Don't forget to vote for Jordan Burroughs/Sullivan Award

Fadzaev2

On 10/30/2022 at 8:52 PM, Fadzaev2 said:

I almost feel your pain....she's a great one!

She's okay...

-Most decorated female athlete ever with 22 career World Championships
-10-Time Olympic Medalist (7 Gold, 3 Silver)
-Won 4 Gold Medals at the FINA World Championships in 2022

Sponsored by INTERMAT ⭐⭐⭐⭐

20 minutes ago, Idaho said:

She's okay...

-Most decorated female athlete ever with 22 career World Championships
-10-Time Olympic Medalist (7 Gold, 3 Silver)
-Won 4 Gold Medals at the FINA World Championships in 2022

I'm not denying any of this, I'm a huge fan of Michael Phelps as a male GOAT as well, for the same reasons, but remember they can win multiple medals in one championship event......in wrestling it's one at a time over a number of years....Bruce Baumgartner for example  13 World and Olympic Medals, but you can't all those in one year, it's one at a time.   It's Jordan Burroughs for me......he's and amazing person and one of the greatest ambassadors for wrestling that America has ever had.  Listen to his "Coffee with Jordan Burroughs" on Flo some time.  I'm going with JB this time......I'll go with Katie Ledecky another time.  

1 hour ago, Fadzaev2 said:

I'm not denying any of this, I'm a huge fan of Michael Phelps as a male GOAT as well, for the same reasons, but remember they can win multiple medals in one championship event......in wrestling it's one at a time over a number of years....Bruce Baumgartner for example  13 World and Olympic Medals, but you can't all those in one year, it's one at a time.   It's Jordan Burroughs for me......he's and amazing person and one of the greatest ambassadors for wrestling that America has ever had.  Listen to his "Coffee with Jordan Burroughs" on Flo some time.  I'm going with JB this time......I'll go with Katie Ledecky another time.  

You had to know where I would go with this.

Katie Ledecky wins on longevity stats too. She has not lost a 1500 meter race in over a decade, going back to when she was 14. She has the 25 fastest times in history in the 800 meters. And she has 18 of the 25 fastest times in history in the 1500 and 400. Bonkers stats.

Sorry, sorry. I forgot my place. Go JB.

• Fire 1

Drowning in data, but thirsting for knowledge

5 hours ago, Fadzaev2 said:

I wouldn't disagree with you on any points on either one. Both are deserving to win. 

Sponsored by INTERMAT ⭐⭐⭐⭐

On 10/30/2022 at 9:01 PM, Wrestleknownothing said:

But Katie Ledecky is a nominee, too. The internal conflict threatens to tear me apart.

Think about how many medals JB would have if wrestling added a 2m, 3m, 4m, 12m match style along with take down, par terre, tag team, and quad team.

Edited by jross
  • Fire 1

2 hours ago, jross said:

Think about how many medals JB would have if wrestling added a 2m, 3m, 4m, 12m match style along with take down, par terre, tag team, and quad team.

I thought you liked JB?

If JB wrestled the same number of events as Ledecky swims he would have far fewer Olympic medals as he has qualified for a single Olympics while she has qualified for three. And he would have fewer World golds as 86% of her medals are gold, but only 67% of JB's are gold.

Or we could flip it around.

If she swam a single event she would have 3 Olympic golds in the 800m (2012, 2016, 2020) to JB's 1 Olympic gold (2012). And she would have 5 World golds in 5 attempts (swimming has Worlds in odd years only, except 2021 - they had it in 2022 instead, you know, cuz Covid) to JB's 6 golds in 9 attempts.

Drowning in data, but thirsting for knowledge

She has zero WC medals in the 50m freestyle event compared to JB's nine WC medals in wrestling.  Katie is fantastic!  However, the number of medal opportunities is bananas for comparison's sake.

Freestyle

• 50m freestyle W
  • 100m freestyle W
  • 200m freestyle W
  • 400m freestyle W
  • 800m freestyle W
  • 1500m freestyle W

Breaststroke

• 100m breaststroke W
  • 200m breaststroke W

Backstroke

• 100m backstroke W