Uncomfortable brands interview

Which would you rather:

a) go live with Tom for 7 minutes or

b) listen to Tom do a 12 min interview.

I feel this is my indifference point.  I only latest 3 min on the listen but sure I wouldn't make it 1 minute live.  

• Fire 2
  • Haha 3

5 minutes ago, ionel said:

Which would you rather:

a) go live with Tom for 7 minutes or

b) listen to Tom do a 12 min interview.

I feel this is my indifference point.  I only latest 3 min on the listen but sure I wouldn't make it 1 minute live.  

i used to think they were slightly informative and liked his barnyard analogies, but now the sheer weight of whats unsaid makes it torture.

What is the question that would clear the air? Something like "How embarassed are you that you tried to sell your soul for an NCAA title and to have the whole thing blow up in your face? Its really kind of a worst case scenario huh?"

• Fire 2
  • Haha 2

"Half measures are a coward's form of insanity."

1 minute ago, Hammerlock3 said:

i used to think they were slightly informative and liked his barnyard analogies, but now the sheer weight of whats unsaid makes it torture.

What is the question that would clear the air? Something like "How embarassed are you that you tried to sell your soul for an NCAA title and to have the whole thing blow up in your face? Its really kind of a worst case scenario huh?"

And maybe he could've answered that question.  This "you know I can't answer that" is crap.  If you can't just say "no comment."

1 minute ago, ionel said:

And maybe he could've answered that question.  This "you know I can't answer that" is crap.  If you can't just say "no comment."

he might as well do the cael thing and just never make a sound.

• Fire 4

Pretty standard Brands interview. I continue to be confused as to why Brands doesn't like to answer the tough questions. What advantage does he perceive to get from all the secrecy? 

Funny enough, Terry, the few times he's interviewed (including earlier this year) is much better behind the mic. 

• Fire 1

It was fine, and really no different from any of Brands' other pressers. You can tell he coaches mostly by gut instinct rather than analysis or strategy. He keeps it simple, but is definitely not a sound bite guy. Nothing wrong with any of that; it's just funny to see his incredulousness to so many questions. Time and again, you can see Brands get visibly frustrated and wonder why reporters think so deeply about things and ask stupid questions, or try to get him to say certain things. And then you have the sports journalists who are obviously afraid of him and walking on eggshells. It's a funny dance to watch. 😂

24 minutes ago, PortaJohn said:

So is it official no Anthony or AJ?  @Husker_Du @Jason Bryant @Jon_Kozak

@:45

Reporter:  Do you have any wrestlers joining the roster for the second semester?

Tom: We do not (pause) at this moment 

I wouldn't read too much into that pause. No one inserts as many awkward pauses into a sentence as Tom Brands.

• Fire 1

Drowning in data, but thirsting for knowledge

5 hours ago, Mr. PeanutButter said:

Pretty standard Brands interview. I continue to be confused as to why Brands doesn't like to answer the tough questions. What advantage does he perceive to get from all the secrecy? 

Funny enough, Terry, the few times he's interviewed (including earlier this year) is much better behind the mic. 

What I don’t get is why does he do so many interviews when he insists on saying almost nothing of substance ever….

1 minute ago, FanOfPurdueWrestling said:

What I don’t get is why does he do so many interviews when he insists on saying almost nothing of substance ever….

he used to be more substantive but its a bad year...in my mind you don't uproot your habits just because the wind is blowing the wrong way.

Just now, Hammerlock3 said:

he used to be more substantive but its a bad year...in my mind you don't uproot your habits just because the wind is blowing the wrong way.

Fair enough, I can respect him maintaining his interview habits even in a down year. He keeps the Iowa program talked about that’s for sure.  

4 hours ago, PortaJohn said:

Reporter:  Do you have any wrestlers joining the roster for the second semester?

Tom: We do not (pause) at this moment 

The reporters in the room should have paused and waited another moment and asked again.  

Also, I thought they were adding a new heavy wight to the roster for the spring semester.  What happened to that?  🤔

• Fire 1

Just now, ionel said:

The reporters in the room should have paused and waited another moment and asked again.  

Also, I thought they were adding a new heavy wight to the roster for the spring semester.  What happened to that?  🤔

they talked about cooter a bunch of times after that. 

I think he may have said "at this point" because he was trying to ignore the real meaning of the question. Is it possible in any way that ferrari is wrestling for iowa and we just don't know yet? 

5 hours ago, ionel said:

There are NCAA rules regarding what a coach can comment on with respect to a prospective student-athlete. Basically, a coach can either confirm or deny that they are recruiting a prospective student-athlete, but cannot go any further than that. I suspect the University of Iowa has a policy that goes even further than that, stating that they cannot comment on prospective student-athletes at all, but am not 100% certain in that regard. That's probably why Brands made that sort of comment.

There was a segment where Matt Storniolo went on FRL some years' back and was asked (I believe by Ben Askren) about a recruit who had fairly recently committed to Northwestern, and Storniolo responded with "we are recruiting <wrestler's name>". That's all he's allowed to say. There was an instance in the 1990's where a coach in a sport other than wrestling, at a school that did not at the time (and still doesn't) sponsor wrestling, in a press conference, stated "NCAA rules state we are only allowed to confirm or deny whether we are recruiting a prospective student-athlete. Well, I'm denying. We are not recruiting <PSA's name>."

In short, it's not that Tom doesn't want to comment on things (although if I were Tom, I certainly would not be commenting on recruiting a human IED like AJ Ferrari), it's that NCAA rules and/or University of Iowa department policy prohibit him from commenting.

• Fire 2

2 minutes ago, Hammerlock3 said:

they talked about cooter a bunch of times after that. 

I think he may have said "at this point" because he was trying to ignore the real meaning of the question. Is it possible in any way that ferrari is wrestling for iowa and we just don't know yet? 

Friday it'll be a different "moment" so sure anything is possible.

BTW: who posted that video and made me losev3 minutes of my life?  😕

• Fire 1

1 minute ago, ionel said:

Friday it'll be a different "moment" so sure anything is possible.

BTW: who posted that video and made me losev3 minutes of my life?  😕

whats different on friday?

1 minute ago, SetonHallPirate said:

There are NCAA rules regarding what a coach can comment on with respect to a prospective student-athlete. Basically, a coach can either confirm or deny that they are recruiting a prospective student-athlete, but cannot go any further than that. I suspect the University of Iowa has a policy that goes even further than that, stating that they cannot comment on prospective student-athletes at all, but am not 100% certain in that regard. That's probably why Brands made that sort of comment.

There was a segment where Matt Storniolo went on FRL some years' back and was asked (I believe by Ben Askren) about a recruit who had fairly recently committed to Northwestern, and Storniolo responded with "we are recruiting <wrestler's name>". That's all he's allowed to say. There was an instance in the 1990's where a coach in a sport other than wrestling, at a school that did not at the time (and still doesn't) sponsor wrestling, in a press conference, stated "NCAA rules state we are only allowed to confirm or deny whether we are recruiting a prospective student-athlete. Well, I'm denying. We are not recruiting <PSA's name>."

In short, it's not that Tom doesn't want to comment on things (although if I were Tom, I certainly would not be commenting on recruiting a human IED like AJ Ferrari), it's that NCAA rules and/or University of Iowa department policy prohibit him from commenting.

And why you simply say "no comment" instead of the long winded approach of berating the reporter for asking the coach to answer a question he should know he can't answer.

But since you brought it up, is AJ "a prospective student athlete?"  🤔

1 minute ago, Hammerlock3 said:

idk what that means

I dont either, I'm just relaying what Tom said.  5 minutes after the interview it was a different moment so I guess there could be 10 different starters who weren't on the roster until that moment.  Its also possible Tom cleared this all up in those last 9 minutes that I just couldn't bare to watch.  🤷‍♀️

• Fire 1