Heavyweight huskers

jajensen09

Not that it means anything, but did Hutmacher have any notable wins in HS?  Looking at his 2017 Fargo Cadet bracket, not seeing any names I recognize although he did tech his way through and didn’t allow a point until the finals.  

On a side note, the cadet finals that year look to have had a pretty good success rate of guys doing well in D1, not sure how that compares to other years.

On 12/8/2023 at 9:05 PM, JimmyBT said:

Kid was a beast in HS.  I hope he can do it.  That being said let’s see him A.) get down to 285 and B.) maintain the stamina needed to be an impact HWT. 

I was wrong about A

looks like I’m ok on B 

• 4 weeks later...

Hutmacher struggled against a true freshman 197 from Illinois whose only D1 win thus far was against Bellarmine.

Seems unlikely Hutmacher will be a factor and I’m guessing may not even start for the postseason

13 hours ago, 1032004 said:

Hutmacher struggled against a true freshman 197 from Illinois whose only D1 win thus far was against Bellarmine.

Seems unlikely Hutmacher will be a factor and I’m guessing may not even start for the postseason

Yeah it's really interesting.  What nebraska is going to do. If they are going to go with Harley andrews wouldn't they let him get matches in? Nash is 4-1. Harley has a good win for b1g 10s by beating the Minnesota heavyweight.  Not sure which way they are leaning. Or if it all will come down to a wrestle off

It's interesting for sure. I'm guessing they rolled Nash out there at the end since the dual was in hand and there was a nice sized crowd, Nash got a nice pop when he was announced. I ultimately think Andrews gets the nod the rest of the way right? Andrews to me just looks better out there. It's hard for me not to imagine that Andrews would've handled the Illinois guy and the Wisconsin guy in more complete fashion.

These next 3 duals all have really high end HWTs and Andrews already got stuck once by Davison. I could see NU rolling Nash out against ASU if Schultz is a go since he's such a big galoot.

• Fire 1

24 minutes ago, Xmas32 said:

It's interesting for sure. I'm guessing they rolled Nash out there at the end since the dual was in hand and there was a nice sized crowd, Nash got a nice pop when he was announced. I ultimately think Andrews gets the nod the rest of the way right? Andrews to me just looks better out there. It's hard for me not to imagine that Andrews would've handled the Illinois guy and the Wisconsin guy in more complete fashion.

These next 3 duals all have really high end HWTs and Andrews already got stuck once by Davison. I could see NU rolling Nash out against ASU if Schultz is a go since he's such a big galoot.

I think alot could do with matchups to. Harley is really small and doesn't fair as well vs bigger guys

• Fire 1

1 hour ago, jajensen09 said:

I think alot could do with matchups to. Harley is really small and doesn't fair as well vs bigger guys

Yep that's true, at the same time, there aren't many competitions left!

• Fire 1

57 minutes ago, jajensen09 said:

Who has better chance of qualifying? How many heavys will the b1g 10 take? 

Based on the data we have it’s gotta be Andrews based primarily on the win over Tabor.  The guys Hutmacher has beaten (3 of which were by decision) have a combined record of 5-37…

Ding 0-5

Rosenfeld 1-11

Marinopoulos 1-4

Ruhlman 3-17

Although speaking of bad records, remember when Jack Jessen (who Andrews has a win over this year) qualified for NCAA’s with a 2-10 record?

54 minutes ago, jajensen09 said:

Andrews is 7-2 right now. 

isn’t he 10-9?

6 minutes ago, 1032004 said:

Based on the data we have it’s gotta be Andrews based primarily on the win over Tabor.  The guys Hutmacher has beaten (3 of which were by decision) have a combined record of 5-37…

Ding 0-5

Rosenfeld 1-11

Marinopoulos 1-4

Ruhlman 3-17

Although speaking of bad records, remember when Jack Jessen (who Andrews has a win over this year) qualified for NCAA’s with a 2-10 record?

isn’t he 10-9?

You could be right. Nebraska wrestling roster has him 7-2. That could be the wrong.  How many matches do you have to have in for winning percentage to count towards Big 10 seeding.

15 hours ago, jajensen09 said:

You could be right. Nebraska wrestling roster has him 7-2. That could be the wrong.  How many matches do you have to have in for winning percentage to count towards Big 10 seeding.

@1032004is spot on, Andrews is 10-9 currently. Took this from Huskers.com stats page. Apologies for the crappy formatting:

Date # Opponent (Team) Result 11/4 -- Devon Dawson (NDSU) L; F (6:20) 11/10 --

#15 Taye Ghadiali (Campbell)L: MD, 24-12

Navy Classic (Annapolis, Md.) DNP

(HWT) 11/18 -- Shane Noonan (Bloomsburg) W; F (1:14)

11/18     Dorian Crosby (Bucknell) L; D, 12-5

11/18 -- Ethan Miller (Lock Haven) W; F (1:05)

11/18 -- Logan Shephard (Bucknell) W; TF, 18-1 (3:48)

11/18 -- Ben Stemmet (The Citadel) L; F (0:54)

Cliff Keen Invite (Las Vegas, Nev.) DNP (HWT)

12/1 -- Jordan Greer (Ohio) W; D, 8-0 12/1 --

#3 Lucas Davison (Michigan) L; F (2:36)

12/1 -- Jose Valdez (Northern Iowa) L; D, 3-2

Soldier Salute (Coralville, Iowa) DNP (HWT)

12/29 - Seth Nitzel (Missouri) L; F (4:12)

12/29 - Jarrett Stoner (Missouri) W; TF, 20-4 (7:00)

12/29 - Billy McChesney (Columbia) W; TF, 17-0 (7:00)

12/29 - Thadd Huff (Bellarmine) W; F (3:39)

12/29 - Nate Schon (Iowa State) L; F (2:24)

12/29 - Tyler Mousaw (VMI) W; F (4:36)

1/6 - #17 Tyrell Gordon (UNI) L; MD, 9-1

1/19 - #28 Bennett Tabor (MINN) W; D, 10-7

1/26 - Jack Jessen (NU) W; TF, 15-0 (6:20)

2 minutes ago, Xmas32 said:

@1032004is spot on, Andrews is 10-9 currently. Took this from Huskers.com stats page. Apologies for the crappy formatting:

https://www.wrestlestat.com/wrestler/72965/andrews-harley/profile

https://www.wrestlestat.com/wrestler/92047/hutmacher-nash/profile

Other gents at Nebraska's disposal who have matches in, redshirt or not:

https://www.wrestlestat.com/wrestler/67259/van-tassell-brandyn/profile

https://www.wrestlestat.com/wrestler/84340/moore-matthew/profile

https://www.wrestlestat.com/wrestler/84339/thebeau-dominic/profile

• Fire 1

"I know actually nothing.  It isn't even conjecture at this point." - me

3 minutes ago, Xmas32 said:

Good stuff^ thank you. So this is interesting... Davison, kerk, Schultz left on the schedule... who do you run out there for that..? Nash? See what he can do, kind of know what andrews will do against those guys.

3 minutes ago, jajensen09 said:

Good stuff^ thank you. So this is interesting... Davison, kerk, Schultz left on the schedule... who do you run out there for that..? Nash? See what he can do, kind of know what andrews will do against those guys.

I think they have to put him out there against Schultz.  I don't see either one of them being able to beat the other two.  The only shot of beating Schultz is to have Hut out there trying to use his weight to slow down Schultz.  Not likely, but maybe something weird happens if he can keep it close.

• Fire 1

Craig Henning got screwed in the 2007 NCAA Finals.

5 minutes ago, jchapman said:

I think they have to put him out there against Schultz.  I don't see either one of them being able to beat the other two.  The only shot of beating Schultz is to have Hut out there trying to use his weight to slow down Schultz.  Not likely, but maybe something weird happens if he can keep it close.

Schultz has been very beatable this season....someone who matches his size and can do the bear dance with him for 7. minutes puts themselves in a position to win. 

• Fire 2

Sponsored by INTERMAT ⭐⭐⭐⭐

17 minutes ago, Idaho said:

Schultz has been very beatable this season....someone who matches his size and can do the bear dance with him for 7. minutes puts themselves in a position to win. 

Additional context: Schultz has had trouble with athletic heavies this year and that is because he is focusing on making an olympic team in greco. He will not have trouble with Hutmacher because of the wrestling style - one wrong move and the polar bear is going to be counting lights on that big iceberg in the sky. Schultz is a very dangerous matchup to any dancing bear who thinks they can rely on their raw horsepower. Ask Jordan Wood circa 2022

• Fire 1

i am an idiot on the internet

34 minutes ago, jajensen09 said:

Kerk probably destroys Hutmacher.  Well I’m sure he destroys Andrews too but maybe not quite as badly.

Thinking back to Pitzer last year I’d say Andrews would fare better against Schultz too.

But Hutmacher for Davison.

2 hours ago, 1032004 said:

Kerk probably destroys Hutmacher.  Well I’m sure he destroys Andrews too but maybe not quite as badly.

Thinking back to Pitzer last year I’d say Andrews would fare better against Schultz too.

But Hutmacher for Davison.

Agreed, Kerk TF/WBF both guys and I'd probably send Andrews out v. Schultz as he seems less likely to try and go upper body which is a terrible idea.

Davison, I don't think it really matters, he cooks both guys.