Starts at the top

Just now, Maxwell Smart said:

A picture of the Ferrari family after the big win by Angelo. The Father's wearing a shirt with "findyourballs" on the front. The lack of class starts at the top. Hope Angelo can achieve the success he works so hard for.

Iowa gets the full package.  Also read the Smith quote from a few days ago.

5 minutes ago, Yellow_Medal said:

Care to share either the picture or the quote?

https://pistolsfiringblog.com/osu-wrestling-john-smith-says-retirement-plans-not-part-of-the-season/

Bottom of ~4th paragraph.

"Eliminate all the crap that we’ve dealt with in the last two years — make sure that is removed and away from your team."

Edited by ionel
  • Fire 4

12 minutes ago, ionel said:

https://pistolsfiringblog.com/osu-wrestling-john-smith-says-retirement-plans-not-part-of-the-season/

"Eliminate all the crap that we’ve dealt with in the last two years — make sure that is removed and away from your team."

OSU and Coach Smith are showing a very good recovery from PTFD: Post Traumatic Ferrari Disorder.

Tom Brands and Iowa are showing some effects of it. That happens with even a small exposure. Watch what happens if they get the full infection.

• Fire 2
  • Haha 1

” Never attribute to inspiration that which can be adequately explained by delusion”.

59 minutes ago, AgaveMaria said:

OSU and Coach Smith are showing a very good recovery from PTFD: Post Traumatic Ferrari Disorder.

Tom Brands and Iowa are showing some effects of it. That happens with even a small exposure. Watch what happens if they get the full infection.

Completely agree, I really don’t get how Brands doesn’t weigh the risk higher in this risk reward scenario. Seems like a large chance of it blowing up in his face and little chance of elevating the program.

1 hour ago, ionel said:

But are you sure he actually said that and wasn’t just misquoted by a reporter like you claimed when Smith was talking about Fix not wrestling Crookham?

3 minutes ago, 1032004 said:

But are you sure he actually said that and wasn’t just misquoted by a reporter like you claimed when Smith was talking about Fix not wrestling Crookham?

Read the article, this in in context and in quotes, the other wasn't.  

Also he could've been talking about Wkn's fictitious Crooham and they misspelled the name.

4 minutes ago, 1032004 said:

Doesn’t Yianni sell a shirt with a similar saying?

That shirt isn’t as bad as the uncle or whoever that other dude was in those Iowa recruiting visit photos

yiannis is "have some nuts" which went viral after he beat sasso in the semis and they asked how he can improve upon his performance essentially. I think the context is very different at least to me.

• Fire 2
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, BuckyBadger said:

I really don’t get how Brands doesn’t weigh the risk higher in this risk reward scenario. Seems like a large chance of it blowing up in his face and little chance of elevating the program.

I can't stand Brands, but so far he has kept the cancer at a distance.  That being said, besides AJ who is a lost cause, I could see the Brands trying to work with the other 2, assuming the 3 aren't a package deal.  He had decent success with Desanto, so maybe he has the right mentality to deal with that type of kid.

21 minutes ago, KCMO2 said:

I can't stand Brands, but so far he has kept the cancer at a distance.  That being said, besides AJ who is a lost cause, I could see the Brands trying to work with the other 2, assuming the 3 aren't a package deal.  He had decent success with Desanto, so maybe he has the right mentality to deal with that type of kid.

To be honest I can’t even stomach looking at AJ. Let’s hope HR keeps him off the team for good. 

• Fire 1

56 minutes ago, AgaveMaria said:

OSU and Coach Smith are showing a very good recovery

They (OKST) changed things up a bit. It has to be hard for coaches like Smith and Brands to change. The way they did things worked. I'm sure they believed the next season would be better and before you know it, ten/twenty years have passed them by. Cael hasn't had that.  He is the new way of doing things. OKST have been great this season. I believe it has more to do with who is has come than who has gone. Brands and Iowa need a change. But, Brands has to realize it and make it happen or someone higher up has to insist it. That had to be what happened with Smith, one or the other. Even if he knows he's retiring soon, he's made a conscious decision to change up. And so far, so good.

Just my thoughts. If I knew anything, I'd be rich...

• Fire 2

8 hours ago, MPhillips said:

They (OKST) changed things up a bit. It has to be hard for coaches like Smith and Brands to change. The way they did things worked. I'm sure they believed the next season would be better and before you know it, ten/twenty years have passed them by. Cael hasn't had that.  He is the new way of doing things. OKST have been great this season. I believe it has more to do with who is has come than who has gone. Brands and Iowa need a change. But, Brands has to realize it and make it happen or someone higher up has to insist it. That had to be what happened with Smith, one or the other. Even if he knows he's retiring soon, he's made a conscious decision to change up. And so far, so good.

Just my thoughts. If I knew anything, I'd be rich...

I’m still confused why people keep simultaneously saying “OSU has been great” and “Iowa needs a change” when they’re currently projected to finish similarly at NCAA’s and I’d pick Iowa to win the dual…

8 minutes ago, 1032004 said:

I’m still confused why people keep simultaneously saying “OSU has been great” and “Iowa needs a change” when they’re currently projected to finish similarly at NCAA’s and I’d pick Iowa to win the dual…

Recency bias. The last two Iowa duals have been ugly.

1 hour ago, 1032004 said:

If you believe they've been as good as they were that's fine. I just don't believe they have...

Just now, MPhillips said:

If you believe they've been as good as they were that's fine. I just don't believe they have...

They’ve been about the same, especially when you consider 30% of what was supposed to be their starting lineup is suspended.  Seems like they’re being punished because they didn’t stink like OSU did the past couple years.

16 minutes ago, 1032004 said:

Seems like they’re being punished because they didn’t stink like OSU did the past couple years.

You're not wrong. Champs in 2021 and 2nd in 2023. OSU's best finish is 2nd and that was in 2016...

4 hours ago, 1032004 said:

I also pick Iowa to win the dual and place higher at NCAA but the answer to your question is the perception that Iowa is trending down and OSU is trending up.    OSU coming off one of their worst NCAAs in the Smith era and does appear to be trending up.  Yet to be seen how Iowa will finish but they haven't had back-to-back dual losses like PSU/Michigan in a long while. 

Great conversation here, but isn't it all about winning?  Must as in politics, a lot is tolerated to accomplish the big "W!"  The end is what counts, regardless the means.  The programs with the biggest checkbooks will remain relevant.  Coaches at traditional college power house wrestling power programs will feel the heat, and sometimes it impairs their better judgement.  NIL can flip a roster in a heartbeat.  Okie State benefited from some transfers, but is also developing some young talent and Oklahoma is a hotbed of talent.  Not sure if Okie State still mining NJ like they have in the past.  Also have a California pipeline.  Adding Coleman Scott to the staff does breath some new air in the program and synergize the old with the new.