

Hawks had two wins against top 10 opponents and Whiting's best win was against #31.  I'm sure if Whiting beats Wolf in the dual. The spot is probably his. If you look at it logically it gave them a better chance of getting an at-large if needed. Cause there was 6 of the top 12 wrestlers in Big XII (Keckeisen, Plott, Berge, Wolf, Feldkamp,Hawks/Whiting) and only five allocations and five at-large bids. Hawks almost assured them of a spot at Nationals if they needed an at-large. Whiting probably would have. But It was not guaranteed 

As far as wrestle offs, I mean everyone of their matches were OT matches. We all know if you wrestle someone all the time. It is not really indicative of who the better wrestler is (Not saying which one is better). 

I am sad to see him in the portal. But at the end of the day. I am sure it was a tough choice for the coaching staff.  

I agree and think coaches look at these types of things more so than how teammates do against each other.  Beating highly ranked guys is a big deal, not just in showing potential, but in making them more "seed-able" at NCAAs.  Hawks may have secured the spot when he beat Salazar.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Did West from NIU who was a qualifier at 125 hit the portal

 

Northern Illinois gets two good youngsters with plenty of eligibility.  MarkelBaker from George mason at 125 and Spencer Mooberry from North Dakota State at 197.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now



  • Latest Rankings

  • College Commitments

    Jason Kwaak

    Brentwood, New York
    Class of 2025
    Committed to North Carolina State
    Projected Weight: 165

    Liam Hickey

    Cardinal Gibbons, North Carolina
    Class of 2025
    Committed to North Carolina
    Projected Weight: 133

    Tristan Steldt

    Fennimore, Wisconsin
    Class of 2025
    Committed to Pitt
    Projected Weight: 184

    Casen Roark

    Father Ryan, Tennessee
    Class of 2025
    Committed to West Virginia
    Projected Weight: 141

    Will Greenberg

    Hawken, Ohio
    Class of 2025
    Committed to Bucknell
    Projected Weight: 285
×
×
  • Create New...