As a Corporate Sponsor of the 59th Annual Ken Kraft Midlands Tournament ...

ILLINIWrestlingBlog

... we would just like to say that we will be on our best behaviour. See, we even used the English spelling of behavior just now. Very classy. Does this mean that our **** doesn't stink. Well, yes. Kinda. 

We're so excited about this sponsorship deal that we've added a "Plus" to our corporate name: The ILLINI Wrestling Blog & Forum & Beyond Plus

If you want to see our ILLINI Midlands Preview, it's at this link. As always, it is free without advertising. All you will ever get from us is top notch journalism from respected and impartial journalists. That's our promise to you. 

The ILLINI had two champions at last year's Midlands, Zac Braunagel and Edmond Ruth. Can Zac wrestle unattached? Yowzers, I just thought of that. What about Danny? Wouldn't it be cool if the Brawlnagels just wrestled Greco holds at this year's Midlands? That would be so epic! 

Edmond Ruth is undefeated against the field, at least 7-0, including 3-0 against the other highest seeds at the weight.

Heavyweight should be a blast with Cohlton Shultz and Yaraslau Slavikouski and Luke Luffman entered. You can expect ILLINOIS to show off some of their true Freshmen wunderkinds to see how they do against a field with 48 teams in it. The younglings did pretty darn well at Fargo last year, but how does that translate to the greatest folkstyle tournament in the world? 

Finally, what would an ILLINI Midlands Preview be without a cartoon about the Iowa Hawkeyes? 

ILLINIWRESTLING881.jpg

• Fire 7
  • Haha 4

8 hours ago, Caveira said:

I think it was already in decline.  

Do you think Iowa/others wouldn’t have bailed for good of NW wasn’t on the wrong side of Covid ?

Nothing more prestigious than a Salute Your Shorts trophy. I wonder if it will be chippy in the 125 bracket again because sometimes parents don't like to see what happens when Santa visits the children of naughty parents who run their mouths and get their kids caught in the crosshairs.

image.thumb.jpeg.59b36e039b1ca9fca7e1323a9a41fb43.jpeg

• Fire 1

i am an idiot on the internet

7 hours ago, ScarletKnight said:

When will the preseeds be released for the Midlands??? 

I don't know. I can't find anything about preseeds last year, Flo just popped out with the brackets.

I've seen on the schedule that the Coaches are supposed to have a "business meeting" on the 28th--the day before the tourney starts. My guess is after that meeting. 

Brackets will be on Track, so I'll be checking then.

IMG_20231119_205728.jpg.f17444cbf45395109317c35b9bb26496.jpg

16 minutes ago, 1032004 said:

This you, @ILLINIWrestlingBlog?

good watch

No. Our stuff isn't this good. We will be this good soon. Last couple of days, I've seen snippets of this video around Twitter and Instagram but hadn't seen the whole thing. Thanks for posting it! 

As for MIdlands, we're hoping to get some brackets today. Driving up tomorrow. 

It looks like the ILLINI are leading the way with 19 wrestlers entered. Arizona State has 15, ILLINOIS has 21 (I don't know if those are unattached ILLINI, NIU and SIUE or what), MSU 18, MIchigan 11, Penn 18, Wisconsin 18 and Rutgers 0. At least that's what they have for Rutgers on Track. I thought they were bringing a full team. A bunch of other teams bringing 15-17 wrestlers. Should be some massive brackets! 

The ILLINI who are attached and registered for the Midlands:

125. Caelan Riley

133. Tony Madrigal, Kole Brower

141. Danny Pucino, William Baysingar

149. Kannon Webster, Jake Harrier, Jake Reicin

157. Joe Roberts, Braeden Scoles, Logan Swaw

165. Caden Ernd, Chris Moore

174. Edmond Ruth

184. Dylan Connell

197. Isiah Pettigrew, Joe Braunagel, Sunyup Ryu, Chase Waggoner

285. Luke Luffman

Looks like ASU starters are going except for Cohlton Schultz. But there's Isaac Trumble entered for NC State at 285. 

17 hours ago, ILLINIWrestlingBlog said:

The ILLINI who are attached and registered for the Midlands:

125. Caelan Riley

133. Tony Madrigal, Kole Brower

141. Danny Pucino, William Baysingar

149. Kannon Webster, Jake Harrier, Jake Reicin

157. Joe Roberts, Braeden Scoles, Logan Swaw

165. Caden Ernd, Chris Moore

174. Edmond Ruth

184. Dylan Connell

197. Isiah Pettigrew, Joe Braunagel, Sunyup Ryu, Chase Waggoner

285. Luke Luffman

Looks like ASU starters are going except for Cohlton Schultz. But there's Isaac Trumble entered for NC State at 285. 

The IWB+ stream is running a little slow today, kindve like trying to get X updates from the Fly.  😞

2 hours ago, ionel said:

The IWB+ stream is running a little slow today, kindve like trying to get X updates from the Fly.  😞

The two best moves of the tournament so far--and this is 100% serious--Luke Luffman hitting a Flying Squirrel to get the tech as time expired, and just now, Luffman again with a leg sweep straight to the back for the pin.

Bad news for ILLINI fans: Dylan Connell reinjured himself.

9 minutes ago, ILLINIWrestlingBlog said:

The two best moves of the tournament so far--and this is 100% serious--Luke Luffman hitting a Flying Squirrel to get the tech as time expired, and just now, Luffman again with a leg sweep straight to the back for the pin.

Bad news for ILLINI fans: Dylan Connell reinjured himself.

I've seen Matt Lackey hit a flying squirrel, never expected it from Luffman.  Did the arena foundation crack?  

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, ionel said:

I've seen Matt Lackey hit a flying squirrel, never expected it from Luffman.  Did the arena foundation crack?  

I suppose this is as good a time as any to remind everyone of the best footsweep in NCAA finals history

• Fire 1

i am an idiot on the internet

2 hours ago, ILLINIWrestlingBlog said:

Clips or it didn't happen...🥱

• Fire 2