Head Coach Ben Askren

PortaJohn

5 hours ago, Interviewed_at_Weehawken said:

Except, there is probably little more embarrassing in sports than when one man is trying to crawl off the playing surface and the other man grabs him by the foot, pulls him back in and says something to the effect of "Uh uh, you're not going to get away from me, I'm not done with you yet."

This translates to freestyle, folkstyle, BJJ, MMA, the playground, NFL football, etc.

Any clips of that match? Would love to see it

Askren said he wants to be in the wrestling room with his only focus being on coaching. If that’s his goal, a D1 head coach isn’t what he is pursuing. I imagine he sticks with his club.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• 2 months later...
On 2/18/2024 at 6:23 PM, GoGopher said:

Askren said he wants to be in the wrestling room with his only focus being on coaching. If that’s his goal, a D1 head coach isn’t what he is pursuing. I imagine he sticks with his club.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Askren said on his last FRL that he also wants to coach more senior level athletes.

Then there was a (mostly?) sarcastic discussion about Flo starting an RTC…

6 hours ago, 1032004 said:

Askren said on his last FRL that he also wants to coach more senior level athletes.

Then there was a (mostly?) sarcastic discussion about Flo starting an RTC…

Askren coaching senior level guys is meh for me.  His results at the youth level is astounding.  I hope his methods and approach catches fire nationwide.  The kids coming out of AWA are phenomenal 

I Don't Agree With What I Posted

5 minutes ago, PortaJohn said:

Askren coaching senior level guys is meh for me.  His results at the youth level is astounding.  I hope his methods and approach catches fire nationwide.  The kids coming out of AWA are phenomenal 

Meh in what way? 

The Askrens are bringing guys to the collegiate and senior level that are ready to compete right away.  I don't see why they wouldn't be effective coaching at the next level.  

They have a unique approach, with seriously impressive results. Notice how each of their guys wrestles with their own identity?  This isn't the same type of dominant high school factory we've seen in the past where a coach molds each of his guys in his own image.  

On 2/16/2024 at 11:30 PM, SocraTease said:

Askren has been coaching for years at Askren Wrestling Academy (AWA) with his brother.  Supposedly, it is one of the best clubs.   He's helped to produce a whole bunch of elite guys:  Kegan O'Toole, Mesenbrink, Keckheisen, etc.   He goes to tournaments with his kids and has fed many of them into the best college schools.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCo6F2kLzD59li40zNKSeX7g/videos 

Given this maybe Iowa should hire Ken Chertow?

” Never attribute to inspiration that which can be adequately explained by delusion”.