Are People Worse Than They Used to Be?

24 minutes ago, MPhillips said:

I work with public. I see good, kind, helpful, responsible, law abiding, respectful, etc, etc etc people daily. I just haven't seen their tictocs, instagrams and whatnots...

Keep the people afraid.

Welcome to the cesspool.  🙂

• Haha 1

8 minutes ago, MPhillips said:

I ventured in long before you brother. I'm just better at shutting the f u c k up. 

Perhaps not...🙄

Yes I know, you are the one who first told me about this wonderful place.  I'd simply been hanging out waiting for the new wrestling season.  Plus I've seen the crude still sticking to you when you came back over to the college & international boards. 

• Confused 1

13 hours ago, Wrestleknownothing said:

He explains all of that in detail in the podcast.

I listened to it last night, and it makes great points that I largely agree with.

------

From a contrarian perspective, listening to the OP video, I thought about secular and religious morals.  I thought about how moral acceptance changes over time.  I wondered how the surveyors considered that the responders answered kindness questions against their at-the-time moral standards.  Comparing across history may not be possible when secular moral standards are changing.

I remember asking my mother why the people of the Old Testament were evil, and she told me it was the normal way of life then.  I wonder how the people of the Old Testament would respond to the survey.  Would it also trend similar with the people of today?

------

The selection of morals and time frame enables one to make claims with supporting evidence.

To many Abrahamic religious followers, the increasing number of children born out of wedlock is a moral decline.

To many, the increasing number of school shootings is a moral decline.

Some problems are still worsening, and more work needs to be done.

------

I listened to this Ted Talk that uses data to express progress over time.  It is similar to the OP video.

12 hours ago, JimmyBT said:

Worse no. Brainwashed and stupid compared to the past.  Yep. 

You keep using that word. i do not think it means what you think it means. 

That you instinctively react by lashing out should give you pause as to who is brainwashed/conditioned. 

We have more info and better access to it then ever before. Are those that yell the loudest the least qualified to talk about knowledge and science? Often. 

Does it take an effort to keep up with all that knowledge? Yes. Are we inherently lazy and look for an easier way to get along in life? Also, yes. Do we push back against changing our minds due to how much energy it costs to reevaluate or reconsider our understanding of the world? Heck ya. Does trolling help anyone? Depends on how you define help. Does JBT seem to enjoy getting under the skin of people? Seems so. 

BAH!

2 hours ago, ThreePointTakedown said:

That you instinctively react by lashing out should give you pause as to who is brainwashed/conditioned. 

We have more info and better access to it then ever before. Are those that yell the loudest the least qualified to talk about knowledge and science? Often. 

Does it take an effort to keep up with all that knowledge? Yes. Are we inherently lazy and look for an easier way to get along in life? Also, yes. Do we push back against changing our minds due to how much energy it costs to reevaluate or reconsider our understanding of the world? Heck ya. Does trolling help anyone? Depends on how you define help. Does JBT seem to enjoy getting under the skin of people? Seems so. 

BAH!

Yet we have lower scores and standards just to be fair to those that can’t attain them.   Only they can allow me to get under their skin so 

Edited by JimmyBT

2 hours ago, ThreePointTakedown said:

BAH!

I love when people generalize with words like often.  

• Confused 1

• 2 weeks later...
2 hours ago, neutral said:

People were always jerks.  Now just more attention is drawn to it via social media.  We might have been polite in public but behind closed people still treated each other horribly.

Prob depends on where you grew up, we won't ask you where.