Transfer Portal

1 minute ago, MizzouFan01 said:

Eierman would’ve finished in as a finalist regardless of the school, Mizzou or Iowa. The weight had cleared out and him and Lee were clearly the top guys. 

Certainly possible.

I think to the topic of Iowa not developing guys or making them worse I dont think either is inherently true. I do think they are very bad at developing guys in certain aspects of wrestling. For instance when RBY took away Austins ability to get inside control they did not seem to be able to figure out another attack for Austin to go to or even another way for him to force rby into a position where he could then regain inside control. He did go leftie single but roman was constantly grabbing ankles and either scoring or that position would get stalemated but that seemed like a position they could have improved upon as well. Where they are very good I would say is guys do not seem to get ridden very often there. Austin was very bad on bottom his true freshman year and even his first year there but improved upon that a ton. Across the board they are also incredibly sound positionally and in their head hands defense. My biggest gripe would probably be their inability to scramble past one or two sequences. Aside from Dpencer, Eiermen, Siebrecht, Kemerer who I all believe had that ability going into the program s/o mike eirmen, young guns and whoever siebrecht trained with in HS.

• Bob 1

33 minutes ago, MizzouFan01 said:

Eierman would’ve finished in as a finalist regardless of the school, Mizzou or Iowa. The weight had cleared out and him and Lee were clearly the top guys. 

Didn't he DNP in to finish his career?

16 minutes ago, Truzzcat said:

I think to the topic of Iowa not developing guys or making them worse I dont think either is inherently true. I do think they are very bad at developing guys in certain aspects of wrestling. For instance when RBY took away Austins ability to get inside control they did not seem to be able to figure out another attack for Austin to go to or even another way for him to force rby into a position where he could then regain inside control. He did go leftie single but roman was constantly grabbing ankles and either scoring or that position would get stalemated but that seemed like a position they could have improved upon as well. Where they are very good I would say is guys do not seem to get ridden very often there. Austin was very bad on bottom his true freshman year and even his first year there but improved upon that a ton. Across the board they are also incredibly sound positionally and in their head hands defense. My biggest gripe would probably be their inability to scramble past one or two sequences. Aside from Dpencer, Eiermen, Siebrecht, Kemerer who I all believe had that ability going into the program s/o mike eirmen, young guns and whoever siebrecht trained with in HS.

I don't really root for Iowa, but it's funny to mention Austin Desantos not continuing to score on RBY in the context of not improving.  Nobody in the country improved if the standard is whether they kept scoring on RBY.  Especially for a guy a clear level (or more) below RBY's talent.  

• Bob 2

1 hour ago, VakAttack said:

This is a bad take, we've seen a drop off for what seems like every 6th/7th year guy throughout the NCAAs, even PSU with Max Dean.  College wrestling is too tough on the body for that long of a period of time.

If you want to take a specific comment and apply it to a much broader spectrum that it was never intended to apply to, congratulations for reinventing the thing that makes so much of the internet suck.

17 minutes ago, boconnell said:

I don't really root for Iowa, but it's funny to mention Austin Desantos not continuing to score on RBY in the context of not improving.  Nobody in the country improved if the standard is whether they kept scoring on RBY.  Especially for a guy a clear level (or more) below RBY's talent.  

I guess my point more so was that in their first two meetings he scored 12 and 7 points and then never scored another offensive point against him. While Roman certainly jumped levels in watching their matches after their first meetings it was like watching the same match over and over again with Austin failing to make any adjustments.

50 minutes ago, Truzzcat said:

I would agree that their coaching in some specific areas is leaving much to be desired, specifically the scrambling.

27 minutes ago, wrestle87 said:

If you want to take a specific comment and apply it to a much broader spectrum that it was never intended to apply to, congratulations for reinventing the thing that makes so much of the internet suck.

Your specific comment doesn't apply in this scenario.  Maybe you could fairly argue that the guys in the  Iowa room break down after 5 years, but in the first two?  Not really.  

• Bob 2

2 hours ago, VakAttack said:

Oh, never mind, you're just here to hate and make logically inconsistent statements to get to a predetermined point.  "Austin Desanto didn't develop at Iowa" is a wild hater take. 

I didn’t say he didn’t develop. Your quote was created by you. I said he got blown past by a guy he was beating when he arrived. Claiming that as your developmental win isn’t necessarily glowing. 

A lot of arguing against Vak(Iowa) that is making precisely dick for sense here, gents.  At some point you have to understand you're simply just hating to hate and using straw man's arguments (by definition) to try to invalidate the very valid points that are being made by Vak.

I am not an Iowa fan and I approve this message.

• Bob 1

"I know actually nothing.  It isn't even conjecture at this point." - me

11 minutes ago, RegularStalling said:

I didn’t say he didn’t develop. Your quote was created by you. I said he got blown past by a guy he was beating when he arrived. Claiming that as your developmental win isn’t necessarily glowing. 

So because one guy surpassed him, it's not developmental win?  WTF are you talking about?  Desanto developed TREMENDOUSLY at Iowa, he just never won a title and one guy developed even more.  Sucks, but it happens.  The idea that the only guys who develop places are the ones who win national title denigrates literally 99.99% of the wrestlers in collegiate history.

• Brain 1

I'm a die hard Oklahoma State fan and the one thing I have learned so far is Coleman Scott is going to do these things:

1. Bring In Wrestlers via Portal 

My Take- He is younger and can use it better than John. I love John and can't thank him enough, but at least Coleman remembers what his Twitter password is. So Scott will target these men for the starting lineup: 

Andrew Alirez UNCO 141 

Kyle Parco ASU 149

Jacori Teemer ASU 157-165

Wyatt (Captain America) Hendrickson Air Force 285

Scott will use his Big 12 roots with these guys. They need Wyatt and the Sun Devils but not so much Alierez. They have a guy Tagen Jamison who was ranked top 8 at one point last year who has already used a redshirt. I think we can land the ASU guys and Wyatt. We need Teemer because he is so much better than Fish who I am not sure if he fits the OKST starting job for what Scott will try to build. We can sell to Parco that he can go up at 157 in replacement of Teague Travis so he can develop. Travis beat Ed Scott but would rather have Parco start. Wyatt is Wyatt and can win matches by fall not 2-1 and depend on riding a dude out for a period. Hopefully these LINEUP Predictions happen.

125 Troy Spratley

133 Cael Hughes

141 Tagen Jamison

149 Jordan (Iceman) Williams 

157 Kyle Parco

165 Jacori Teemer

174 Dean Hamiti

184 Dustin Plott

197 Christian Carroll

285 Captain America

This is a title team. I hear Carter Young might make the cut back down to 133. Hopefully this is it. 

I am hearing if Erisman leaves UALR for the assistant OKST coaching job, Nassir Bailey could be well on his way to GIA and stillwater. He would have to beat USA U20 Champ Cael Hughes. Scott will make unexpected things happen.

1 hour ago, VakAttack said:

Your specific comment doesn't apply in this scenario.  Maybe you could fairly argue that the guys in the  Iowa room break down after 5 years, but in the first two?  Not really.  

I see what you're saying and yeah, folkstyle wrestlers all have a shelf life, especially at the college level. 

To my memory though most Iowa guys who come in wind up wearing a pretty heavy amount of tape on something somewhere around year 2, and whether or not they are able to move on from said taped limb seems to dictate how they do throughout the rest of their eligibility.  

But fair point, road wear is inevitable no matter where they wrestle.

Posted (edited)
3 hours ago, VakAttack said:

Unfortunate but fair description of Greeley.  I cannot stress enough how much my trip to Greeley shook my faith in my belief that i knew what the rest of the country looked like.

So Greeley is 30 minutes from Boulder, Denver, Estes Park, and the Rocky Mountains, and Iowa City is 30 minutes away from.....?......Cedar Rapids?!?  I understand that you're a homer, so am I, but dude, seriously?!? 😅

Edited by KCMO2