Transfer Portal

16 minutes ago, nhs67 said:

Facundo's best friend is looking to be the 184lber next season and he is looking to be the 174lber - if Starocci leaves or doesn't come back.  I don't think he leaves.

Bearclaw could be a serviceable 165lber at a MAC or EIWA or SOCON school for a season.  Hell, he is from Utah.  Perhaps Utah Valley for a season?  He does have MFS aspirations, so NLWC/Penn State is his best long-term option though.

The Bearclaw rumor was he was going to transfer to ASU. 

2 minutes ago, Dogbone said:

If Bearclaw went 165 then it would push Ruiz to 174 and Valencia to 184. It would balance out the lineup a little more for ASU, but I am not sure it's best.   Is McLane back another year as well? I believe he has one more year, but I am not sure he is using it. 

Sponsored by INTERMAT ⭐⭐⭐⭐

Just now, Dogbone said:

For 165?  What about Ruiz?

"I know actually nothing.  It isn't even conjecture at this point." - me

15 minutes ago, nhs67 said:

For 165?  What about Ruiz?

I am not sure, but Bear Claw did wrestle both 165 and 174 this year and beat Turley at 174 so there could be some flexibility if that comes to be.

1 hour ago, nhs67 said:

The kid has senior level aspirations.  He needs to grow in to 184lbs.

I imagine Thompson eventually grows into 184. He came into this season weighing just as much as Plott. I wonder how close Thompson and Robb are in the room. I know Thompson beat Robb in high school when Robb was much bigger.

19 hours ago, wrestle87 said:

Would be cool if he did, NU has a history of some pretty darn good heavyweights...but this is the problem NU will face with Michigan in their (relative) backyard.

NU vs Michigan in terms of degree value...effectively equal.

Michigan as a whole athletic department seems to be bought in on investing in the transfer market, this is going to be something that propels them long term.  They have a department that gets it, their degrees carry weight, but they also seem to have a faculty that is actually supportive of the impact and importance of athletics on campus.  Nothing is more valuable than faculty and academic departments that are flexible with class structure and supportive of making academics fit into a lifestyle that propels athlete success.

I'd give NU a slight edge in degree value. Not because it's a better school, but because though UM is a great school, like all huge state U's, it's little easier to skate through if you want. Smaller private schools, in my experience, tend to make that a bit more difficult. But this is a nit-pick, and overall, I heartily agree with your take.

3 minutes ago, Kov88 said:

Will Michigans recruiting suffer if they just keep getting grad transfers? 

As many have already alluded to, once the extra covid year guys disappear, grad transfers should drop significantly.

• Bob 2
  • Brain 1

25 minutes ago, Kov88 said:

Will Michigans recruiting suffer if they just keep getting grad transfers? 

I posed this same question earlier in this thread..... and it's a good question not necessarily from an NIL perspective but from a sports psych perspective. 

20 minutes ago, poorwrestler said:

No, they have money for recruits too

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

To me it's not really about having enough money....is Michigan creating a situation when some recruits may not go there because at anytime they could lose their spot to someone just a little better that's in the portal? Is there more stability for a wrestler to go to a school knowing their starting spot could be more safe? I get that if a guy performs they will be fine....but with the money Michigan has they seem to have the ability to bring in an AA over an R16 or R 12 guy, whereas other schools do not and that guy is pretty safe.  It does create an interesting dynamic involving trust when you have money to bring just about anyone in you want. 

Edited by Idaho
  • Bob 2

Sponsored by INTERMAT ⭐⭐⭐⭐

9 minutes ago, Idaho said:

To me it's not really about having enough money....is Michigan creating a situation when some recruits may not go there because at anytime they could lose their spot to someone just a little better that's in the portal? Is there more stability for a wrestler to go to a school knowing their starting spot could be more safe? I get that if a guy performs they will be fine....but with the money Michigan has they seem to have the ability to bring in an AA over an R16 or R 12 guy, whereas other schools do not and that guy is pretty safe.  It does create an interesting dynamic involving trust when you have money to bring just about anyone in you want. 

But Michigan isn’t actually doing that - bringing in an AA over a R16/R12 guy. Bormet has said in interviews that they’re using the transfer portal to fill some of the gaps created by extending the scholarships of Amine, Micic and Massa through Olympic redshirt and an extra Covid year. They didn’t have a lot of money to recruit with for two classes. They’re also using these grad transfers to allow their freshmen to redshirt. They’ve got some good freshmen this year, coming in next year and committed for 2025. Bormet is a pretty savvy guy, I think there is strategy behind this.

19 minutes ago, flyingcement said:

125: Wertanen (or a transfer)

133: Cannon

141: Ragusin

149: Gilcher

157: Saldate

165: Mantanona

174: Amine

184: Bullock

197: Cardenas

285: Jenkins (could get Slav)

Ragusin looked great this year at 133 is a legit contender at that weight. I wonder if we see Cannon attempt to go 125 to get in the lineup. A lineup of 125-Cannon, 133-Ragusin, 141-Lemely is salty. 

• Fire 2

1 hour ago, BlueWolverine said:

But Michigan isn’t actually doing that - bringing in an AA over a R16/R12 guy. Bormet has said in interviews that they’re using the transfer portal to fill some of the gaps created by extending the scholarships of Amine, Micic and Massa through Olympic redshirt and an extra Covid year. They didn’t have a lot of money to recruit with for two classes. They’re also using these grad transfers to allow their freshmen to redshirt. They’ve got some good freshmen this year, coming in next year and committed for 2025. Bormet is a pretty savvy guy, I think there is strategy behind this.

Agreed.  PSU (Dean, Kerk, Mesenbrink) and to a lesser extent Iowa (Caliendo) seems be the only teams I can think of bringing in transfers to bump R12/AA level guys out of the lineup.

• Bob 1

1 minute ago, nhs67 said:

Under the radar, but a solid pickup here...

Screenshot_20240405_194112_X.jpg

Yep he was a freshman NQ for the Bulls.  It also makes me reflect on the immense success Lock Haven has had in the portal recently.

Noto, Henson, Bassett, and now Stampoulos.  In this age of everyone whining about the disadvantages of being a small school, they seem to he doing just fine.  

12 hours ago, Idaho said:

If Bearclaw went 165 then it would push Ruiz to 174 and Valencia to 184. It would balance out the lineup a little more for ASU, but I am not sure it's best.   Is McLane back another year as well? I believe he has one more year, but I am not sure he is using it. 

If Teemer doesn’t go to 165, where does that leave Larkin?