Down goes Max Dean (again)

Jimmy Cinnabon

• 3 months later...
1 hour ago, scribers said:

What happened to Max this year? Injured, regressed, distracted, HEW?

None of the above , Allred was the matchup nightmare for him and ncaa seeding did him no favors giving them the 8/9 seeds and hitting Thursday night…he lost 5 matches ,a pair of 2 point matches one weekend in December  then was undefeated until the big 10 finals against allred , dropped to him again at ncaas . Only other lose was giving up a lead with seconds left to traux then dropping the match in OT. He was an undersized 197 who wrestles a lot of close matches sometimes that catches up to you ..he still beat five AAs and went undefeated in big ten duals and wrestled every dual this season 

2 minutes ago, Antitroll2828 said:

Yea the 4x AA ,2 x finalist won his title with luck and it finally ran out  …did you put on oversized shoes and bright red nose before you typed this out? 

Nope. I think Max Dean is an excellent wrestler and a couple hammer on top. He is very talented and has won a ton of high level matches. At NCAA’s last year he was gifted calls in both those matches. 

• Fire 2

16 minutes ago, Antitroll2828 said:

Yea the 4x AA ,2 x finalist won his title with luck and it finally ran out  …did you put on oversized shoes and bright red nose before you typed this out? 

Did you NOT see the matches being referenced? Aiello clearly had NF and they gave him a TD vs Deprez that was...not a great call. It's that much worse that it was reviewed and THEN overturned. 

• Fire 1

I feel like his Brother Gabe was the better wrestler by far. Was impressed to see him take the leap in the finals while at Cornell, to the credit of the Cornell staff. Fun fact, he blanked (6-0) this year's Blue Collar Champion (197) Nino his finalist season while in a Cornell singlet.

11 minutes ago, scribers said:

I feel like his Brother Gabe was the better wrestler by far. Was impressed to see him take the leap in the finals while at Cornell, to the credit of the Cornell staff. Fun fact, he blanked (6-0) this year's Blue Collar Champion (197) Nino his finalist season while in a Cornell singlet.

He was certainly more successful. I think Max just had to Wrestle up a weight class and had he stayed at 184, he'd have been in the same weight as one of the best Wrestlers of this generation in Brooks.

They do have 8 AAs between them...and Max was a 2X Finalist. So while I DO think he...lets say benefitted by two particularly bad calls at the NCAAs, both came earlier enough that he may have still won. He still had over a minute vs Truax to get a TD. Little tougher is Aiello gets those NF, but it was the end of the 2nd.

Though calling someone a clown because they point it out is also kinda...silly. 

2 minutes ago, scourge165 said:

He was certainly more successful. I think Max just had to Wrestle up a weight class and had he stayed at 184, he'd have been in the same weight as one of the best Wrestlers of this generation in Brooks.

They do have 8 AAs between them...and Max was a 2X Finalist. So while I DO think he...lets say benefitted by two particularly bad calls at the NCAAs, both came earlier enough that he may have still won. He still had over a minute vs Truax to get a TD. Little tougher is Aiello gets those NF, but it was the end of the 2nd.

Though calling someone a clown because they point it out is also kinda...silly. 

Calling  a national champ lucky is pretty clownish if you ask me 

2 minutes ago, Antitroll2828 said:

Calling  a national champ lucky is pretty clownish if you ask me 

Ok, then YOU put a word to it?

Two matches on the Championship side in which he SHOULD have lost but was given a TD on review that shouldn't have been called a TD and then not having NF called against you when you very clearly gave up 2 NF? 

Pick your non-clownish word...

• Fire 2

13 minutes ago, scribers said:

Gabe was much better on his feet. Better hips of the two. More legit action.

Not disagreeing, just saying I think it was tougher for Max as he was likely wrestling up a weight class. 184 for his frame is a big difference from 197.

But Gabe was a 3X Finalist and took a 3rd and lost to Nickal and Ruth in two of the seasons. 

31 minutes ago, scribers said:

Fun fact, he blanked (6-0) this year's Blue Collar Champion (197) Nino his finalist season while in a Cornell singlet.

By the way, Austin O'Connor wrestled Jason Tsirstis...

Edit-My mistake...I thought you were talking about Gabe, not Max. But I wonder if that's the biggest spread. A Wrestler from this past year wrestling a 2013 HS graduate?
Can anyone find a better one?

Any 7 year Wrestlers-Wrestle a guy, as a Fresh, who took an ORS or got a 6th year due to a Medical?

Feels like we have to have at least one guy who Wrestled Cael with how long these College careers are getting.

Edited by scourge165

My bad. I should have utilized the wrestler's name and avoided assumption. I get a little sloppy with proofreading (I don't at all).

I am good with wrestler's taking their time across their careers. I think they used to run out of their careers as fast as possible and make a living. Nowadays, programs are finding benefits to staying in, either financial or educational.

• Fire 1

2 hours ago, scribers said:

My bad. I should have utilized the wrestler's name and avoided assumption. I get a little sloppy with proofreading (I don't at all).

I am good with wrestler's taking their time across their careers. I think they used to run out of their careers as fast as possible and make a living. Nowadays, programs are finding benefits to staying in, either financial or educational.

It was pretty clear. "While in a Cornell singlet." Gabe only wrestled in a Cornell singlet.

And I'm fine with it as well. Why be in a hurry to start your professional life if you are still capable of competing? Particularly if you're not likely to compete at the next level? I'll bet Gable Stevenson will regret not using his last year at some point. 

Chael said one thing that was absolutely correct. Every Wrestler looks back on their career and they have regrets. If you win 3 NCs, if you finish in the Rd of 12 4 times(by the way, there was Murin and one other Wrestler who had 3 Rd of 12 finishes coming into the year, I can't remember the other one).

So what's it really matter? You start at 23 or 24? You can still get married and have kids or you can still live near campus with your friends and do whatever you want. Real life sucks compared to College! Hanging out, practice, 4-5 hours of class a day, at that point, most of them are taking easier classes. Then you get your own workout in and you hang out with your buddies playing video games or...with the fairer sex(really, the whole point of College...all the rest is a distant 2nd!)

• Fire 1