College Football Playoff

WrestlingRasta

1 hour ago, VakAttack said:

Yes, I do think Georgia is the best team, but I also don't think they should have been in the playoff, because they lost.  That's because it's tough to be undefeated in college football.  And the CFP committee apparently agreed with me, because they didn't include them...but then, paradoxically, they DID include two other teams that DID lose, Alabama and Texas.  So are you saying you agree that Georgia is better than all those teams?  You're arguing like three different things, while all I'm arguing for is consistency.  If we're just making subjective picks, Georgia should have been in.  If we're basing it off actual results on the field, FSU should have been in.  As it is, it's just "vibes in the moment."

Please tell me the  three things you’ve fabricated that I’m arguing for. I’ll wait. 

1 hour ago, mspart said:

Undefeated should go in before defeated.   Especially if they are from one of the big conferences.   FSU should have been in the playoff.   which of TX and AL should have been in the playoff.   Tough to say as both lost.  

mspart

It’s really a power two already and will be even more so next year when the PAC 12 disbands.   

2 hours ago, VakAttack said:

When Florida State played LSU, they were ranked 5th in the country.  They can't control how LSU plays elsewhere, but what else do you want FSU to do with their out of conference schedule besides schedule those games.  Do you know what highly ranked teams Alabama beat from other conferences?  Zero.

I didn't say it was far away, why are you arguing with yourself?

When Texas played Alabama the first game of the year what were they each ranked?  

19 minutes ago, JimmyBT said:

When Texas played Alabama the first game of the year what were they each ranked?  

Not the first game of the year for either team (as opposed to FSU vs LSU), but they were 11 and 3 respectively.

2 hours ago, VakAttack said:

When Florida State played LSU, they were ranked 5th in the country.  They can't control how LSU plays elsewhere, but what else do you want FSU to do with their out of conference schedule besides schedule those games.  Do you know what highly ranked teams Alabama beat from other conferences?  Zero.

I didn't say it was far away, why are you arguing with yourself?

2023 Strength of Schedule 

Alabama #3

Texas #17

Florida St #50 

On 1/2/2024 at 10:52 AM, VakAttack said:

Must have somehow happened upon the Alabama playbook. 

In a new level of scandal it has been revealed that Michigan actually inserted that last play in the Alabama playbook.  Then used mind control to make Nick Saban call the play.  Harbaugh is truly at the next level in this cheating stuff.  

• Fire 2
  • Haha 1

17 hours ago, Lipdrag said:

In a new level of scandal it has been revealed that Michigan actually inserted that last play in the Alabama playbook.  Then used mind control to make Nick Saban call the play.  Harbaugh is truly at the next level in this cheating stuff.  

Yeah, that play was a real head scratcher.   Who calls for a QB sneak 3 yards out with the game on the line?   Maybe the QB just did it.  But he got stuffed.   Not Bama's high note for sure. 

mspart

• Fire 1

It sounds like the six top ranked conference champion teams qualify. Of those the top four receive a first round bye.   The rest I’m guessing are picked off a similar criteria to what’s being used now.  A combo of strength of schedule, record, head to head, common opponents , injured players. 

• Fire 1

31 minutes ago, mspart said:

OK, so how exactly does the new 12 team format work?

mspart

I know the top 4 teams get byes. It will be interesting if the higher seed will get to play at their own stadium. I do know that all conference champs get in. But is the Pac12 completely gone?

6 minutes ago, JimmyBT said:

It sounds like the six top ranked conference champion teams qualify. Of those the top four receive a first round bye.   The rest I’m guessing are picked off a similar criteria to what’s being used now.  A combo of strength of schedule, record, head to head, common opponents , injured players. 

What are the 6 conferences? Isn't the pac12 gone.

11 minutes ago, Paul158 said:

I know the top 4 teams get byes. It will be interesting if the higher seed will get to play at their own stadium. I do know that all conference champs get in. But is the Pac12 completely gone?

They’ll probably try to keep milking the bowl format, eh?

• Fire 1

10 minutes ago, Plasmodium said:

They’ll probably try to keep milking the bowl format, eh?

I have read where the first 4 games will be played at one team's home field and this is not a bowl game.   After this there are 8 teams left 4 byes and 4 winners.   The Next set of games are bowl games for 1/4 and semi.   So yes, they will use the bowl system to carry out the bracket.   The final will be toward the end of Jan.   The semi will take place 2nd weekend of Jan.  

From https://www.ncaa.com/news/football/article/2023-12-03/how-12-team-college-football-playoff-will-work-teams-schedule-bids

2024 quarterfinals: Fiesta Bowl, Peach Bowl, Rose Bowl and Sugar Bowl
2024 semifinals: Cotton Bowl and Orange Bowl 

Fiesta Bowl | Quarterfinals Dec. 31
Peach, Rose, Sugar Bowl | Quarterfinals Jan. 1
Orange Bowl | Semifinals Jan. 9
Cotton Bowl | Semifinals Jan. 10
Atlanta, GA | National Championship Jan. 20

I understand this and the article explains qualifiers but it seems disjointed to me.   Thanks for the input everyone.

mspart

• Fire 2

6 minutes ago, mspart said:

Pac-12 is now the Pac 2.   Yes it is gone.  

SEC, ACC, B1G, Big12, that's 4 of six.   Are there other conferences in the list?

mspart

I'm assuming they'll tweak it to 4 guaranteed for the now power 4 conferences, one at large non power conference, and the rest by ranking

• Fire 1
  • Haha 1

I Don't Agree With What I Posted

19 minutes ago, PortaJohn said:

I'm assuming they'll tweak it to 4 guaranteed for the now power 4 conferences, one at large non power conference, and the rest by ranking

I wonder if the teams will have complete line-ups. All seniors staying and playing ,no transfer portals leaving and all NFL  prospects still playing since they can still win a National Championship?

1 hour ago, Paul158 said:

What are the 6 conferences? Isn't the pac12 gone.

I believe there are ten total FBS conferences.  They’ll use the six champions with the highest ranking so it could be different from year to year. I think this covers realignment that’s probably still coming by not designating the six and letting the rankings play a part. 

Edited by JimmyBT

40 minutes ago, mspart said:

Pac-12 is now the Pac 2.   Yes it is gone.  

SEC, ACC, B1G, Big12, that's 4 of six.   Are there other conferences in the list?

mspart

There are currently 10 FBS conferences.  They’ll use the six champions out of the ten with the highest ranking.  

It will also be interesting to see if the conference championships remain a thing. With the At large bids being half the 12 team field I can’t imagine conferences will want to stick one of their better teams with a loss in that game. Could negatively impact a team getting a bid or at a minimum a lower seed.