Do Fix and Vito finish the tournament if they don't make it to the finals?

Serious or any type of injury that could/would affect their performance then absolutely they should forfeit out.  International wrestling will be their livelihood that will pay their bills and put food on the table.  None of us would expect a college football or basketball player to put their career on the line for a NCAA title.  Any sane person would see that as a terrible career move.  But, forfeiting over a bruised ego then sure.  Bring on the pitchforks 

• Bob 1
  • Wrestle 1
  • Duck 2

I Don't Agree With What I Posted

21 minutes ago, PortaJohn said:

Serious or any type of injury that could/would affect their performance then absolutely they should forfeit out.  International wrestling will be their livelihood that will pay their bills and put food on the table.  None of us would expect a college football or basketball player to put their career on the line for a NCAA title.  Any sane person would see that as a terrible career move.  But, forfeiting over a bruised ego then sure.  Bring on the pitchforks 

Any injury that would cause them to forfeit out of the NCAA tournament would also cause them to not compete at the OTT.  Just not enough time to heal, train, etc., to be competitive.

If they lose in the semi-final or sooner, one more (Saturday) weigh-in wouldn’t be a concern. The motivation to MED FFT and skip Saturday would be to avoid (further) injury prior to the OTT.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

2 hours ago, BigRedFan said:

Any injury that would cause them to forfeit out of the NCAA tournament would also cause them to not compete at the OTT.  Just not enough time to heal, train, etc., to be competitive.

That’s not necessarily true… Starocci just forfeited out of B1G and is competing in NCAAs in less than two weeks. It may not even have to be that bad of an injury to cause them to forfeit out if they are already in the consolations. It comes down to how much they value an NCAA medal… and if it’s not gold, I doubt those two value it very high compared to their Olympic dreams. 

1 hour ago, Eagle26 said:

That’s not necessarily true… Starocci just forfeited out of B1G and is competing in NCAAs in less than two weeks. It may not even have to be that bad of an injury to cause them to forfeit out if they are already in the consolations. It comes down to how much they value an NCAA medal… and if it’s not gold, I doubt those two value it very high compared to their Olympic dreams. 

Although this is probable, it is not yet a fact.  The last time PSU took an 0-2 double default (or double Med Forfeit) at B1G, Little Nicky failed to toe the line on day one of NCAA.  Recall that Suriano was, "in the room, drilling" prior to NCAA.

Nolf won his B1G QF before taking three MED FFTs in a semi-slide to 6th.

Edited by lu_alum

5 hours ago, Mr. PeanutButter said:

Or do they forfeit out and save the weight cut for Olympic trials? If this happens, tradition demands that we hold a virtual lynching, no? 

Good chance Vito does bc he has been hurt all year 

but definitely not Fix, ok state could be in the hunt for a trophy , fix is all about Oklahoma state and a leader and John smith might strangle him for even suggesting it to begin with 

7 hours ago, lu_alum said:

Although this is probable, it is not yet a fact.  The last time PSU took an 0-2 double default (or double Med Forfeit) at B1G, Little Nicky failed to toe the line on day one of NCAA.  Recall that Suriano was, "in the room, drilling" prior to NCAA.

Nolf won his B1G QF before taking three MED FFTs in a semi-slide to 6th.

This is true. Maybe not the best example because it didn’t happen yet, but I think the point is still valid. 

I am one who has been on Spencer Lee for quitting the way he did after losing last season.

From the Iowa board: " You think if he would have beat Ramos in the semis, he would have said, “you know, I can’t go in the finals, my body is too beat up.”

and

"Spencer said on his recent interview with Bader that his body was too beat up and it didn’t make sense for him to compete on the backside."

-----------------------------

He quit, plain and simple. I believe he regrets it but the fact is it now defines him no matter what his career brings in the future.

But to come up with This? That others are going to do it also? IF they can't make it I would expect them to at least walk out on the mat and take the loss like men, not run and hide. Or to have a good reason that is made public via the coach/school so we know what happened.

The way you have this topic is Cinnebutt at the sewer dipping your mug in for a big drink.

• Clown 1

” Never attribute to inspiration that which can be adequately explained by delusion”.

1 minute ago, 1032004 said:

I think people would give Fix the Spencer Lee treatment.  I don’t think they would for Vito since he appears to be more injured 

Fix also seems to draw more ire from fans.  Oklahoma State; 26 years old; perception that he is not willing or able to fire off leg attacks in big matches; PED suspension.

8 hours ago, Antitroll2828 said:

Good chance Vito does bc he has been hurt all year 

but definitely not Fix, ok state could be in the hunt for a trophy , fix is all about Oklahoma state and a leader and John smith might strangle him for even suggesting it to begin with 

Agreed, there's no way Fix drops out if he loses before the finals, unless he gets hurt. OSU will need his points to have any chance of making the podium. I can't imagine Vito dropping out either. He's been stubborn enough to wrestle hurt his year so far and still be one of the best guys in the country. Plus Cornell will need his points, too!

20 minutes ago, Interviewed_at_Weehawken said:

Fix also seems to draw more ire from fans.  Oklahoma State; 26 years old; perception that he is not willing or able to fire off leg attacks in big matches; PED suspension.

I don't know what his problem is. Yeah, I get that he's afraid of giving up position but he waits for the perfect shot before taking it. Fix needs to make some shit happen out there instead of standing around waiting for something to happen. Yeah, he beats up on all the weaklings on his schedule, but when he wrestles another elite wrestler he clenches up and barely does anything. Super annoying. Maybe if Fix wrestled aggressively like Messenbrink the fans would cut him some slack.

What bothers me about Fix isn't his age (there are lots of guys doing their 6th and 7th years in school now), or the PED suspension, but that he hasn't improved since he's been at OSU.  I think the coaching staff at Oklahoma State failed to make that kid better. There isn't much iimprovement, in general, coming out of that wrestling room and it concerns me. I think Fix would've done better in Iowa's room, the Brands boys do pretty good work with the little guys. 

Forfeiting out last year seemed to have saved Spencer Lee's career and life... I mean, if he hadn't done that we would be looking at a double amputee today. 

• Bob 1

Sponsored by INTERMAT ⭐⭐⭐⭐

20 minutes ago, Idaho said:

Forfeiting out last year seemed to have saved Spencer Lee's career and life... I mean, if he hadn't done that we would be looking at a double amputee today. 

Prob saved his mom a couple pair of spare glasses.  

• Potato 1

1 hour ago, NM1965 said:

What bothers me about Fix isn't his age (there are lots of guys doing their 6th and 7th years in school now), or the PED suspension, but that he hasn't improved since he's been at OSU.  I think the coaching staff at Oklahoma State failed to make that kid better. There isn't much iimprovement, in general, coming out of that wrestling room and it concerns me. I think Fix would've done better in Iowa's room, the Brands boys do pretty good work with the little guys. 

I agree.  The improvement from Spencer Lee's freshman year to senior year was awesome!

1 hour ago, NM1965 said:

I don't know what his problem is. Yeah, I get that he's afraid of giving up position but he waits for the perfect shot before taking it. Fix needs to make some shit happen out there instead of standing around waiting for something to happen. Yeah, he beats up on all the weaklings on his schedule, but when he wrestles another elite wrestler he clenches up and barely does anything. Super annoying. Maybe if Fix wrestled aggressively like Messenbrink the fans would cut him some slack.

Just wading in on Fix, there's a lot that gets repeated about him... IMO some if it has merit, some of it doesn't. Freezes up in big matches against elite wrestlers, yes. Hasn't improved, no. Don't need to list out the reasons but I've watched probably 99% of his matches since he was a redshirt freshman and I definitely don't see him bailing if he doesn't make the finals.

Spot on about a lack of progress from the OKState wrestling room in the last few years. Hopefully that's turning around with Coleman Scott, NIL/RTC rolling, other coaching changes. Coach Smith got a little too stuck in the past there for a bit but seems to have let go.

• Bob 1

Folks should cut Spencer Lee some slack. He was majorly hurt and probably shouldn't have competed in the tourney at all but he gave it a shot. Leaving the tournament doesn't "define his career" unless you didn't actually watch the guy wrestle over those 4 years. He was an absolute stud top to bottom and a real joy to watch. 

Edited by alex1fly
  • Bob 2
  • Fire 1

3 hours ago, Idaho said:

3 hours ago, ionel said:

Prob saved his mom a couple pair of spare glasses.  

Mom amputated the glasses. 

2 hours ago, alex1fly said:

Folks should cut Spencer Lee some slack. He was majorly hurt and probably shouldn't have competed in the tourney at all but he gave it a shot. Leaving the tournament doesn't "define his career" unless you didn't actually watch the guy wrestle over those 4 years. He was an absolute stud top to bottom and a real joy to watch. 

yeah but wheres the line between trying to define him through one decision and refusing to acknowledge it was at least sort of gross? I think this is what makes it hard to talk about. Any fair minded person knows this is a gray area situation...

"Half measures are a coward's form of insanity."