Coach Manning calling a spade a spade!

I have great respect for Coach Manning and I love his passion for his guys.  Still I find it extremely ironic that he of all people is complaining about Cael not reporting fully that Suriano had an ankle problem in 2017 and may be less than open about CS's status now.  In 2013 he famously had a great athlete break his ankle 6 weeks before the World Championships and kept it totally quiet - if I remember correctly he did not even let the American alternate (Kyle Dake or his coach R Koll) in on it.  Now that time JB was able to accomplish one of the most amazing things ever done in the sport by winning the WC without being able to train in a normal way for 6 weeks leading up to it.  For Manning to now complain that Cael is essentially doing for his guys what Manning did for JB in that instance is a little hard to accept.

• Bob 1
  • Pirate 1

11 minutes ago, lu1979 said:

I have great respect for Coach Manning and I love his passion for his guys.  Still I find it extremely ironic that he of all people is complaining about Cael not reporting fully that Suriano had an ankle problem in 2017 and may be less than open about CS's status now.  In 2013 he famously had a great athlete break his ankle 6 weeks before the World Championships and kept it totally quiet - if I remember correctly he did not even let the American alternate (Kyle Dake or his coach R Koll) in on it.  Now that time JB was able to accomplish one of the most amazing things ever done in the sport by winning the WC without being able to train in a normal way for 6 weeks leading up to it.  For Manning to now complain that Cael is essentially doing for his guys what Manning did for JB in that instance is a little hard to accept.

A lot of this could be conjecture.  You do know that, right?  Manning might have been transparent with USA Wrestling and the brass there.  Unless you were intimately involved in the situation on either USA Wrestling's side or Manning/JB's side, you can't possibly make an educated opinion on the matter.

"I know actually nothing.  It isn't even conjecture at this point." - me

28 minutes ago, lu1979 said:

This may be nothing compared with NLWC probably hiding the extent of DTs knee injury from Bo Nickal prior to WTT!  (That is the speculation if I remember)

14 hours ago, forkemaz said:

Strategy and gaming the system are not the same thing. Gaming the system can be a strategy but that requires you to form your strategy around edge cases and loop holes. Which looks alot like the ugly drop down situation in freestyle. You don't mind it from coaches because it's not as physically ugly but it's just as bad if not worse.

It is the difference in Donald Trump having filed 6 business bankruptcies and calling it "smart business using loopholes" and finding the best pricing and suppliers.

May be technically legal but it is not OK.

• Bob 1

” Never attribute to inspiration that which can be adequately explained by delusion”.

On 3/19/2024 at 11:49 AM, JimmyCinnabon said:

And by the way, former PSU wrestler Matt McCutcheon responded to Manning's accusations about Suriano and said Nick was truly making every attempt to wrestle in that NCAA tournament, up to and including the night before the tournament. 

Manning wasn't calling out Nick Suriano, but Cael. Everyone knows Suriano would've gone out there if Cael let him. He let Nick prepare as if he was going to wrestle when he knew he wasn't going to let him. Wasted his and everyone else's time. 

11 minutes ago, pokemonster said:

Manning wasn't calling out Nick Suriano, but Cael. Everyone knows Suriano would've gone out there if Cael let him. He let Nick prepare as if he was going to wrestle when he knew he wasn't going to let him. Wasted his and everyone else's time. 

I am aware of who Manning was criticizing. What PSU guys have made clear is that Nick was preparing as if he was going to wrestle and that Cael was giving Nick every opportunity to see if he could go up until the day of the tournament. That is why Nick was training even the day before, to see if he could go at NCAAs.

1 hour ago, 1032004 said:

I don’t remember, did they pull Suriano out of NCAA’s with enough time for an alternate to enter?

IIRC Carl announced the afternoon before the start of the tournament that Suriano would be held out. I don't think an alternate was slotted in. Suriano was onsite and there were rumors up until the first session that he would weigh-in and go anyway

5 minutes ago, CHROMEBIRD said:

IIRC Carl announced the afternoon before the start of the tournament that Suriano would be held out. I don't think an alternate was slotted in. Suriano was onsite and there were rumors up until the first session that he would weigh-in and go anyway

That’s what I thought but I wasn’t sure. IIRC Campbell got their first AA with an assist from a forfeit against Suriano.

Now that could be where Manning could have a legitimate gripe if he chose to…

1 minute ago, 1032004 said:

That’s what I thought but I wasn’t sure. IIRC Campbell got their first AA with an assist from a forfeit against Suriano.

Now that could be where Manning could have a legitimate gripe if he chose to…

I agree, it's exactly what Manning was getting at. Not to give PSU a free pass but to be fair, it sounded like Suriano really wanted to wrestle, fractured ankle and all, and the coaches didn't want him risking his health. So, they probably gave him up until the last minute to prove he could go. Tough situation for all.

Not sure why they didn't reseed the bracket before to the first session. They'd have to do it anyway if someone missed weight. 

13 hours ago, whaletail said:

As much as I didn't like the way Cael handled Suriano's injury at NCAAs, I can't come up with a valid opposing argument.

If it were high school, it'd likely be a different story, but as a college coach, I just don't see how he owes a duty of care to anyone beyond the university and those on his team.

Seems un-Christian, and certainly not in line with Jesus' teachings, but given how little he publicly proselytizes, I'm not even comfortable calling the guy a hypocrite.

That last part is crazy as from the outside it seems like he's running a cult with the way Aaron, Kerk, and ngaou (the 33 I cannot spell his name) are talking. And I beleive in God I just find all of them embarrassing and I do find it hypocritical but I thought that when he said God told him to f over everyone who helped him and go to PSU instead of manning up and saying it's what he wanted. 

You can make the argument it's  cut throat sports but then maybe drop the Jesus shtick. 

• Clown 1

1 minute ago, forkemaz said:

That last part is crazy as from the outside it seems like he's running a cult with the way Aaron, Kerk, and ngaou (the 33 I cannot spell his name) are talking. And I beleive in God I just find all of them embarrassing and I do find it hypocritical but I thought that when he said God told him to f over everyone who helped him and go to PSU instead of manning up and saying it's what he wanted. 

You can make the argument it's  cut throat sports but then maybe drop the Jesus shtick. 

Seems very cult like that's for sure