OGQ Wrestleoffs Determined

nhs67

For MFS Johnny D will challenge Nick Lee at 65 KG.

Nobody is challenging Zane Richards at 57 KG.

Amit Elor has officially entered her has at 68 KG and is among three ladies (Molinari and Velte) challenging Bruntil.

Winchester challenging our girl Parrish at 53 KG.

Page and Kilty will wrestle off to face Miracle at 62 KG.

All MGR spots up for grab at Senior Nationals.

https://www.themat.com/news/2023/december/07/athletes-set-for-feb-3-wrestle-offs-in-colorado-for-the-2023-pan-american-olympic-games-qualifier-team

• Fire 3

"I know actually nothing.  It isn't even conjecture at this point." - me

Just now, 1032004 said:

Surprising that no one would challenge Richards, no?

Arujau is dealing with something... maybe just burnout and not injury, but to need to descend to 57 KG and then be ready for Crookham, Fix, Nagao, etc?  Just not smart for him.  Focus on staying 133lbs, winning the title, then descending the same way they had Johnny D go from 149lbs to 65 KG.

2 minutes ago, nhs67 said:

Arujau is dealing with something... maybe just burnout and not injury, but to need to descend to 57 KG and then be ready for Crookham, Fix, Nagao, etc?  Just not smart for him.  Focus on staying 133lbs, winning the title, then descending the same way they had Johnny D go from 149lbs to 65 KG.

Yeah I would’ve thought Gilman at least…

6 minutes ago, Mr. PeanutButter said:

same. I'm surprised. Maybe Gilman is dealing with something

If Richards doesn't qualify the weight, that's it then, right? No other qualifying opportunities? 

In that case, no point in holding Olympic trials for this weight, right?

There is a global last chance qualifier too.

Drowning in data, but thirsting for knowledge

50 minutes ago, Mr. PeanutButter said:

same. I'm surprised. Maybe Gilman is dealing with something

If Richards doesn't qualify the weight, that's it then, right? No other qualifying opportunities? 

In that case, no point in holding Olympic trials for this weight, right?

Global LCQ will be whoever wins our OTT as well, so there's that.

If Richards earns the right there (again) then he will get to go.

I selfishly wish Elor would have bumped up to take on Adeline. I know it would be a tall task since she is rumored to not cut and weight classes exist for a reason. But like I said, I’m selfish. She is on a legend trajectory and taking on another legend would be the bee’s knees

i am an idiot on the internet

3 minutes ago, Wrestleknownothing said:

UWW always lists him as John in their brackets.

Screenshot_20231207_175824_Chrome.thumb.jpg.fb35dda6c5cf34f9f39ebeb4483b2dff.jpg

So my assumption was correct.  Johnny D ( I assume Yianni) will go against Lee.   That was my assumption.  I said nothing about results. 

mspart

5 minutes ago, mspart said:

So my assumption was correct.  Johnny D ( I assume Yianni) will go against Lee.   That was my assumption.  I said nothing about results. 

mspart

When you said "winner of D (Yianni I assume) and Lee" I assumed you were assuming about the winner rather than the identity since it is well known who is wrestling Lee.

Drowning in data, but thirsting for knowledge

9 hours ago, ILLINIWrestlingBlog said:

UNDISPUTED!

ILLINIWRESTLING468.jpg

All jokes aside, I think folks really misunderstand how much of a grind he went through that year at NCAAs.  He wrestled five (5) Top Ten guys in the highest level of Folkstyle wrestling in the world.

Round 1
Alex Madrigal, FR - Old Dominion, 12W-12L
Result: Win via FFT (Unsure why)

Round 2
#9 Scott Parker, SO - Lehigh, 20W-5L (8th place)
Result: Win via Decision 7-6 (SV-1)

Round 3
#1 Nathan Thomasello, JR - the Ohio State, 24W-1L (3rd place)
Result: Loss via Decision 3-1

Round 4
#10 Mitch McKee, FR - Minnesota, 21W-20L (R12)
Result: Loss via Major 14-6

Round 5
#5 Stevan Micic, FR- Michigan, 29W-7L (4th)
Result: Loss via Decision 6-5

Round 6
#9 Scott Parker, SO - Lehigh, 20W-5L (8th place)
Result: Win via Major 14-4

7th, in that bracket while wrestling those matches is a result.  He was on the mat for that tournament actually wrestling for over 35 minutes.  With how knock them down, grind them out his matches were I bet he was on a mat in wrestling matches for over an hour getting beat on and beating on them right back.

The 2023 US Open now?

Round 1
Yevier Lopez
Result: Win via Tech 0:27

Round 2
Brandon Meredith, 125lb Backup - South Dakota State University
Result: Win via Decision 6-1 (10-0)

Roudn 3
Mike Tortorice, 3x D3 AA (3, 2, then Favorite in cancelled 2020s)
Result: Win via Tech 2:20 (10-0)

Round 4
Jacob Comacho, 125lb Starter at N State
Result: Win via Decision 8-4

Round 5
Nicky Skeletor, 2x D1 NC, 3x AA, 4x NQ - Penn State, Rutgers, Michigan, Arizona State, Cal Poly, Italy/Croatia?
Result: Win via Decision 3-3 (TD with 27 seconds to go to win via criteria)

A grand total of 20 minutes with only one real 'Top Tier' wrestler and a lot of usual suspects at 57 KG not out.

I am not attempting to belittle his run - it was badass and got the job done.

That said, his NCAA run his 2017 Season was a Grinding as they get and impressive as well.

Add in that over the past three to four years he has grown, seemingly exponentially, every year.  He earned the #1 spot on our team last year by taking out the defending WORLD SILVER (2022), who was also WORLD CHAMP the year before (2021) in two straight matches.

It is very difficult to not be a fan of Richards.  He is a good guy and he is never one to make excuses in any match - ever.

16 hours ago, Wrestleknownothing said:

When you said "winner of D (Yianni I assume) and Lee" I assumed you were assuming about the winner rather than the identity since it is well known who is wrestling Lee.

That's what we get for assuming.    

mspart

Everyone should know Jonathon D at this point....  
(I have no clue who our Olympic Rep will be and neither do you, what a fun weight)

And I'm glad Amit went down, gives us a stronger team for sure. Her and Adeline should both win, Gray will be further removed from pregnancy and I'm sure will get in plenty of competition. She'll be ready 

2 hours ago, Spladle08 said:

Everyone should know Jonathon D at this point....  
(I have no clue who our Olympic Rep will be and neither do you, what a fun weight)

And I'm glad Amit went down, gives us a stronger team for sure. Her and Adeline should both win, Gray will be further removed from pregnancy and I'm sure will get in plenty of competition. She'll be ready 

Of course, his name is John Michael Diakomihalis

• Fire 1