If Penn State shuts out Iowa, are the Brands officially on the hot seat?

3 minutes ago, Rassling said:

Hey Vak - its nice to have to here in the states during this years big dance in March. Last year it seemed you were overeseas with no connection but suddenly a miracle happened and you were back on board. Glad it worked out!

I was on a flight during the semifinals, and ESPN wasn't working for most of it, but man, managed to figure out at some point that Spencer got pinned, but I didn't see most of the semifinals.

2 hours ago, Jimmy Cinnabon said:

Make a fair poll on this site and if fewer than 3 people want me to stay on this board I will leave willingly.  Fair means it has to be objectively worded like "Do you want Jimmy Cinnabon to permanently leave this forum?" and leave the poll open for at least 1 week to get a sufficient sample size.

I want Jimmy Cinnabon to continue participating in this forum. 

Edited by Rassling

3 hours ago, Jimmy Cinnabon said:

Make a fair poll on this site and if fewer than 3 people want me to stay on this board I will leave willingly.  Fair means it has to be objectively worded like "Do you want Jimmy Cinnabon to permanently leave this forum?" and leave the poll open for at least 1 week to get a sufficient sample size.

Or you could not be a turdbiscuit, quit posting in this burner, and just leave it (us) alone.

"I know actually nothing.  It isn't even conjecture at this point." - me

2 hours ago, Rassling said:

In my humble opinion the Brands bros lack what it takes in today’s collegiate wrestling world and need to go.  

I regularly bag on the brands for some of their decision making and the way they run the program, but I think this is some elephant-sized hyperbole.

We are witnessing a time where one program simply cannot be competed against, because they have something very special going on, and everyone else is competing for second place.  I would say, if anything, the brands, probably Terry especially, have a penchant for wanting to help the kid who is down on his luck and/or incapable of totally controlling himself.  I will go so far as to say they saved austin desanto many years in jail with the work they put in with him.  I also would not chalk the ferrari saga up to blind desire to compete.  I think they wanted to mentor/father in a way to make the world better, and it was tough to admit defeat.

There are a handful of big letter programs in the country that have real legacies of producing consistent AA’s for more than a decade.  They are Iowa, Penn State, Okie State, Ohio State, Nebraska, and Cornell.

Of these programs, only two have transitioned from their founding figurehead coach.  Yes I know Ohio State was good before Tom Ryan, but his arrival was a total regime change, not a continuation of the same tree.

I want to include Minnesota here, but they are clearly not at the same level as when Robinson was the coach.

The only other team to transition seemingly well from a head coach leaving has been Cornell, which leads me to believe that Mike Grey was just running the program behind the scenes anyway.

As far as running a blockbuster program, which is under the biggest microscope in the sport, I’d say the brands are doing a pretty good job.  They regularly turn average guys into AA contenders, and they do the spirit and the legacy of the program justice every year, even when it seems like they might stumble.

Most importantly, it really seems like they graduate good young men, and legitimately develop character, probably as well as any other head coach.

• Fire 2

15 hours ago, wrestle87 said:

I regularly bag on the brands for some of their decision making and the way they run the program, but I think this is some elephant-sized hyperbole.

We are witnessing a time where one program simply cannot be competed against, because they have something very special going on, and everyone else is competing for second place.  I would say, if anything, the brands, probably Terry especially, have a penchant for wanting to help the kid who is down on his luck and/or incapable of totally controlling himself.  I will go so far as to say they saved austin desanto many years in jail with the work they put in with him.  I also would not chalk the ferrari saga up to blind desire to compete.  I think they wanted to mentor/father in a way to make the world better, and it was tough to admit defeat.

There are a handful of big letter programs in the country that have real legacies of producing consistent AA’s for more than a decade.  They are Iowa, Penn State, Okie State, Ohio State, Nebraska, and Cornell.

Of these programs, only two have transitioned from their founding figurehead coach.  Yes I know Ohio State was good before Tom Ryan, but his arrival was a total regime change, not a continuation of the same tree.

I want to include Minnesota here, but they are clearly not at the same level as when Robinson was the coach.

The only other team to transition seemingly well from a head coach leaving has been Cornell, which leads me to believe that Mike Grey was just running the program behind the scenes anyway.

As far as running a blockbuster program, which is under the biggest microscope in the sport, I’d say the brands are doing a pretty good job.  They regularly turn average guys into AA contenders, and they do the spirit and the legacy of the program justice every year, even when it seems like they might stumble.

Most importantly, it really seems like they graduate good young men, and legitimately develop character, probably as well as any other head coach.

what a beautiful post! I especially like what you said about Terry "having a penchant for wanting to help the kid who is down on his luck and/or incapable of totally controlling himself" After reading that I quickly thought of Tom (I believe) who drove from Iowa to PA to try and convince Kemmerer not to leave the team, how they rallied around Brandon Sorenson to name a few. I know these guys have good hearts which is why I still root for them on occasion. I personally love comeback stories involving those with challenges (Desanto) others might not experience. Marsteller comes to mind - so happy to see his success. I just feel its time for someone else to take over the reins at IA.

Edited by Rassling
  • Fire 1

I am by no means an Iowa hater I will probably be rooting for them in most of the matches Friday, but I have been of the opinion for awhile that the Brands should go regardless of the outcome of this dual. I feel like they have not done a great job of developing guys when you compare them to a program like PSU or ohio state or even a mizzou or NC state. They have a top recruiting class every year but a lot of those guys seem to stay at a relatively similar level that they came in at perhaps im being too critical. When you couple that though with the ferrari situation I just felt like that was a terrible decision all together and everyone seemed to know that.

• Fire 1

18 minutes ago, Truzzcat said:

I am by no means an Iowa hater I will probably be rooting for them in most of the matches Friday, but I have been of the opinion for awhile that the Brands should go regardless of the outcome of this dual. I feel like they have not done a great job of developing guys when you compare them to a program like PSU or ohio state or even a mizzou or NC state. They have a top recruiting class every year but a lot of those guys seem to stay at a relatively similar level that they came in at perhaps im being too critical. When you couple that though with the ferrari situation I just felt like that was a terrible decision all together and everyone seemed to know that.

Add to that (for me) Spencer Lee. I never liked how he was managed for a host of reasons.

16 hours ago, wrestle87 said:

+Missouri?

19 hours ago, VakAttack said:

They won a team title two years ago and have taken third and second since then.  People have got to stop the madness.

Correct, it's not like they are irrelevant. Iowa is a top 3 team every year and can challenge PSU in a dual almost every year. Now if they had fallen out of the top 5 and weren't showing any promising signs, then yes, Brands should be on the hot seat. That's just not the case. Can't fire a coach just because they aren't able to dominate the wrestling landscape like they did through the 80's-90's. We're witnessing an all time great, Gable 2.0, at the helm of PSU.

• Fire 1

It's interesting that people will criticize the Brands bros for failing to adapt, while simultaneously ignoring that they've adapted to the NIL/transfer portal era better than every program sans PSU. 

I think they're well positioned going forward.  Over the past 10 years their chief weakness IMO is that they've had too many holes in their recruiting.  The high level recruits (top 15ish guys) that they've been able to bring in they've generally done a great job with.  They just haven't been able to get enough of them in the door.  Transfer portal solves that problem.  

Hard to hold their results this season totally against them given what happened before the season.  If you want to hold it against them for lack of institutional control, that's a more legit criticism.  

Last point on this, there's only one coach in the country they could bring in that you can guarantee would do a better job than Brands.  He's not coming to Iowa.  

• Fire 1

2 minutes ago, steamboat_charlie said:

It's interesting that people will criticize the Brands bros for failing to adapt, while simultaneously ignoring that they've adapted to the NIL/transfer portal era better than every program sans PSU. 

I think they're well positioned going forward.  Over the past 10 years their chief weakness IMO is that they've had too many holes in their recruiting.  The high level recruits (top 15ish guys) that they've been able to bring in they've generally done a great job with.  They just haven't been able to get enough of them in the door.  Transfer portal solves that problem.  

Hard to hold their results this season totally against them given what happened before the season.  If you want to hold it against them for lack of institutional control, that's a more legit criticism.  

Last point on this, there's only one coach in the country they could bring in that you can guarantee would do a better job than Brands.  He's not coming to Iowa.  

Iowa actually has done better with NIL than Penn State, and any other school.  They've got deep pockets from Bob Nicolls funding them now: https://www.foriowa.org/iowa-stories/iowa-story.php?namer=true&isid=188

Edited by Jimmy Cinnabon

19 hours ago, nhs67 said:

Or you could not be a turdbiscuit, quit posting in this burner, and just leave it (us) alone.

Are you jack from sherdog? You remind me of jack from sherdog. All you have done is cry and shit post in this thread saying it's not worth anyone's time. Well there's the door jack.

I can't contend with some of the amazing posts on here so I will just say simply:  should the Brands be on the chopping block? absolutely not. 

Just now, forkemaz said:

Are you jack from sherdog? You remind me of jack from sherdog. All you have done is cry and shit post in this thread saying it's not worth anyone's time. Well there's the door jack.

I can't contend with some of the amazing posts on here so I will just say simply:  should the Brands be on the chopping block? absolutely not. 

The fact that you don't know who I am (most old faithfuls here do) shows how ignorant you are on the subject.

Let it lie.

I never said it wasn't worth anyone's time.  I said it wasn't worth mine.  There is a huge difference there.

As far as the door being there?  I am good.  If you don't care to read my posts, block me.  Your loss, not mine.

• Haha 1

Just now, nhs67 said:

The fact that you don't know who I am (most old faithfuls here do) shows how ignorant you are on the subject.

Let it lie.

I never said it wasn't worth anyone's time.  I said it wasn't worth mine.  There is a huge difference there.

As far as the door being there?  I am good.  If you don't care to read my posts, block me.  Your loss, not mine.

So you are jack. Good to see you bud. Also I don't give a shit who you are or what you have done. This isn't the mats, this isn't a practice, it's a forum. And some of the most intelligent and interesting posting done here is by a man who never wrestled. So save your "you don't know who I am kid" shtick for some one who cares. 

You came in here and picked a fight and never said one thing on topic. How is that anymore likeable than Jimmy?

• Fire 1

2 minutes ago, forkemaz said:

So you are jack. Good to see you bud. Also I don't give a shit who you are or what you have done. This isn't the mats, this isn't a practice, it's a forum. And some of the most intelligent and interesting posting done here is by a man who never wrestled. So save your "you don't know who I am kid" shtick for some one who cares. 

You came in here and picked a fight and never said one thing on topic. How is that anymore likeable than Jimmy?

What the actual ***duck** are you on about?  Two things:  I don't care what you have to say.  That's actually it, so... bugger off, son.  Thank you for your attention today.  I am sure it meant something to you as much as it did to me.

• Haha 1

Just now, nhs67 said:

What the actual ***duck** are you on about?  Two things:  I don't care what you have to say.  That's actually it, so... bugger off, son.  Thank you for your attention today.  I am sure it meant something to you as much as it did to me.

Kisses Jack

• Fire 1

Just now, forkemaz said:

Kisses Jack

Jack?  Who is Jack and why are you obsessed with him?  Does he know how you feel?

1 minute ago, nhs67 said:

Jack?  Who is Jack and why are you obsessed with him?  Does he know how you feel?

Wether you like it or not you're Jack now. At least to me. And I think we both kinda know where we stand with one another at this point yes. 

Just now, forkemaz said:

WHether you like it or not you're Jack now. At least to me. And I think we both kinda know where we stand with one another at this point yes. 

FIFY... also...

I don't know you, so I cannot formally form any sort of an opinion.  Not properly, in any case.  I would thoroughly enjoy helping you in finding your Jack for you.  It appears obvious that there is something there... some sort of spark.  You should pursue that.  The heart wants what the heart wants and go you for coming to terms on that.  I can't be your Jack.  My heart has been sold for some 30+ years.  I am sorry.

• Fire 1