Wrestling Movies

jross

Starter Pack

• 7 Minutes - follows the story of a collegiate Division I wrestler as he battles relationship problems and personal insecurities to claim a national title from his long-standing rival, all the while facing the prospect that the university will cut the wrestling program next season
  • A Wrestling Christmas Miracle - Kace, an 11-year-old wrestling champion, gives up his sport to help his best friend Charlie out of a coma by making a Christmas movie 
  • American Wrestler: The Wizard - Set in the 1980s, a teenage Iranian refugee arrives in the United States and becomes involved in high school wrestling, facing challenges and prejudice while pursuing his passion for the sport. 
  • A Shot in the Dark - Despite a lifetime of adversity, a blind high school wrestler attempts to win a State Championship before the end of his senior year.
  • Beyond the Mat - The drama culminates in an explosive finale at the State Wrestling Championship, where more than just pride is on the line. It's a tale about two best friends, a chronicle about minority experiences in America, an uncensored look into the perilous world of high school wrestling, and ultimately the story of a teen who overcomes self-doubt to find his true place.
  • Boys with Broken Ears - A handful of young Iranian wrestlers dream of becoming the next Olympic champion; however, it is not just the championships they have to wrestle their way through but the realities of their lives.
  • Dangal - A biographical sports drama based on the true story of Mahavir Singh Phogat, an Indian amateur wrestler and coach who trains his daughters Geeta and Babita to become successful wrestlers.
  • ESPN The Season - Iowa wrestling documentary
  • Extreme Adventure: Senegal - Explore the thrilling world of Senegalese wrestling in this travel documentary!
  • Fighting Politics - The story of cage fighter Matt Lindland.
  • First Match - A high school girl joins the boys' wrestling team to reconnect with her estranged father and faces adversity while striving to prove herself in the male-dominated sport.
  • For the Love of Catch is an overdue documentary showcasing how wrestling has been integrated into society's background, from ancient times through two world wars and continuing a legacy of honor today.
  • Foxcatcher - Based on true events, the film explores the relationship between Olympic gold medalist wrestlers Mark and Dave Schultz and their association with wealthy benefactor John du Pont, leading to tragedy.
  • Going to the Mat - A Disney Channel Original Movie about a visually impaired teenager who joins the high school wrestling team, overcoming challenges and gaining peer acceptance.
  • Hadley's Rebellion - A small-town lad's passion for authentic wrestling is not matched by those around him at a California prep school.
  • Heavin - Watching her older brothers wrestle, Heaven Fitch fell in love with the sport. This is the story of the 16-year-old North Carolina girl whose hard work and determination would break barriers and make history, narrated by WWE Hall of Famer Beth Phoenix.
  • Helen Maroulis: History Now - Helen Maroulis is training to become the first American woman to earn an Olympic wrestling gold medal. She's currently ranked number 1 in the country, but her place won't be secure unless she comes out on top in the Olympic trials this April (2016)
  • Junkyard Dogs - is an underdog story that captures what it takes to be a champion and sheds light on the power and importance of one of the world's oldest sports.
  • Legendary - A drama about a young man who joins his high school wrestling team to connect with his estranged brother and discovers the transformative power of the sport.
  • Mack Wrestles - Mack Wrestles tells the story of Mack Beggs, a transgender high school wrestler from Euless, Texas, who competes under the gender he was assigned at birth rather than how he identifies.
  • Making of an Amateur Champion - Follows the story of two amateur wrestling brothers, Randy Couture and Henry Cejudo.
  • Night and the City -  Harry sees an opportunity to move into another racket and promises Gregorius that he will promote classical Greco-Roman wrestling in London.
  • On the Mat - Achieving greatness in high school wrestling requires a level of devotion unmatched perhaps by any other sport. That greatness has become a yearly expectation at Lake Stevens High, winner of seven Washington state championships.
  • Pinned - A documentary that follows the lives of high school wrestlers as they navigate the challenges of the sport and its impact on their personal journeys.
  • Reversal - A college wrestler deals with personal and professional challenges, including relationships and the pressures of competition, in this coming-of-age drama.
  • Rulon Won't Die - The film chronicles the life and exploits of Rulon Gardner, who was raised as the youngest of nine children on a dairy farm in Wyoming and would go on to win the gold medal in Men's Greco-Roman 130 kg wrestling at the 2000 Summer Olympics in Sydney, Australia.
  • Takedown - An unqualified teacher finds himself saddled with coaching duties after a small group of high school seniors form a wrestling team in a last ditch effort to end a 9-year losing streak against a rival school.
  • Takedowns and Falls - follows a small cast through one high school wrestling season in Harrisburg, Pa. The film showcases the sport, its athletes' sacrifice, and its coaches' dedication. It reveals stories of triumph and defeat...pressure and expectation... mental and physical preparation, and concepts of personal achievement, as told through the lives and experiences of... A Wrestler...A Coach...A Team... and the pursuit of a common dream.
  • Team Foxcatcher - Documentary filmmaker Jon Greenhalgh examines the life of Dave Schultz, a professional wrestler who was part of 'Team Foxcatcher', funded by multi-millionaire John du Pont.
  • The Breakfast Club - Andrew Clark (Emilio Estevez) is a returning State Champion...
  • The Dual - Iowa v Iowa Stte
  • The Hammer - Based on the life of deaf wrestler Matt Hamill, the film explores overcoming obstacles to become a successful amateur wrestler and mixed martial artist.
  • The Last Champion - When his mother dies, scandal-ridden ex-Olympian John Wright returns to a hometown that has not forgiven him.
  • The Making of an Amateur Champion - Follows the story of two amateur wrestling brothers, Randy Couture and Henry Cejudo. 
  • The Prince of Pennsylvania - This documentary explores the story of the Olympic wrestling champions and brothers Mark Schultz and Dave Schultz and their turbulent relationship with the eccentric multi-millionaire John du Pont.
  • The Streak - The story of Florida's Brandon High School's wrestling program, which holds the longest winning streak in American sports history with a perfect 451-0 record spanning 34 years.
  • They Live - A famous wrestling-style fight scene exists in it.  And Aliens!
  • True Life On the Mat - MTV Episode - A documentary-style episode that likely follows the real-life experiences of individuals involved in wrestling, as typical of MTV's "True Life" series.
  • Saved by the Bell - Slater gets a college wrestling scholarship.
  • Stand Up - The Central Pennsylvanian Central Dauphin East High Wrestling team is a young, underdog team that hasn't had a state-tournament-qualifying wrestler in 5 years.
  • Veritas - A man pursues his lifelong dream of becoming a national wrestling champion at the risk of losing his eyesight.
  • Vision Quest - A high school wrestler sets his sights on a challenging weight class and pursues personal and athletic goals while navigating relationships.
  • Wrestle - Film - A documentary that follows the journey of four high school wrestlers in Huntsville, Alabama, as they grapple with challenges on and off the mat during their senior year.
  • Wrestling with Iowa - The documentary follows two high school seniors as they attempt to win the State Wrestling Championship in their final season and join the elite list of Iowa's four-time wrestling champions
  • Wrestled Away - Lee Kemp Bio
  • Win by Fall - Scott Reynolds is the state's best 152-pound wrestler. Ryan, the team's 171-pound varsity wrestler, breaks his leg, and Coach Winters moves Scott up to the 171-pound division. If Scott wants to go to college, he needs a scholarship. If he wants a scholarship, he must win!
  • Winning Girl - The four-year journey of a female teenage judo and wrestling phenomenon from Hawaii vying for world championship gold.
  • Win Win - A drama-comedy that involves high school wrestling, focusing on a struggling attorney who becomes a wrestling coach and its impact on his life.
  • Zion - Born without legs and stuck in foster care for years, teen Zion Clark finds his calling when he pursues competitive wrestling.
  • Zzz. The Flo Serieshttps://www.flowrestling.org/films has many documentaries 
  • Fire 9

Why did you see yourself in this role?

The first thing that really hooked me was just wrestling because I loved wrestling so much in high school.  Collegiate wrestling is different than professional wrestling. People are going nope, but collegiate wrestling is really an incredibly disciplined sport. Some people say it's a kind of sadomasochism.  It's a wonderful combination of training, endurance, you know mental agility.  People who are wrestlers are a very bizarre breed of people, and that's what originally hooked me into it.  They're usually very individualistic... because no one comes to see your wrestling matches.  Usually, it's you are in a small steamy room, it's always bizarre.  I don't know if we can put this on TV but I used to have my own... my mother and father came to see me wrestle once.  I was winning, but every so often, the coach would yell crotch ride, crotch ride. I know mom's going 'no.'  But it's a wonderful sport I mean I really loved it...

• Fire 3

30 minutes ago, jross said:

... the coach would yell crotch ride, crotch ride. I know mom's going 'no.'  But it's a wonderful sport I mean I really loved it...

I am still amused that wrestling has a high crotch, deep crotch and crotch lift

3 hours ago, HungusMungus said:

Would Saved by the Bell, be classified as a wrestling TV show? AC Slater did in fact get a scholarship to wrestle at Iowa!! 

It was listed in the very first post...

Edited by MPhillips

4 minutes ago, Jason Bryant said:

No, he didn’t. He ALMOST did.

1def19d8781a06f8900d55a788ad745f.jpg

California University

Although Zack Morris (Mark-Paul Gosselaar) planned to attend Yale University and A.C. Slater (Mario Lopez) Iowa, they attend California University in Saved by the Bell: The College Years (1993).

Just now, Ohio Elite said:
California University

Although Zack Morris (Mark-Paul Gosselaar) planned to attend Yale University and A.C. Slater (Mario Lopez) Iowa, they attend California University in Saved by the Bell: The College Years 

I remember when he got pinned at practice and the other guys were giving him a hard time. Since he was State champ and all lol.

• Reversal - A college wrestler deals with personal and professional challenges, including relationships and the pressures of competition, in this coming-of-age drama.

Wasn’t this a high school wrestler? Remember watching this when it came out.
  • high-schooler Leo has been wrestling since he was seven, but he's tired of living his coach/father's dreams. Even if it costs him scholarships and a shot at the Olympics, Leo just wants some fun. Based on a true story.
  • Fire 2

17 hours ago, Jason Bryant said:

No, he didn’t. He ALMOST did.

1def19d8781a06f8900d55a788ad745f.jpg

never said he wrestled there, he was in fact offered a scholarship, 

Slater is offered a wrestling scholarship at the University of Iowa, but finds it difficult to tell his father, who wants him to go to West Point. 

46 minutes ago, HungusMungus said:

never said he wrestled there, he was in fact offered a scholarship, 

Slater is offered a wrestling scholarship at the University of Iowa, but finds it difficult to tell his father, who wants him to go to West Point. 

"AC Slater did in fact get a scholarship to wrestle at Iowa!! "

You don't actually "get" the scholarship if you don't enroll there. But this is semantics over a fictional situation, so in keeping with the theme - Thanks Preppy

Insert catchy tagline here.